Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you Evaluate Yourself--Spin off question of the day inspired by Fogman

Pappy P

Hair!! NICE introspective piece you did ...I like it very much... well in my case I always approached my playing from a commercial gigging aspect. My best friend and I where of the same mind and we said anyting we had to do to be able to play in front of an audience we would do! Gigging was always the name of the game to us so as you can imagine rehersals where very brutal most times! Ya we managed to take the fun out of playing sometimes because of this attitude but in the end it all paid off because we got to do ALOT of commercial playing and built tons of chops because we HAD too!!....I have rehersed so many hours that I have actually hated the instrument at times... not for long but intensely, but I never put it down for even a second. I guess I have never approached the instrument from a non commercial viewpoint. I like to play for people much more than for myself I guess.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always shoot from the hip, so to speak, been playing forever, and don't usually work out solos beforehand, but can scat along with any solo I'm playing within my vocal range. I tend to toss solos back and forth to other players during jams for friendly shootouts. I've never "cut heads", but am often told I'd do well at it. A heavy Hendrix influence, along with some Buddy Guy, Alvin Lee, Clapton, Santana, etc., has made my playing aggressive, even "in your face", as some objectors have said. No matter how accomplished you feel at what you've worked decades at, there's always someone who is unsettled if not resentful of your chops, and suggests you unlearn everything and start over. Gimme a break!

I agree that playing to the audience is important. Mine tend to sit and watch rather than dance. Canada's policies on smoking and drunk driving, while admirable, have thinned crowds in clubs here, and it's the loyal fans who come out to see YOU that matter more than transient traffic. I've never tried to be too commercial. "Mustang Sally", "Brown Eyed Girl", "Smoke On The Water", and others have been played to death and exasperate bands to no end. We routinely refuse those requests these days, and have yet to see a room empty out over our refusals. People might as well know they're going to hear blues and classic rock at my gigs, and stay if they like or leave if not.

Not to digress here, but self evaluation is always biased, it's your AVID listeners who give you the best feedback on how you're reaching them.

All of us journeyman players have had well meaning fans tell us we belong on the big stage, are as good as BB or Clapton or Jimi, and so on. We of course can't let that go to our heads, as they are not objective and informed listeners.

The learning process is unending,and we should always strive to be better next year than this year. Imagine how good Jimi or SRV would have gotten had they lived.

Never stop trying to improve!

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Bluesape QUOTE "I've never tried to be too commercial. "Mustang Sally", "Brown Eyed Girl", "Smoke On The Water", and others have been played to death and exasperate bands to no end. We routinely refuse those requests these days, and have yet to see a room empty out over our refusals"

Yep..know what you mean! being a complete cover band we get lots of those requests, we have been putting those requests in ONE set to get em over!!! The audience seems to really like our blues material as well as the classic rock and OLD BG's for slow material. Its been about three years ago that we evolved into complete Classic rock/blues and I remember at the time we got lots of criticism from other bands and individual players for just doing this material!. but DONT CHA KNOW...NOW if you look at their set lists classic rock is sneaking into their lineup :thu: I just dont want to do that dropped tuned alternative DROANING no bridge,constant vocal thing gezzzz that gets on my nerves :D and hay we pack em in every week..it gets so over crowded we can find a place to sit on breaks...either we sit on the edge of the stage or go outside! something works it seems! :thu:

As a total guitarist I kind of suck, considering how long I've played. I do one thing really well(rythem and backup vocals). For that catagory I can pretty much hang with anyone, but for leads I'm sure everyone here is better than I am. I think my songwriting skills are better than average, but I never know. Sometimes I'll write a song, record it and hate it! 4 or 5 years later and I think the same song could be a hit! so what do I know...? Good question though. I think it's always important to judge the art you are producing.

Archived