Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about replacing a humbucker...

mash

I'm thinking ahead to when I'll want to replace one of the pickups on my agile al-2800. Since the stock humbuckers are only worth $25 a piece, eventually I'm going to upgrade.

I was looking into gibson humbuckers, and there are lots of vintage ones that I'm interested in. The ones I'm interested in are the Burstbucker, the vintage 57, and the original. Does anyone have any experience with any of them? They're all around $100, so price isn't really an issue.

I was thinking about getting one of these for clean tones, and later on getting an Angus Young humbucker for the bridge. If anyone has any input, I'd love to hear it (it doesn't have to be a gibson humbucker, but I would prefer one with a nickel cover).

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check the pots, as they may be more suspect than the pickups themselves. There's no point in matching expensive pickups to questionable pots. I'm not saying yours are, but the guitar is built for a price point, and unseen parts are a good place to cut costs.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Check the pots, as they may be more suspect than the pickups themselves. There's no point in matching expensive pickups to questionable pots. I'm not saying yours are, but the guitar is built for a price point, and unseen parts are a good place to cut costs.

I don't know very much about the inside of a guitar. I've opened them and looked around, but nothing past that. What does the pot do and where are they located? Thanks :freak:

The pots are what your volume and tone control knobs are attached to, via shaft that runs from the knobs to beneath the top on your LP, and under the pickguard on your bullet. Cheap guitars come with cheap pots, almost always. Changing them should be your first strategy.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

i agree on the volume and tone pot upgrade. if you are serious about getting angus style tone look for PAF equivalent pickups ala Seymour Duncan '59s.

or the burstbucker gibsons.

i wonder just how different an Angus young Humbucker would actually be from a burstbucker. i would bet they are the same thing in design. if they are both based on a PAF, Angus's name isn't about to make it sound any better. check the specs.

I looked up fender 500ks on ebay, and I found a few listed. They look like they're meant for a strat though...Will they work for the LP? There are some Gibson 500ks on musicians friend if the fenders wouldn't.

Anyway, I'm looking into SD pickups. Thanks for the help guys.

Archived