Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any Cruise Ship Players Here? Or Ex-?

timrocker

You're welcome.

One other note. The bands onboard often have to play backup for guest entertainers. I get the feeling there are ships where the bands can pick up and play just about anything, and others where the guest entertainer would be happier singing solo. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

LPCustom77- maybe it's a good time for you to return to the High-Seas and High-C's...

Once was more than enough for me. Besides, I'm too settled, now, to go wandering off to sea again. (not to mention the serious pay cut I'd probably have to take)

I found out my wife was pregnant after I got back from my second (10 day) cruise (in June of 1989). I finished out the contract and settled down, then. I needed a steady income to provide for my family properly. And I didn't think I could do it making music (that was a bitter pill to swallow).

Besides, at 47, I'm too old to be doing that sort of thing. :eek:

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

You're welcome.

One other note. The bands onboard often have to play backup for guest entertainers. I get the feeling there are ships where the bands can pick up and play just about anything, and others where the guest entertainer would be happier singing solo. ;)

Oh, yeah. The headliners. How could I forget those? Like Bobby Darin, and Steve Lawrence with Edy Gormet (sp?), and John Davidson... Boy, those were the days... ;):D

I wonder who they get these days as headliners?

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom77:

Like Bobby Darin, and Steve Lawrence with Edy Gormet (sp?), and John Davidson... Boy, those were the days... ;):D

You played with Bobby Darin and... Edie Gorme?

Wow... just wow.

I've only got one of her records ("Edie Gorme Canta En Español"), but it's one of my favourite records ever!!

Originally posted by Vince C.:

Like Bobby Darin, and Steve Lawrence with Edy Gormet (sp?), and John Davidson... Boy, those were the days... ;):D

You played with Bobby Darin and... Edie Gorme?

Wow... just wow.

I've only got one of her records ("Edie Gorme Canta En Español"), but it's one of my favourite records ever!!

That kind of music wasn't (and isn't) my cup of tea. They were great singers. But it wasn't the kind of music I enjoy. My mom asked me if I

got their autographs. (I didn't)

Steve and Edie songs had only a few guitar parts. So I just sat there until it was my turn to play a couple of bars. Steve and Edie just headed off to their suite after the shows and did not come to rehearsals.

It was James Darren, not Bobby Darin (I always get their names confused). James Darren was a pretty nice guy. He said he was about to start up his singing career again. He only did one show on the cruise IIRC. I only remembered him from "The Time Tunnel" and did not know he was a singer until he came on one of the cruises.

I would have loved to work with Bobby Darin. But he died in 1973.

John Davidson asked us if we wanted autographs (I didn't -- some did) then made a beeline to his suite after the shows. (not that I cared) He did not come to rehearsals.

Those three were the only name acts I can remember. I believe there were a couple more but I can't recall any of them. The rest were just lounge singers.

The ship was the "Song of America" of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines IIRC. It had about 1400 berths, I think.

Born on the Bayou

Hey, LP, actually that's part of it, but I meant the guest entertainers that make up the bulk of short term shows aboard. These days, at least, that means no-name talent who are excellent performers, many of whom rose through the ranks as production or small group (acapella, bands) performers. They go out for a cruise or two at a time. Strictly on individual contracts. Not the 6 months the production performers do.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Pappy Blue:

http://www.geocities.com/bbirdmusic/cf-picture.jpg

Some of you seem to have wanted a gay pirate.. there he is!!!! :D:P

Those of you with kids or from Australia will recognize Captain Feathersword from the all time best kids band: The Wiggles.
Didn't you mean AC/DC?

:P

Yup, I have 3 nieces living in Seattle... one of them absolutely LOVED the Wiggles --had a CD or 2 and knew their songs, etc....

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

That kind of music wasn't (and isn't) my cup of tea. They were great singers. But it wasn't the kind of music I enjoy.

No... me neither, but Edie Gorme..! Her voice has the sound of wraparound windscreens and tailfins, if you know what I mean.

I think it would have been fantastic just for the whole retro trip. But would that be music or play-acting?

I hadn't thought about the lack of guitar parts.

The record I have is pretty much all bolero, and has these great Mexican type guitars flitting in and out of the vocal lines, and... bongos!

I hadn't thought of the rest of her repertoire.

Archived