Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I can't transfer a new CD to iPod "per the artists' request"!? WHAT!?

Mike Gug

Last night I was unsuccessful in transferring my new Switchfoot CD onto my iPod. Its got some kind of protection on it that doesnt allow it to go on to iPod. get this!, the tracks can only be copied 3 times (?).

I was only able to get it to transfer to Windows Media Player. So I thought Id burn it to CD from there. It wouldnt allow me to do it per the artists request (not an exact quote)! (Ive got cartoon steam coming out my ears!)

Has anyone else run into this?

I wrote Columbia/Sony and requested that they either show me how to transfer to iPod, or the CD will be returned!.

Im not about to start carrying my iPod PLUS a CD player to play my Sony CDs! :evil:

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please forgive my ignorance on the issues here, but isn't the Windows Media Player an MP3 format? I could get the tracks to WMP, but I could not burn the tracks to a blank CD, which I have done MANY times from iTunes.

Mikegug

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Is this the type of copy protection that only works if you don't hold down the F1 key when you put in the CD (that's not a joke)?

Never heard of it. Seems like that'd be pretty lame protection, if that was the bypass, ...you know?

Mikegug

Windows Media Player uses the Microsoft proprietary Windows Media codec (not MP3) when you rip a CD. If you compare an MP3 at 128k bit rate compared to WMP at the same bit rate, you will notice much better sound from the WMP (same size files, but better sound from WM).

What software were you using to burn the CD? It has to support the WM format to do this. If you create a playlist in WMP, you can burn a CD from there.

Because of Microsoft's "big kid on the block" status, they have to kowtow to all the latest crap from the recording industry and their lackeys in the guvmint to stay out of court. So the DRM built into Media Player doesn't give a crap about the fair use doctrine.

There is probably some music player software out there than can rip that CD to MP3s (music match perhaps?). An older version of iTunes might be able to do it as well. The Mac version might be able to do it anyway.

So far the defnition of DRM has been "screw the consumer in case we might lose a nickel" from the Recording Labels (whom I despise). In this case their rights are the only ones that matter. Our rights as consumers (and even as musicians) don't matter to them at all.

Yes, Sony actually filed a lawsuit against some guy who let it be known that their multi-million dollar copy protection scheme could be bypassed on the PC by simply holding down the F1 key when inserting the CD so the PC didn't load the autorun copy protection program. Sheer stupidity on the part of whoever designed it. Sony later dropped the lawsuit out of embarrassment.

Born on the Bayou

Uhmmm... I'd look in the Windows registry to see if you can find the name of the CD. The copies counter must be stored somewhere and should be easy enough to reset.

On the other hand, hacking the regsitry can be risky, so if you don't know what I'm talking about, forget I spoke! :D

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

Well, how did I know it wouldn't work for me?!!!!

Do I have to be in WMPlayer? How long do I hold down F1? When I press F1, it thinks I'm asking for help.

You put the CD in the drive before you start up Media Player. Hold down the F1 key (or just turn off auto-run as someone else suggested) as you insert the CD and keep it held down for about 30 seconds after. This will defeat that laughable attempt at copy protection. However, that might not be what your disc has on it. Once you start up WMP, if it still says you can't copy the files, then it's something newer than that.

If it's already installed, you may be able to remove it. But I don't think it shows up in the Add/Remove software section.

@Vince, I think the entry for the counter in the registry has an encrypted name. It's not too hard to obfuscate things in the registry since it's already pretty opaque.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by MadStrum:

Did you install any software when you first inserted the cd? Never install any softare that the copyrighted audio cd tells u to...

If you did, try to get rid of that software..

Pier.

I think I installed the software. CRAP!

EVERYONE!, please note... don't be a putz like me!!

Is this software CD-specific or am I screwed until I track this software down?

Mikegug

Archived