Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

definately OT, but i have to know

Guitarzan

i have a donair meat recipe somewhere. basically ground beef, garlic powder and cayene pepper and various spices plus some bread crumbs. mix and put in a pan ala meatloaf. cut into slices after it is cooked.

pan fry the meat and lay on top of flat bread.

the sauce is evaporated milk plus sugar, vinegar and tobasco sauce, whipped to thickness and poured over the "donair" add onions, peppers, pepperoni and lettuce or tomatoes if you wish.

i will try to find the official recipe.

i doubled the garlic powder and cayene pepper in mine :D

i don't think there is any rules to the toppings, i found one place that put the pepperoni on donairs and that is why i have included it.

i make my own "bread" from a pizza douch recipe i have. i just pan fry the dough.

damn i am hungry now :D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The *donair* sounds a bit like the Turkish *Donner Kebab* we have over here.

It's a Pitta Bread, heated, opened like an envelope, with *donner meat - don't ask* and cabbage and onion salad stuffed inside, all covered with a tomato & chilli sauce.

I love 'em.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

"The *donair* sounds a bit like the Turkish *Donner Kebab* we have over here.

It's a Pitta Bread, heated, opened like an envelope, with *donner meat - don't ask* and cabbage and onion salad stuffed inside, all covered with a tomato & chilli sauce.

I love 'em.

Geoff "

Makes sense; probably related. Just add French-Canadian accent...

As for "*donner meat - don't ask*", easy: Santa/Father Christmas was sorely dissatisfied with job-performance; Blitzen's next on the list.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

You have to come to quebec for the best poutines!! one thing i like about this province POUTINE! if only it was healthy, then i could eat it every day, then again it probably wouldnt taste as good if it was healthy :D . Almost anywhere in quebec that serves food serves poutine, from the finest restaurants to the greasiest of greasy spoons, there are so many different variations of poutine. A place in Cowansville (about half an hour from where i live) called Med pizza makes pepperoni poutine which is by far the best poutine i've ever had, basically the general recipe but with big ass chunks of pepperoni in with everything.A small restaurant in montreal called mondofritz has a whole menu section for differnet poutines, including a vegan poutine (which i've never had). But for the classic poutine by which all other poutines should be measured, one must venture to La Belle Province. Its a province wide chain...basically like a more commercial greasy spoon and a much tastier fast food joint all mixed into one. Their fries and poutines are unmatched IMO.

peace

Originally posted by PickPunk:

You have to come to quebec for the best poutines!! one thing i like about this province POUTINE!

Amen to that. When I used to tour, I played a few towns in Northern Quebec. The two things that they were best for was the poutine and the cheese curds (Of course the same curds they add to the poutine). I buy a few bags of Quebec cheese curds every time I'm anywhere near Quebec. Goes better with an ice cold beer then anything else I know.

Originally posted by Blue Strat:

.... The best way to eat grits is to add butter and salt. ....

Right AWN! Although I think I actually used to mainly just eat them plain.

I had no idea what they were until I had my first grits around the age of 27, when a South Carolina guy I knew insisted I try Quaker Oats brand instant grits.

Had 'em for breakfast every day for years after that.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by Guitar Geezer:

Hey Northerners...FWIW...Polenta is very close to grits!

Yeah, the description sounds about right. A friend of mine from Chicago used to swear they were the same thing.

But there must be some subtle difference because damned if I can imagine putting sweet stuff like honey or syrup on polenta though. That sounds utterly revolting.

Also, polenta takes about three hours to make and involves constant stirring in a copper (?) pot (accept no substitutes). Not the ideal breakfast food. :D

Grits are great when they are fresh. I especially like them with a little salt, a dollop of butter and some crumbled up bacon.

My brother likes to put grape jelly in his grits. (but he's weird) :freak:

Once grits get cold, they harden into something resembling a polymer. Nearly as tough as concrete when cooked and dried out. Don't leave grits on any cookware, plates, bowls or utensils. You will need a jackhammer to remove them if they dry out. They could also be used for chinking in log cabins as they are nearly indestructable.

Grits are also good fried. You cook them first and salt them (and maybe add some crumbled up bacon) :D and wait for them to congeal as they cool. Once they are relatively cold you can pick them up in one piece and slice them up. Then fry them in a frying pan. Frying them in bacon fat is the best way to fry them but lard is also good. Don't fry them in olive oil -- it tastes terrible with grits.

You fry them until they are browned on the outside. Then you can put some grated cheese (sharp cheddar is great) on them while they are still hot from frying.

It's a cardiologist's nightmare. But they are really good.

Grits are ground corn kernels, but they aren't actually coarse ground. They're actually medium . Corn meal (like you use for hushpuppies) is coarse ground. Corn flower is ground fine to extra fine and is quite good for battering fish and shrimp.

@Vince, you're right about polenta. They aren't the same as grits at all.

Born on the Bayou

Alright, I'll get in on this one.

I love grits and always have.I take mine with butter, salt and pepper. On a rare occasion I will add an egg that has been cooked 'sunny side up'.

Another thing no one has mentioned, there are two kinds of grits: White, which are the most common and Yellow which are slightly sweet (in a corn kinda way)both are very yummy! LPcustom's advice about frying grits is right on, especially with bacon grease.

Some other great southern food: Fried green tomatoes, fried okra, Hoppin' John, boiled peanuts. There...take that ya'll! :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Take a little Borax. Mix it with confectioner's sugar.

Won't do much for grits (Ah lahk's mine with buttah and plenty o' black peppah).

But it will play hell with the ants, who will carry that Borax right along with the sugar back to the queen. Borax kills the queen, and the whole colony just peters out after that.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Archived