Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

~Otis Rush~

DIAMOND DUST

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for posting that. Never heard him before.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

I saw Koko Taylor ages ago, and I think that Otis Rush (one of THE classic electric-blues guitarists for the last, oh, forty-odd years!) :cool: was one of the two guitarists on-stage. At least, if I remember right, there was a left-handed guy playing a Gibson 355-kinda guitar who looked a lot like him him there...

Be a little while 'fore I can DL it (weird intermittant phone-line trouble here), but, THANKS, DD!

Hey, Haga, I haven't seen you here before; I love the avatar-image, and the "From:88 Elmira Street"-line! :cool::thu: Welcome to the GPF!

I always felt bad for that little Stardog, too...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Bluesape:

"I saw him live in Tucson 20 - odd years ago, playing a 355 - never saw anyone else squeeze more tone and expression out of one note. Even BB could take a lesson from him in that regard."

Yeah, I've thought that he manages to sound both 'uptown' and 'downtown' at the same time; a lot of class and smoothness and a lot of deep soulful fire!

Slightly OT, but seeing B.B. King has been one of the highlights of my concert going experience. He may be 70 something, he may sit in a chair the entire performance, but the man knows how to play, sing, and work a crowd. :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Saw BB a couple of times around '93/'94. I thought he was great but wish he could control his weight better for his sake. I'd like to see him around alot longer.

The first show I saw was BB with Buddy Guy and Eric Johnson. The blues crowd didn't take to Eric too well. He was brilliant as usual but was pretty much laughed off the stage. :confused:

BTW, thanks for the welcome Mr. O'Shite. :wave:

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

(Say, Bro' Dust- whussupp, izzatt the same thing duplicated on "part 2"?)

Just beginning to listen to it... real classy, smooth stylin' stylin' there. Good stuff! :cool:

One of my biggest dissapointments in life was the Otis Rush show I saw in Halifax back in '90 or '91. I got tickets as soon as I heard about the show and dragged my girlfriend to it after making her listen to some old Otis Rush records.

Got to the Club Flamingo early and got to see Otis walk in. He was larger than life. An imposing figure wearing and all-black ensemble - cowboy boots, Stetson, a fringed leather jacket and mirrorshades.

The opening act was a local "Jump Blooze" band called Joe Murphy and the Water St. Blues band. They had the look down - hep cat suits, vintage gear, etc. They were competent but played for way too long (over an hour as I remember. Maybe Otis was taking his time back stage?).

When Mr. Rush came out to play, the same band backed him. There was a problem - they could only play slick, uptempo Roomful of Blues type stuff. Otis was playing rough, slow, Chicago blues and the band kept playing out of the pocket. You could see Otis was getting pissed and he kept turning around to give directions to the band. After a couple of songs, he gave up and you could tell he was resigning himself to another shitty gig backed by a bunch of white poseurs. I stayed for another couple of songs during which Otis gave as little effort as was possible. Then I left.

To this day, I cite Joe Murphy and his shitty band as one of the reasons I left Canada.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I met and played a couple songs with Joe Murphy and his band in 2003, and that lineup kicked ass! All smooth competant players, great feel, and made a stranger on vacation(me) feel right at home. Dunno the lineup you saw 12 years prior, but these guys were great. Otis Rush seems to always use local players at his gigs, and that's gotta be a budgetary compromise, and will always screw with continuity from gig to gig.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Archived