Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A fun pic of my neighborhood!

Gabriel E.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HO-LY-$4!+!

Damn. I'm sure glad that you decided to take to 'higher ground' with your family and all.

As trivial as it may seem in light of the true scope of all this, I do hope that your guitars are safe, sound, and still there, Gabriel, not to mention your home in general. You know how relieved you'll feel if they are!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thank God you and family are alive and well, and I sure hope you can go home (to what?) before too long. I've been thinking of diverting my IRA deposits to the Red Cross for a while. Seems kind of greedy to save for my retirement when there's tons of people with nothing but their clothes, living in a stadium no less. Wishing you and yours the best, or something reasonably close to best anyway.

L.B.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Originally posted by A String:

Any idea as to when you will be allowed back in to have a look at the condition of your stuff?

The mayor may start letting people back to non-flooded areas as early as next week. It will be done by zip code. My zip (70119) contains areas that are still underwater. So it could be a few weeks to a month before I can go back. The plan is to go to Houston, rent a truck and drive into NO. I'll pack everything up and drive North again.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Hey, Gabriel,

Maybe you've already thought of this, but I'd make a truck reservation way in advance, if possible. There will likely by far more people with the same idea who will be vying for available trucks in every urban area that's relatively close.

And I would caution against U-Haul. I've used them. I might even use them again. But the fact is they have a terrible record for keeping trucks on the road long after they have ceased to be reliable. Given the situation, the last thing you need is to wait for a U-Haul repair or replacement in the middle of the push to remove belongings. It's not like their offices in N.O. will be active. ;)

Good luck! Hopefully you'll gain access sooner than later.

Penske and others

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Whoa.

O.K., that was some wind...

Say, Gabriel, do you think that you'll be swinging by? I was hoping to see you, that you'd take me up on that...

Feel free to bring along any other GP Forummites that you can scare up for the road-trip!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Wow, that CH-47 has seen better days. Those things can float. Looks like there's not too much damage to it so the crew/passengers hopefully got out.

@Gabriel, hopefully your place wasn't trashed too badly. The main thing is that you and your family are safe. Have you thought about relocating or are you going to return to live in New Orleans once you can?

Born on the Bayou

It's possible they hit powerlines, a tree or a utility pole with the main rotor or the tail rotor. Pilots not used to flying at low altitude (almost certain during rescue attempts) in unfamiliar areas can often get into trouble that way.

It doesn't look like it fell very far. The rotor probably destroyed itself as the helo rolled onto its side.

Glad to hear the occupants got out alright.

Born on the Bayou

Archived