Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz

Compact Diss

Wow!

I'm listening to iTunes radio, the Jazz station(DI.fm Modern Jazz) and there is a tune on called "Leandre/Parker-W.P. Solo".

Wild violin going on, anyone familiar with this?

You must know it Funk Jazz.

Who in your opinion for Jazz guitar is the person out there who best represents at this time?

I saw Larry Coryell a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I wasn't blown away by his playing. They did a version of Black Dog from Led Zep and that wasn't even exciting. It was a crowd pleaser but I think Billster's version here was better...

Maybe it's because I've been to exposed to playing guitar and around too many musicians at jams who play from their heart...

:confused:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlie Hunter, YEEEEAAAGHH!! Now, there's "tha bomb" everyone's always talking about...

I had The Return of the Candyman, but I loaned it and a cool book to someone who's avoiding their return...

Kevin Eubanks makes me proud to be a guitarist, as well as someone named "Kevin". ;) He's a real Jazz-Musician's Jazz-Musician, too!

I wish that the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra (with Wynton Marsallis, "in the service of Swing!") would tour with Eubanks manning a guitar! They don't have a guitar-chair, as far as I know. Otherwise a solid, stellar group!

Not quite Jazz, but yeah, very Jazz after all with some tunes, is Derek Trucks. Check this out:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif Derek Trucks Band LIVE \'04 (WMA-format) (nearly two-hours long; may download very slowly)

Brother Diamond Dust posted a link to that not too long ago, and it immediately became one of my very favorite listenings.

Some of the best music- let alone categorizing such as recent music, guitar, or even slide-guitar music- that I've had the pleasure of hearing lately.

Then there's Birelli Lagrene (Sp? I've seen it spelled a number of ways). Man, what a killer guitarist, he's got it all.

Check this out, I believe that it was brother FunkJazz who posted a link to this originally:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif "Cherokee", Birelli Lagrene & HR Big Band LIVE 07/07/\'05 (mp3-format)

I couldn't stop listening to this take of this tune over and over again for days!

Sadly, he's gone, but Danny Gatton sure put a rompin' new-old twist on Jazz with a heavy shot of Rock-a-Billy, and vice-verse. Here's my favorite Danny Gatton live-boot' to date, also originally pointed-out by Diamond Dust:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif Danny Gatton LIVE Annapolis \'89 (WMA-format) (Another long one... well worth the wait!)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Compact Diss:

Who in your opinion for Jazz guitar is the person out there who best represents at this time?

Do you mean which guitarist best represents the state of the instrument in jazz?

Pat Metheny. Next question. :D

He represents, for me, all that a jazz musician can be. Metheny is equally at home composing (with Lyle Mays) and leading a band through the stellar 68 min. "The Way Up". As a follow up, he hits the road as a guitar trio, w/Christian McBride and Antonio Sanchez, re-interpreting his own back catalog along with "All The Things You Are", "How Insensitive", "Solar, "Giant Steps", etc. Metheny is my single favorite living musician on any instrument in any genre.

Just my $0.02.

BTW, I LOVE Charlie Hunter's "Natty Dread".

i'm not familiar with that one 'Diss.

as for your question as to who represents... man, that's a tough question. depends on what floats your boat. metheny without question is a master. but so is birelli lagrene in the euro/gypsy school. corey christiansen totally "owns", but doesn't "invent" much.

i kind of dig cats that know the history, but push forward. scofield, metheny, & birelli get top mentions. but you can't overlook guys like jimmy bruno & john pizzarelli ~ guys that can absolutely swing with serious authority (even if somewhat old school).

Originally posted by Compact Diss:

Wow!

Wild violin going on, anyone familiar with this?

Speaking of wild violin, check out Eddie Palmieri's new album "Listen Here" They've been flogging the first track "In Flight" on WERS . That's some really tasty stuff featuring jazz violin solos combined with latin big band. :thu::thu:

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Then there's Birelli Lagrene (Sp? I've seen it spelled a number of ways). Man, what a killer guitarist, he's got it all.

Check this out, I believe that it was brother FunkJazz who posted a link to this originally:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif "Cherokee", Birelli Lagrene & HR Big Band LIVE 07/07/\'05 (mp3-format)

I couldn't stop listening to this take of this tune over and over again for days!

[/QB]

That was awesome! Thanks for the link.

Originally posted by KPB:

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

That was awesome! Thanks for the link.

Archived