Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: New Paul McCartny Album

Pappy P

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by robbue:

I picked it up today and the first two tracks suck. Very boring and uninventive. I have not heard the rest of it. Hopefully the first two tracks are the worst of the bunch cause they were truly boring.

Sigh, well he did hit his peak about 38 yeas ago, didn't he? :cry:

Was there some sort of chemistry / energy that inspired him to write such great stuff when he was with the Beatles, or is it that most of us are destined to write all our good stuff before we hit the age of 30 and then it's steeply downhill after that, or???

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I think that he's written some great stuff since he's been with the Beatles...but...well...

Let me put it this way. When the Beatles were around, he was competing for a bit less than half of the music on an album...about 45% his, 45% Lennon's, and the other 10% or so Harrison's (of course, the actual percentages varied from LP to LP). The competition was a healthy thing, because only the best of his stuff got on the album, and he had John to act as a buffer against his excesses (and vice versa). Once the Beatles broke up, that was removed. Whereas before, he was writing a little less than half an album, after they broke up, he had to write the whole thing...which most likely meant more filler tunes made it on his records.

I'd have to hear it. But, I have to give him props for a great career, and keeping on with the writing.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I honestly think part of the problem of Paul is the "I'm going to do it myself" syndrome. Apparently there will be another "cloned-Paul" video to accompany one of these tunes.

He's capable as a guitarist, bassist, keyboard player and drummer, but as so many teachers have told me, it's inherently dangerous to be in control of every aspect of a sound recording. The tendency is to accept things that aren't first rate because you can't easily switch from big picture to the details. Very few artists can handle self production while playing all the instruments and come up with something others find interesting.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I honestly think part of the problem of Paul is the "I'm going to do it myself" syndrome. Apparently there will be another "cloned-Paul" video to accompany one of these tunes.

He's capable as a guitarist, bassist, keyboard player and drummer, but as so many teachers have told me, it's inherently dangerous to be in control of every aspect of a sound recording. The tendency is to accept things that aren't first rate because you can't easily switch from big picture to the details. Very few artists can handle self production while playing all the instruments and come up with something others find interesting.

Hmmm. Control freak. Kind of brings Yngwie Malmsteen to mind...

Born on the Bayou

I think Paul has released some pretty good stuff over the years too, Tedster - with a lot of schlock and filler mixed in for good measure. I also think that if you look at Lennon and Harrison's careers post Beatles you would come to the same conclusion. (That takes into account that Lennon's solo career was sadly cut short.)

As to Paul's "I'm going to do it all myself" syndrome, in the case of "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard", that was brought about at the behest of Nigel Godrich, who produced the disc. From what I've read, Paul came into the sessions with his touring band, and after two weeks Godrich dismissed them and told Paul that he wanted just him. Godrich also continually threw out songs that Paul brought in until he heard something worthy of working on. Probably the reason the disc took almost two years to complete.

This isn't to say that in the past Paul has decided to do everything himself, with wildly varying results...

I haven't heard the new disc yet, so I can't comment on how it all turned out musically. But initial reviews have been fairly positive, giving Paul some credit for acting and sounding his age (63)...at the very least, I am sure there are a few things on it that will be well worth listening to.

John

Well..in one word DISSAPOINTMENT! A complete snoozer :bor: is it temporary backsliding? I hope so... this is music to sleep too. I did not hear anything out of the ordinary here ..I have, and I mean this..have heard much better written works and musicianship on forum members posts! This is a bitter pill to take when you are a fan of Paul...to bad really!

Originally posted by Tedster:

I think that he's written some great stuff since he's been with the Beatles...but...well...

Let me put it this way. When the Beatles were around, he was competing for a bit less than half of the music on an album...about 45% his, 45% Lennon's, and the other 10% or so Harrison's (of course, the actual percentages...

Yeah but , AFIK, nobody's rushing him to put out an album. Why doesn't he wait until he has enough good songs for a whole album?

Originally posted by Vince C.:

Originally posted by Tedster:

Let me put it this way. When the Beatles were around, he was competing for a bit less than half of the music on an album...about 45% his, 45% Lennon's, and the other 10% or so Harrison's (of course, the actual percentages...

Yeah but , AFIK, nobody's rushing him to put out an album. Why doesn't he wait until he has enough good songs for a whole album?
Oh I am very sure he thinks he did put out a good product...it's us that think he did not!

Originally posted by ellwood:

Oh I am very sure he thinks he did put out a good product...it's us that think he did not!

I feel sorry for him, because anyone that wrote Penny Lane and all those sunny, cheerful Beatles things, well... I WANT to be a fan, and be into his modern stuff and so on (urk...) but I just can't.

Ok Ok,,,,I listened to the rest of the album twice and after the first two tracks I would have to say I like it very much. It isnt a total snoozer but it isnt "Band on the Run" or "Maybe I'm amazed" kinda stuff.

I thought the rest of the album was very engaging and with only one more track being like the first two. There are some really good songs on this disc.

On a scale of 1 - 10 I give it a heavy 6.5 to almost a solid 7.

Mix of Rock, Metal & Heavy Fusion

http://www.visualcliff.net

My new band...Melodic Hard Rock

http://www.fallofechoes.com

...as so many teachers have told me, it's inherently dangerous to be in control of every aspect of a sound recording...

Well, my favorite Satriani album is the one that Glyn Johns produced for him, the only one he didn't have complete control over. So, I'd agree with that to some degree. But the there are Stevie Wonder & Todd Rundgren....

