Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help with Resonator Guitars and Mandolins

WaterMan

My wife, bless her heart, wants to buy me another guitar for my birthday. I've got enough electrics (if that's possible) for now, so I'm thinking about a resonator or mandolin (she actually likes the sound of both, probably because you can't plug them in).

Anyway, any recommendations for quality makers of these instruments? Probably want to stay under $2000, preferably under $1500.

Thanks in advance folks :)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that is nice of her!

There're a LOT of different styles of resophonic guitars, such as metal bodied (steel, or brass?), wooden, square-necked for lap-steel playing, round-necked for "bottle-neck" slide and "Spanish" (fretted) playing, "Triolian"/three-coned and "Dobro"-style single-coned (9 & 1/2" or 10 & 1/2" cone?), "biscuit" or "spider" bridge and resonator designs...

You may prefer a radiused fretboard, or a flat one, both are employed on different models and makes.

You've got a lot of research to narrow things down before you even decide on a particular brand and model! And I'd guess that you should be able to find a good one within your price-range, too.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Mudbone T. Waterwalker:

Wow, that is nice of her!

There're a LOT of different styles of resophonic guitars, such as metal bodied (steel, or brass?), wooden, square-necked for lap-steel playing, round-necked for "bottle-neck" slide and "Spanish" (fretted) playing, "Triolian"/three-coned and "Dobro"-style single-coned (9 & 1/2" or 10 & 1/2" cone?), "biscuit" or "spider" bridge and resonator designs...

You may prefer a radiused fretboard, or a flat one, both are employed on different models and makes.

You've got a lot of research to narrow things down before you even decide on a particular brand and model! And I'd guess that you should be able to find a good one within your price-range, too.

Thanks for confusing the issue, Caevan ;)

Guess I'm looking for a warm-sounding Dobro-style (I assume that means wood body?), primarily for blues playing with slide and flat-pick strumming (and not laying flat in lap; too old to learn too many new things :rolleyes: ).

So, a wood body, single cone, round-neck design seems to be what I'm looking for so far. Thanks for helping narrow things down :thu:

Archived