Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dreadnaught Vs. Jumbo

Blue Strat

Ok, as most of you who know me are aware, I'm not much of an acoustic picker. I've got an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe that spends a lot of time in it's case, and a Yamaha CG-101MS that spends a lot more time in my hands than the Ovation. Lately I've been thinking of selling the Ovation and getting a decent but inexpensive Dreadnaught.

My main complaint with the Ovation is high action and excessive tension of the steel strings. I've played a Martin dreadnaught that I just loved but I don't want to spend two grand on an acoustic guitar. I'm looking to spend no more than about $300 for a decent Dreadnaught with medium-low action and light strings (.011's). A piezo pickup would be nice, but I've got mics and I'm probably not going to be using it for anything more than pickin' on the porch, home recording in my project studio, or playing it at church.

Any ideas on what I should look at?

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you considered checking out the Ovation, getting a tech to give it a setup? That could be the problem. I'd venture to say that possibly with a neck adjustment and some new strings, the Ovation might play just as well as something else. I'd do that first. And the tech might tell ya "Dude, it's hopeless" or "yeah, all she needs is a little tweakaroo"...

If that fails...just trot down to the local music store and play a bunch, 'til you find one that suits you.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I saw the EJ-200 online. That's one on my list of "must try" guitars. Revo, have you played one? How did it compare to the Gibson J-200? The Martin I played had a scooped mid tone where the Gibson had a nice balanced tone all across it's frequency range.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

My Ovation has low, fast action and great playability with the 10's I use. Keep the strap on and it will stop sliding off your lap. I also have an old Gibson J200 that plays and sounds great, but is very quiet due to overbracing when the top was repaired before I owned it. The Ovation is brighter and louder, but the Gibson is sweeter and is nicer to record with. I'd hate to part with either one, neither of which get much use, but I'd naturally keep the Gibson if it came down to choosing. I hope you try to tweak your Ovation before giving up on it, as they are very nice guitars.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

IF you go for the Epi jumbo, don't buy it online. Go someplace where you can try several out and choose between them, because they definitely NOT all the same.

On the dreadnaught side, Alvarez has some nice sounding, low-cost dreads with solid tops. I do not remember the model number, but I see them in every music store I go into, so they shouldn't be hard to find. IF you're not loking for a hotsy-totsy-wanna-leave-this-to my-kid kind of guitar, those will get the job done.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

I've got a Gibson SJ-200 (a Pete Townshend Limited Edition that I "won" a year ago in a Gibson online sweepstakes) that is a very nice sounding guitar. Nice and loud, and it does have a better balanced tone across the full range than Martin dreadnaughts usually have. See if you can find one of those Epis to try out. Might be just the ticket.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

blue strat, boy i wish i could have played one. but to tell ya the truth, none of the stores around me have any good epi acoustics. But one of my buddies dad, has an old jumbo epi acoustic, and i wish it were mine. ive also played a couple other jumbo epi's along the way and i cant complain about any of em. i would seriously consider an epi if you cant afford the gibson. also, pickers got it right when hes says try em out in a store, i think something we all know is that no acoustic (or electric for that matter)is alike, its really a matter of trying them out. good luck!
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

Archived