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I picked it up today and the first two tracks suck. Very boring and uninventive. I have not heard the rest of it. Hopefully the first two tracks are the worst of the bunch cause they were truly boring.

I've had this CD for a week or so (I got a review copy), and I have to say I disagree; I liked the first two tracks and the entire CD (I gave it a 4 out of 5 in my review). No accounting for taste, I suppose.

Don't get me wrong, picker, I'm sure the control freak is out there that can do it all themselves, but I think you run the risk of lowering the odds in your favor of the product being all it can be when you're the only set of ears you depend on.

jbote - Frankly I'm not surprised the producer dismissed his current touring band. I saw several performances on tv with this band and was sorely disappointed. Not at all like 1989, when Paul hired an eclectic group of fantastic musicians for the tour. (1989-90)

• Hamish Stuart of the Average White Band
  • Robbie McIntosh of The Pretenders
  • Paul 'Wix' Wickens
  • Chris Whitten

Oh.. right, Linda gets musician credit, too. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Pappy Blue:

Originally posted by LPCustom77:

Hmmm. Control freak. Kind of brings Yngwie Malmsteen to mind...

LOL

I'm ashamed to admit I have never listened to any of Ingvey Malmsteens music.

Can anyone recommend a particularly good album or cd?

Oh, I wasn't talking about Yngwie's music. It's just that he's a control freak of the first order when it comes to his albums. He's hanging over everyone's shoulder making sure they do things his way.

In my view, most of Yngwie's stuff if quite forgettable.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by Noodlesbad:

I've had this CD for a week or so (I got a review copy), and I have to say I disagree; I liked the first two tracks and the entire CD (I gave it a 4 out of 5 in my review). No accounting for taste, I suppose.
NO ACCOUNTING FOR TASTE !!!!

That was a little uncalled for.....

Mix of Rock, Metal & Heavy Fusion

http://www.visualcliff.net

My new band...Melodic Hard Rock

http://www.fallofechoes.com

If I may, I think Noodlesbad was just pointing out your tastes differ greatly, based on reactions to Paul's album, and it isn't a matter of logical criticism. Just differing feelings from the same music. ;)

(I hope I haven't mis-represented your motives, Noodlesbad.)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

As far as one guy doing it all, I'd say you always run the risk of sounding a little less interesting that way. You lose that "wow, I would have never thought of playing it that way" kind of magic that comes from working with other musicians. It also takes a lot of effort to keep your chops up on so many instruments.

Anyways, now you guys have me intrigued about Paul's new stuff. I'll have to give it a listen.

Originally posted by Noodlesbad:

NO ACCOUNTING FOR TASTE !!!!

That was a little uncalled for.....

I think Noodlesbad was only saying that he listened very closely and using his training and sence for quality musical composition decided Pauls work was superior. He is saying his taste in music is honed very sharply and he has the innate ability to appreciate the finite elements of composition when others in this forum apparently do not. :thu:

If I may, I think Noodlesbad was just pointing out your tastes differ greatly, based on reactions to Paul's album, and it isn't a matter of logical criticism. Just differing feelings from the same music. ;)

(I hope I haven't mis-represented your motives, Noodlesbad.)

Nope, spot on fantasticsound.

...it's inherently dangerous to be in control of every aspect of a sound recording. The tendency is to accept things that aren't first rate because you can't easily switch from big picture to the details.

That may be one reason...but having been there many times all by myself (and still doing a lot of it all by myself)...for me, it isn't so much that I can't easily switch between big picture and fine details...

...it's just that it can be VERY time consuming and tedious, and I get to a point where I DO see the big picture all the time, it's right there, staring at me...but...Im bogged down BY the details...and sometimes there are way too many details for me to weed though and execute to perfection.

Basically...for me...what can happen when working alone, is...burn-out.

So, I tend to work very slowly...a little at a time...and I will just walk away from a project for weeks at a time if I'm feeling like I got nothing good to give.

I never loose sight of my big picture during those extended breaks.

But yeah...it's easy to become amused by your doodling...and think it's all gold, when later you listen to it...and it's all just blah, blah, blah

When playing many different instruments/parts...and doing vocals...etc...

...I really focus on becoming that musician...the lead guitarist...the bass player...etc...

...rather than just picking up the particular instrument and playing the part...

and then moving on.

And sometimes...it may take awhile for me to get there...

maybe hours...maybe days...of playing the lead guitar or the bass line...etc

...before it really starts to sound right.

I don't know how Paul McCartney does it.

He's quite a good musician...though I think his directions get a bit wanky at times.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Miro, that's exactly how you should do it, IMO, if circumstance leads you to producing yourself on every instrument. Taking those breaks is what helps you hear the big picture. As you pointed out, too much in a short period of time burns you out. It's that point where most self-produced, self played projects go awry.

If you take a break and return after a few days or weeks to continue, sometimes you'll listen and react with, "What the heck was I thinking?!?" Other times you may not. But it is the break that helps you regain some objectivity.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I think for many projects...it's the time factor that plays the big part.

Seems like a lot of folks are in a hurry to "get it done"...and when you are working mostly by yourself...it can be real dangerous if you hurry up to get it done.

But...I know it's hard to slow down and take your time. There may be money issues...or other pressuresthat will push you to finish up as quick as possible.

I've been there...knocking out stuff like there was no tomorrow...and it was all OK...

but...just OK.

Now days...I've removed all those pressures...and as long as I feel that I am moving forward, no matter how slowly...it's a good thing!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Archived