Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Kits

wraub

Greetings all. Simply a bass player with a question here...

I am looking for an inexpensive guitar, something to do some recording with at home. Demo stuff, mostly. I don't really care all that much about its appearance, but I'd like it to at least sound good.

I have been looking at (among other things) kits on ebay, simply because the price is right, and I have actually built instruments from scratch in the past.

But, I am curious: Anyone here have any experience with the kits from Saga, AXL, etc.?

I have heard mixed things about Saga's woodwork, but welcome all responses.

Thanks!

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that paying over $100 for a kit, then having to do the work, is worth the few bucks that you might save over buying a used Fender Squire or similar instrument. I saw those kits at $90 plus $25 shipping. For about $35-50 more, you get the known entity of a name brand guitar with a known sound. That is a no brainer for me.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Yeah, I am definitely looking now at SX and Agile, between Maury's suggestion and bpark's wisdom.

The reviews on both look pretty tempting.

I think a Road Trip sounds like a capital idea,

I would definitely prefer playing before buying-

even though it would expose my impressive lack of practiced guitar chops to those assembled. :)

Plus the money saved on shipping might just buy us lunch or something...

Maury, we should talk. :D

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

I don't think that paying over $100 for a kit, then having to do the work, is worth the few bucks that you might save over buying a used Fender Squire or similar instrument. I saw those kits at $90 plus $25 shipping. For about $35-50 more, you get the known entity of a name brand guitar with a known sound. That is a no brainer for me.

Bill

Right on Bill!!! :thu:

Archived