Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stage Pressence

ibanezbob209

True statement, its hard to find, true meaning in punk. But thas why i dont listenin to much "new" punk. Green Day is something i only recently have even admitted as punk, and even that was hard to do. I stick to the older bands, the foundations of punk. And thats the viewpoint i make my stand on.
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by revorhythm:

True statement, its hard to find, true meaning in punk. But thas why i dont listenin to much "new" punk. Green Day is something i only recently have even admitted as punk, and even that was hard to do. I stick to the older bands, the foundations of punk. And thats the viewpoint i make my stand on.

Is your goal as a guitar player to play like the older punk groups? and if you are a writer is that the style you would write in?

As far as stage pressence vs. playing well, they are both important. It's obvious that practicing your sets, especialy while standing (see one of Ellwood's posts)so you can play everything well is imparative. On the other hand if you don't think about stage pressence, even if you play well, you can bore an audience or just look silly. I have a friend who recorded a show only to find out that he bounced up and down all night. Looked like he was riding an invisable horse the whole set. Not Good! Kiss used to video tape every practice to both listen and watch the rehersal. Musically Kiss was average, but their show made them the "...biggest band in the world..!" With that said, it is very easy to over do it and just look cheesy as hell! Unless you're Pete Townsend or Eddy VH for GOD SAKE DON'T DO ANY JUMPS!!!!...Oh and one last thing about Punk bands. It seems a lot of guys are saying that Punk musicians don't care about image...LOL!! I think punk bands have thought more about their "Image" than most other genres. Punk is very much about the Image IMO.

And nice to see Slayer and NOT Santana in that list Lee.

Well, jeez hard question. My main influence is Social Distortion as you prolly already know. But I'm more apt to sound like that and other punk bands around that era. Therefore i take idea's, beleifs,the culture of classic punk to guide me, but thas not really my sound. My goal as a guitar player is to take roots music, and add punk "attitude" or flavor to it. Like Social D on their "Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell", "Prison Bound", and Self titled records. Most of those songs are basically country and blues songs, but they have that added punk edge. Same in writing.

Well, jeez hard question. My main influence is Social Distortion as you prolly already know. But I'm more apt to sound like that and other punk bands around that era. Therefore i take idea's, beleifs,the culture of classic punk to guide me, but thas not really my sound. My goal as a guitar player is to take roots music, and add punk "attitude" or flavor to it. Like Social D on their "Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell", "Prison Bound", and Self titled records. Most of those songs are basically country and blues songs, but they have that added punk edge. Same in writing.

Ok great and a well thought out...do you want to take your guitar playing abilities beyond what you hear the punk players doing or is their level of playing skill good enough for what you will be doing?

Another hard question. The answer is yes, because i have a broad range of influence, punk mainly, but punk isnt anything without its roots. I like to develop blues, country, and rockabilly playing, and make them punk. Most true punk players have great skill (disregarding pop punk), depending on our definition of skill. Which we should probably define, so as to be on the same page.

....not sure if i answered the question fully.

Another hard question. The answer is yes, because i have a broad range of influence, punk mainly, but punk isnt anything without its roots. I like to develop blues, country, and rockabilly playing, and make them punk. Most true punk players have great skill (disregarding pop punk), depending on our definition of skill. Which we should probably define, so as to be on the same page.

....not sure if i answered the question fully.

Ok great..was just wondering..well we have some problems here trying to define skill so its probably better off left alone.

I've never been a fan of "punk". Maybe I just don't understand it. I've always been fairly eclectic where my musical tastes are concerned. But I just don't "get" punk.

I know Orgy is "industrial" and not "punk".

You would think that a signed act that puts out a commercial CD like Orgy would have to have some pretty good musical talent. I really like their rendition of "Blue Monday". But imagine my surprise when I realized that they play it in drop D and it's just a single barred chord moved up and down the neck. That takes no talent at all to play. If there's talent on that cut, I don't know where they're hiding it unless the drummer has it all.

But I like it. Go figure...

I do wonder, though, why them and not me? Is it their showmanship, stage presence?

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

I've never been a fan of "punk". Maybe I just don't understand it. I've always been fairly eclectic where my musical tastes are concerned. But I just don't "get" punk.

I know Orgy is "industrial" and not "punk".

You would think that a signed act that puts out a commercial CD like Orgy would have to have some pretty good musical talent. I really like their rendition of "Blue Monday". But imagine my surprise when I realized that they play it in drop D and it's just a single barred chord moved up and down the neck. That takes no talent at all to play. If there's talent on that cut, I don't know where they're hiding it unless the drummer has it all.

But I like it. Go figure...

I do wonder, though, why them and not me? Is it their showmanship, stage presence?

Punk..taking the craft to new lows..hay but didnt you know..The Clash is a much better and talented group than Journey! oh ya.. somebody said Journeys material was regarded as trash..wow didnt know that!

Well sorta... Its not that I hate it universally..actually I liked Strummer alot..not for his playing AT ALL..I liked him for his heart and his unshakeable determination. I know the background very well the history the area he came from..been there many times hung out in the pubs talked to lots of people there and all that. I have a couple of punk musicians in my family one was with Iggy... one with the MC5 sorta early punk but not really ..anyway.. yes I think it is not challenging but really more than that I have always been very serious about trying to keep the image of guitar players at a high level..I mean the instrument is as difficult to play as any other instrument.. it is a legitimate instrument!! I studies piano for allot of years too and I always want everyone musicians as well as the general public to give it the credit and praise it deserves... I love the instrument and the players of it..I cannot stand to see anyone treat its output as non musical noise... I dont think the punk movement as far as guitar playing did it justice because of laziness and not caring.

Well, i mean i understand the stigma that punk is really simple, and if you mean this new "pop punk" your correct. But if you look at a lot of bands their guitar work is very much based on those types of music. From blues, to country, irish, to well, hell, even surf. Look at bands like Tiger Army, Agent Orange, Bad Religion, and Flogging Molly.

Archived