Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which version: Winters or Derringers??

Dr. Ellwood

Of the two versions of Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo, which version do you prefer? If you like one over the other..say why?

Couldn't stop moving when it first took hold.

It was a warm spring night at the old town hall.

There was a group called 'The Jokers' they were layin' it down.

Don't ya know I'm never gonna lose that funky sound.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have to say that my favorite version is the Rick Derringer version from Derringer Live :thu:

This is now available on CD and it's perfect Derringer start to finish. This live version has so much energy and a perfect flow to it. Would have been magnificent to have been there live...

that's all I can say 'bout that.

IMO

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

I'm afraid I'd have to go with Rick Derringer's version. Johnny Winter's version is good, too. But I prefer Rick Derringer's.

We saw him live a looooong time ago (1978?) at the Omni in Atlanta. Rock N' Roll Hoochie Koo live is even better than the album cut.

Finally bought "All American Boy" on CD after I retired my vinyl collection.

Born on the Bayou

Derringer: White's version is just a tad too rough for me when compared to RD's. Sounds like he can't quite sing.

Plus it doesn't hurt that RD is the one that I grew up with on the radio. A little nastalgia never hurts.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Well ok its time for me to vote: I going to have to vote for Johnnys version..the three piece version.. I saw Johnny do this with the little group live and holy crap..it was so comletely out of hand I had my jaw in the ground and believe me Im not easily impressed!!! I mean I dont even know how to tell ya .... then I saw him with Rick and it was great but Winter let Rick take most of the lead parts and Rick kicked in flanging and chorus and who knows what else and wham..it lost it... I saw Johnny use the old firebird on it and ... woah!!!! to do that with a three piece was amazing...not a strong enough word for it I will never forget that.

Johnny was awesome back in the day. Now he sits through gigs like BB, and it's uncanny that he's unmoving to the point of seeming statuesque. I mean the guy doesn't budge, other than his hands while playing. It's almost as if a type of paralysis has set in. Very sad.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Archived