Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"L" Series Strats

Kramer Ferrington III.

Besides the fact that they're made in 1965 just before the CBS takeover, is there anything else that's interesting or special about them?

I've read somewhere that the body is slightly thicker than a normal strat, but I don't know if it's true or not.

I'm curious about this because I read an interview once where this guy described one of his stratocasters specifically as an "L" series strat, rather than a "pre CBS" strat or a "1965" strat.

I'm just wondering why the fact that it was an "L" series was so important or noteworthy. Anybody know?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as far as I know (and I'm no Fender historian...) the L was simply a letter before the serial number on the neck plate of some years of Fender guitars, during the 1960s. The story about the neck-plate box int he factory is common, how they just grabbed any old plate from a big box full of them when bolting on a neck, and so year designations could be off. But the same neck plates were used on several Fender models ( the same size neck plate is used on all of the guitars, a diffrent size on the bass.) so I doubt that there is, and I never haerd of, an "L Series Strat".

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

so I doubt that there is, and I never haerd of, an "L Series Strat".

Oh, they DO exist: one can find references to them on Google.

But very few references, and most of pages I've found don't get into why there should be an "L" series anyway (ie what's different about them)

There's THIS ad,

http://www.superpage.com/riffs/desc_fender_strat.html

but it sounds like a lot of sales bullsh!t.

And this guy isn't saying much either...

http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/FenS1964LSB.htm

I guess I'm just puzzled as to why they'd mention the series anyway. Maybe it's because they can't be 100% sure of the production year?

Originally posted by Vince C.:

so I doubt that there is, and I never haerd of, an "L Series Strat".

Oh, they DO exist: one can find references to them on Google.

I thnk that it is just a common reference term. As evidenced by this quote...

"All Models, summer 1954 to mid 1976

Serial number on neckplate. In 1957/1958 some serial numbers started with a minus sign ("-"), or had a "0" prefix before the number. Also in 1959/1960 some serial numbers were at the bottom of the neck plate instead of the usual top. Double stamped serial number plates were also produced (number on both front and back of the neck plate) in late 1957 to early 1959. As a good example of all four of these serial number oddities, click here. This shows a "double stamped" neck plate, one number with a "-" prefix and stamped on the bottom of the plate, and the other number with a "0" prefix! And yes there is some overlap in serial numbers between years.

4 to 6 digit Neck Plate Serial Numbers

No other letters or markings on the neck plate, except for the rare "-" or "0" prefix, as noted.

0001 to 6000 = 1954

6000 to 9000 = 1955

9000 to 16000 = 1956

16000 to 25000 = 1957 (some numbers with a "0" or "-" prefix)

25000 to 30000 = 1958 (some numbers with a "0" or "-" prefix)

30000 to 40000 = 1959

40000 to 58000 = 1960

55000 to 72000 = 1961

72000 to 93000 = 1962

93000 to 99999 = 1963

L-Series (1963 to late 1965)

Serial number on neckplate preceded with an "L". Considered Pre-CBS (even though CBS bought Fender in January 1965). Sometimes an "L" serial number can be seen on a late 1962 model.

L00001 to L20000 = 1963

L20000 to L55000 = 1964

L55000 to L99999 = 1965

F-Series (late 1965 to mid-1976)

Big script "F" on neckplate below serial number. Known as the CBS era.

100000 to 110000 = late 1965...."

So I refernece you to the statement "all models" and if you look at the serial numbers/dates, it seems that we are talking about any strat from '63 through '65, with some possible '62s or '66s. Doesn't appear to be a 'model' with particular features/appointments, or anything else that we generally associate with a "model" or "series", other than being Fenders produced and labeled through those particular years. Are there any model differences that occured during those years? Probably. It was a transtitonal period for Fender, and they were always making small changes to the line... though things like pickups and windings and electronics pretty much stayed unchanged. But I don't recall anything designated "NEW!! The L Series Stratocaster!!!!" from Fender. (I worked at a Fender dealership in 1965....)

If you want to read more, this guy has a lot of great info about guitars and amps...

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I thnk that it is just a common reference term. As evidenced by this quote...

Yeah, that's the conclusion I was coming to as well, it just seems to be a shorthand way of say "a strat built during those years".

The term "L Series Strat" sounds pretty snazzy, pity there's not a real lot behind it. :)

Archived