Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dude, I suck!!

Blue Strat

I haven't been playing my guitar much over the last year, and now after a long dry-spell I'm getting back into playing a bit. A good bit of the dexterity I used to have in my fingers isn't there anymore. :( I can still remember a lot of the licks I knew, but my fingers are having a hard time pulling them off. My rythym playing hasn't been really been affected, just my solo chops.

I need to practice, practice, practice!

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Blue Strat:

I haven't been playing my guitar much over the last year, and now after a long dry-spell I'm getting back into playing a bit. A good bit of the dexterity I used to have in my fingers isn't there anymore. :( I can still remember a lot of the licks I knew, but my fingers are having a hard time pulling them off. My rythym playing hasn't been really been affected, just my solo chops.

I need to practice, practice, practice!

Try a 10 year break. Then you'll REALLY suck. :cry:

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Don't push yourself (leads to CTS). Relax, enjoy the process, find the joy in just playing at whatever level you can handle. Don't play a lot of scales and arpeggios unless it brings you joy: do play songs and licks that you love. Do it every day; 15 min. every day is better than 2 hrs. on Sunday. The chops will come back, faster than you expect.

Don't push yourself (leads to CTS). Relax, enjoy the process, find the joy in just playing at whatever level you can handle. Don't play a lot of scales and arpeggios unless it brings you joy: do play songs and licks that you love. Do it every day; 15 min. every day is better than 2 hrs. on Sunday. The chops will come back, faster than you expect.

P.S. Make sure you don't get so wrapped up in your new Mexican girlfriend and her baby that you don't play! Learn Mexican songs and play them to her.

I've never taken more than a couple weeks off - during vacations away. Now I'm blessed with 2 steady gigs a week, and I still hit other jams when I can. I would be unsafe to be around if I couldn't play for extended periods. I've actually found myself visiting music shops and pawnshops on vacation just to diddle on a guitar, and I've bought more than one on such excursions. I'm hooked on playing, and can't imagine life without it.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Earlier this year I spent some time in hospital after an injury that temporarily left me with, amongst other things, memory and speech problems. After a few days, once I started to work out where I was, I wondered if my ability to play would be affected. I was pretty relieved when I could mentally visualise playing through Cavatina. I'm always amazed by the way my fingers can sometimes play pieces that I haven't played for several months or even years...... my memory has never been all that good to begin with. It's a mystery.

I haven`t taken more than a couple weeks off either. The last year I`ve been living in a small space surrounded by other people. It`s difficult to practice, especially plugged in. My once infinitely long temper has dwindled to about 1.5 centimeters-on a good day.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I didn't play for 25 years, having worked in bands from the age of 13 through till 1979, when my firstborn came along.

My partner urged me to take it up again about 18 months ago. It took about 6 months to get back to where I could stand up in a jam again.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Hey, I've had many times where I had to put down the guitar or cut back on it for other things and came back feeling stale or just plain "sucked". I've found that each time I get it back together I'm like a different guitarist in a way or two.

Being impatient with "returning to form" had a lot to do with my tendinitis. Practice "well" and carefully. Look at the "owwww" thread if you're concerned about any of this.

I've found that learning a new tune is a good way to go, since you don't know the tune you don't ever have the "I used to do this better" thing going on in your head.

Also, since you're like (hopefully, anyway) hooking up with a girl who is Mexican, I'm going to make a recommendation, learn this tune: Estrelita by Ponce. It apparently was a very popular song in Mexico, and Ponce is one of the greatest composers for guitar (not a lot, but quality). I don't know that he arranged Estrelita for guitar, but others have. He got like ripped off by the publisher in that he got nothing for the royalties from it and was a rather poor guy while also being maybe the most important Mexican composer.

He is considered a "romatic" composer, not really a "modern" in any way even though he is a twentieth century composer. He wrote a lot of pieces for Segovia in "older" styles. Some were published under deceased baroque composer's names, though there are tell tale things that musicians hear that clue them in that they didnt' sound old.

In a Prelude and Ballet attributed to Weiss (baroque lute guy), he uses a fair amount of major and minor seventh chords (on down beats with non of this "passing tone" stuff going on) which clued me in that something was "different" about this "baroque" tune. Also clues (that I missed when I learned it) was a lack of ornaments and the shifts between 3/4 and 6/8 which apparently was a give-away of his heritage. A few other tunes he wrote in other styles, and some are major parts of the classical guitar repetoire.

Estelita is just a nice little tune, a "miniature" at least in the versions I've seen.

You'll get your playing back in order and maybe make some points too.

Here is a link where you'll see a link to a gif file and some "tab software" file of it. http://www.classicalguitar.nl/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4563

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Archived