Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Mustaine: Guitar Genuis or Average Metal Head

guitarisawayoflife21

What do you think of Dave Mustaine. As far as im concerned he is a guitar genius. He is one of the greatest metal players/songwriters of all time and was not in one, but two of what I feel are the most influential bands of all time, Metallica and Megadeth. The man is a brilliant song writer and is a true talent.thats my opinion. what do you think of him?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by guitarisawayoflife21:

He is one of the greatest metal players/songwriters of all time and was not in one, but two of what I feel are the most influential bands of all time, Metallica and Megadeth.

when i said influential bands of all time. I meant metal bands. influential metal bands of all time.

ha! i absolutely love Megadeth. and i have always prefered them over that other more popular metal band ...what is thier name again? :D

Dave is a great writer and is a very good player.

i wouldn't want to play some of thier stuff and try to sing at the same time.

I don't know about "genius" but I really dig Megadeth and always have for the most part. For me they are much more interesting and "better" than Metalica-- better in the sense that I generally like their music better. I saw them a long time ago-- after Peace Sells, which I was really knocked out by-- in Norfolk or VA Beach Virginia in a small place with Overkill. I was in the Navy at the time and sort of isolated from a lot of things culturally. I bought the Peace Sells cassette because of the cover and was curious. I was buying a lot of music, so "random" purchases like that were common. When I opened it up the liner notes and all were like on a "Pink" back ground and the band all had this like "luxurious" long hair. I was like "what the f*@% is this about?" I dug the music though, big time.

OT, but: The guitarist from Overkill threw a hissy-fit when someone jumped up on stage and maybe brushed against him as he was going to stage dive. He yells at the audience saying how expensive his guitar is and how uncool it would be to damage it or something along those lines. I was their to see Megadeth.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I've never really cared for much of Megadeath's music. But I do think Dave Mustaine is a good musician and an excellent guitar player.

He may not be a genius. But he has made his mark on Metal, his chosen "genre". And that's a pretty good accomplishment.

Born on the Bayou

Always liked Megadeth-I think Dave`s playing gets somewhat overshadowd by Marty Friedman`s exceptional soloing, sometimes I`m not sure whose playing I`m listening to on their CDs.

Besides, Kirk Hammett`s playing has never done that much for me personally, he has moments but...

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I always thought he was a superior musician to anyone in metallica. I think his voice isn't as metal god sounding as james H. He has vision and he is a great arranger. His rythm style is pretty complex and it is cool. I remember that song Wake up Dead, pretty cool. He is also a cool lead player for metal.

If Metallica had him now they would be cooler he is much more talented than any one of them.

Dave's always had some pretty original, innovative ideas, but I think he kinda lacks a bit in the songwriting department. Plus, he has a weird voice.

But I dig most of what he does.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

It seems to me that after Youthanasia, Megadeth put out a lot of slow, wussy songs until The World Needs a Hero was put out. I'm not sure if 99 Ways to Die was put out in that time frame, but GAWD! does that song rock!! Angry Again is frickin' awesome too.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

He's been featured in some embarrassing photographic adverts for the guitar he endorses on this side of the Pond, at least - don't know if the show over there. The pics don't do him justice - the photographic director obviously said 'Try to look stupid!', and he obliged.

Great guitarist, though.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

He's been featured in some embarrassing photographic adverts for the guitar he endorses on this side of the Pond, at least

Yeah, I've seen those too. I thought he looked like a prat too, but I assumed he was taking the piss out of the whole "celebrity endorsement" thing.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

But yeah, great guitarist. Even if his music's not at all my cup of tea.

If you think Dave looks stupid in those pics, have you seen the adverts for KUSTOM featuring Acey Slade, 'noted' guitarist with the Murderdolls and Trash Light Vision?

I'm afraid I can't look at this without falling over laughing!!!

When I was a kid (many, many, many moons ago) we bought things called 'Lucky Bags' for 3d (old pence, real money) - this was full of trash toys and some sweets.

If something was particularly cheap and nasty we'd say 'it looks like it fell oot a thruppenny lucky bag'.- (Scots, y'know!!)

This applies.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

If you think Dave looks stupid in those pics, have you seen the adverts for KUSTOM featuring Acey Slade, 'noted' guitarist with the Murderdolls and Trash Light Vision?

Do you mean this one?

http://www.trashlightvision.experiencemetal.com/endorsed.htm

The inset with him sitting on the staircase is a hoot! :D

Seriously though, I'd find it really hard to take that sort of thing seriously myself. What the hell are you supposed to do, if you're called on to show that you are (ta daaaa!) A Succesful Rock God thanks to some pedal?

As ads go, gear endorsements are still stuck in the 1950s. :)

And yeah, we had lucky bags in Oz too. :) That was the best part of going to a Fete!

That's the one!!!

It's SO bad, it's sad - or hilarious, as you say - Gawd, talk about fashion victim?

Having said that, I've never heard the guy play - he may be awsome!!

So, I reckon this puts Dave Mustain's rather 'cooky' look in some of these ads into perspective more than a bit.

Geoff

That's the one!!!

It's SO bad, it's sad - or hilarious, as you say - Gawd, talk about fashion victim?

Uhmmm... well, uhhmmmm... I've sort of looked like him, back in the day...

Having said that, I've never heard the guy play - he may be awsome!!

Yeah, I'm not knocking his playing, which I've never heard either. Just his modelling skills. :)

Last night I went to see Mick Harvey do a solo gig and it was quite refreshing. He came across like a sort of Michael Pallin, of all people.

And not at all like a fashion victim :) Mind you, he's yet to endorse anything.

well i can't knock Dave for anything. I love his snotty voice, way cooler than some dude trying to do the (enough allready) cookie monster needs to clear his throat thing.

as for the ads, i would guess it isn't really the choice of the artist what gets used.

you pose, and later someone who thinks they know the mentality of the reader chooses the actual pic.

and i bet they are right.. remember we (older) dudes are not the market they are aiming at.

but that pic of ACEY looks like Avril Lavigne after a bad night.

FYI, Acey is a pretty damn good guitarist.

He's kinda like an amped up Johnny Thunders meeting Slash in James Hetfield's basement...

Not a lot of flash, not too technical, just good stock blues-based licks played with a bit of finesse and a lot of attitude.

He DOES, however, dress like a bit of a tool.

You should thank your lucky stars that he doesn't dress the way Murderdolls' singer/rhythm guitarist, Wednesday 13, used to dress when he was in The Frankenstein Darg Queens From Planet 13.

No, I'm not kidding. They dressed like trashy, dead, cross-dressing aliens.

So be thankful for small favors.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

He's been featured in some embarrassing photographic adverts for the guitar he endorses on this side of the Pond, at least - don't know if the show over there. The pics don't do him justice - the photographic director obviously said 'Try to look stupid!', and he obliged.

Great guitarist, though.

Geoff

My apologies to guitarisawayoflife21, but I've been really bugged by Dave's I've-done-this-evil-scowl-a-million-times-so-this-is-as-good-as-it-gets-anymore facial expression in the Tascam learn-a-lick machine ads. Drop the whole "evil" bit. I CAN'T STAND FAKES, EVEN IF THEY HAVE CHOPS!

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

I've been really bugged by Dave's I've-done-this-evil-scowl-a-million-times-so-this-is-as-good-as-it-gets-anymore facial expression in the Tascam learn-a-lick machine ads. Drop the whole "evil" bit.

Do you think he looks evil? I think that even though he looks like a complete prat, he doesn't look "evil"... He looks as if he's having a great time being an idiot for the camera and is a funny guy on top of it.

Archived