Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keeping long cords from tangling up

revorhythm

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never had that particular problem ..however... I have an idea..go to the hardware store ..buy a chord reel that is usually used to windup and coil trouble lights like is used in garages for extension chords... take off the electrical chord and replace it with your guitar cable... make a belt attachment for the reel that will fit on your belt... have a short piece of guitar cable from the back of the reel going to your guitar input and the coiled up cable going to your amp. feed only the amount of cable out of the reel that you need. This might sound strange to you but a larger version of this idea is how we organize our 75 and 150 ft. PA snakes.

Cross wrap it, thats how they store studio cables so when they toss them out towards a mic stand, or stage box, they don't tangle.

Leave the unused portion coiled up and velcro it near to the amp side.

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

That is a terrible idea for snakes. It forces twists into the cables. I argued this point at CBI for years. Then when I finally got them to take the 250 footers off of the reels, and they were in just horrible shape. I gave them a loose cable stoirage design, they had the cases made, and moved intot hat case design.

For single shielded things like guitar and mic cables, simply learning how to properly coil them will save you years and money. I replace my mic and guitar cables about every 10 or 12 years, because at that time the jackets are getting stiff. But my cables lay flat, because I do not force them to do anything else.

No pro audio companies touring use reels. Video companies do, but ... well, they are video guys. duh. There is one regional sound guy around here who still packs all of his mic cables on a huge reel, and it is a PITA every time he comes into a building. Just learn how to treat cables, and they'll last a long time and lay flat.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Who am I to argue with a professional sound guy! so I wont here (and you know how I love to argue!) I have had these two snakes on reels for eight years..I even just went and found the receipts from Ann Arbor Sound .... its been over eight years now and they have not failed because shorts or breakage yet. However you use your snakes MUCH MORE than my group does I know that ours are rolled out now only eight or nine times a month and I know you guys handle them much more.

Originally posted by ellwood:

.... its been over eight years now and they have not failed because shorts or breakage yet. .

Yeah, it isn't a shortage or breakage issue unless they are -really- abused. It is a kinkage and won't lay flat issue. You often see reeled snakes with the underlying sheilding twisted, and the conductors twisted some different way, and all of it is lumpy and ugly and twisted differenty than the jacket. It gets worse as you get near the hub. Can't be good.

But if you learn to properly wrap the snakes, they lay out a lot faster loose than they do off of reels, and it is a lot easier, too.

One of the coolest reels that I ever saw: the sound company just took a giant spool, built a tray that took up about half of the spool height, and mounted regular case wheels in the bottom of the tray, pointed up. The flanges of the hub rolled on the wheels. Because it was so large, there was room in the inside of the hub for about 20 feet of spool-off for the one end. But the whole thing was way too big for clubs.... about the square of a Marshall cab, but deeper.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Ahhh haaa..I see what you mean! I gettin a picture of what the sound company did! these reels that we use started out life as overhead industrial air hose recoil spools and recoil mechanisms.. I had the spot welds where the spool meets the side skirts ground off and a wider hub welded on to the original hub... the original mounting flanges where rebent and moved to the sides so that they encased the berings on each side then a platform made and welded to the new mounting flanges...no wheels YET!!! now you got me thinking!!! again... we have two sets of handles mounted to the flanges and two guys walk with it and roll out what they need from the mixing console...recoiling the snake is very easy as you might imagine BUT they are heavy...SO WHEEL TIME IM THINKING!!!!

Buy good cables.

Understand that all cables have a natural lie to them and you should never force coil anything.

Great cables will just drop and walk with you. If you start to force them by yanking or forcing them around your arm to spool them you twist everything out of order. It all goes to shit from there.

The same rules apply to cords as steel cables and rubber hose..

You've been warned.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Well its like it wraps around itself. as in it twists up itself and atys unless i hold it up and let it unwind. kinda weird, not a big deal, but can be annoying because it makes a long cable shorter, so when im walkin around to answer phones or whtever it causes a prob. oh well, thanx anyways!

(ps i would buy shorter cables, but even the ones i use now are from my bro or buddies, so basically im cheap and havent bought my own.)

hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

Originally posted by ellwood:

....and two guys walk with it and roll out what they need from the mixing console...

See, that is what I mean. I can pull out a 250 foot snake by myself, from the case I designed. Obviously, it won't coil up as fast, but I can still do it by myself very quickly, and the snake is loosely packed. You have to keep a snake tight on a reel, and that is what messes things up.

Bill

Steve Martin

Originally posted by revorhythm:

Well its like it wraps around itself. as in it twists up itself and atys unless i hold it up and let it unwind. kinda weird, not a big deal, but can be annoying because it makes a long cable shorter, so when im walkin around to answer phones or whtever it causes a prob. oh well, thanx anyways!

(ps i would buy shorter cables, but even the ones i use now are from my bro or buddies, so basically im cheap and havent bought my own.)

Sounds like the way you're wrapping it up is putting a twist in it. Lay it out flat on the back yard, secure one end so it won't move, and then starting from that, pinch the cable and run your hand along it towards the free end. This will *improve* the situation as it will take *some* of the twists out of the cable - but not all.

The only way to have a flat cable is to wrap it up in a way that doesn't put a twist in it.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by revorhythm:

I See, the walking around thing may be the problem. I have a tendency to always turn to the right, so I twist up my guitar cable in a hurry. I have to force myself to remember to tun left every now and then. I try to remember to sit when playing now. I sit in the band, so it's not a stretch to sit while practicing.

Peace,

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

I See, the walking around thing may be the problem. I have a tendency to always turn to the right, ...

Paul

Paul; stop walking in circles... you'll never get anywhere!!!! :)

Really though, think about how that must look to the audience. And your shrink. ("'Vot is this strange complulsion you have with the RIGHT, my boy.....are you really a conservative at heart??")

Bill

Steve Martin

Archived