Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lost my fuzztone

LPCustom

Okay, you can start with the jokes, now...

I dragged some of my old stuff out of the closet today looking for my fuzztone pedal. I had a Maestro fuzztone but I can't find it anywhere. I know I didn't lend it out but I can't figure out where it got to. My wife cleaned out this closet last year and I told her not to throw out any of my BOSS pedals. I'm thinking she threw out the fuzztone because it looked _really_ ratty (I got it in 1976 as a graduation present from my grandmother -- yep she was very cool).

Anyway, do you guys have any recommendations for a new fuzz pedal? Or should I just go get another Maestro?

Come to think it, I didn't see my CryBaby WAH in there, either... :eek: I think I'm going to go look for it again.

Born on the Bayou

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too, bought mine to do "Satisfaction". I also use it for a couple of other songs (like Molly Hatchet - The Creeper). I even used it for a version of "Shine On" by Peter Frampton. It sounds pretty cool that way. :cool:

I just like the sound (especially coupled with a delay to fatten it up) and wanted to try it with the Mini Z (I'm always looking for new sounds).

Born on the Bayou

They done r-u-n-n-o-f-t together, LPCustom77!

(Fuzztone:) "Hey, 'Baby, how 'bout you 'n' me make some beautiful music together? Waddyasay?"

(Crybaby wah:) "I know YOU, they call you 'The Maestro'! Say, innitt time you came out of the closet?"

(Fuzztone:) "OOWH, shot down in flames!" ;):D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Nope, they didn't run off together. (great gag, though :D ).

I looked under the bed in our spare bedroom where I keep my case queen guitars and the WAH was under there. I have no idea how it got there. I don't remember putting it under there. But the fuzztone wasn't under there. Poop!

Born on the Bayou

I'll preach on the joys of the Z. Vex Fuzz Factory.

I got one as a present recently.

Makes almost any kind of fuzz you could imagine, as well as some that are pretty much from Mars.

I could expand on my experience with it, but you can check out sound clips at: www.zvex.com

BTW, they make the same pedal as part of the "vexter" series, which is unpainted and therefore cheaper. Very cool.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CMDN:

I'll preach on the joys of the Z. Vex Fuzz Factory.

I got one as a present recently.

Makes almost any kind of fuzz you could imagine, as well as some that are pretty much from Mars.

I could expand on my experience with it, but you can check out sound clips at: www.zvex.com

BTW, they make the same pedal as part of the "vexter" series, which is unpainted and therefore cheaper. Very cool.

That Fuzz probe is seriously freaky. :D:cool: And the Tremolo Probe is a great idea.

There are a couple of local dealers. One in Chamblee and another in Decatur. I'm going down there after I finish up with Wallace and check these out.

Born on the Bayou

The Z. Vex stuff is amazing. Lots of different fuzz-types lurking in there. I'm personally a fan of the Big Muff, but, I dig it for it's heavy tones rather than classic "buzz" tones. Has anyone tried the reissue Foxx Tone Machines? They're damm sweet. Great, gnarly buzz, plus an octave switch. The classic Belew pedal.

I checked the couple of Z.Vex effects they had. They are a bit pricey for me.

I ended up just buying another Maestro. I couldn't find anything else in that price range that I thought sounded as good. Of course, I had to order the Maestro. I just hope the new ones sound as good as the ones they made in the 70's which is what I had.

Neither place had a Big Muff Pi and I didn't feel like going by Guitar Center to see if they had one.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by D. Fox:

"...Has anyone tried the reissue Foxx Tone Machines? They're damm sweet. Great, gnarly buzz, plus an octave switch. The classic Belew pedal."

Oh, maaan, I want one, and I usually don't run with overdrive or distortion pedals between my guitar and an amp. Buuut..."BIG ELECTRIC CAT! BIG ELECTRIC CAT! BIG ELECTRIC CAT! BIG ELECTRIC CAT!" :eek::freak::D:cool:

And, how can you decide between blue, red, or purple fuzzy upholstery on an octave-fuzz pedal like that? It's like a conspiracy to force you into buying three of 'em at a time, I tell ya! ;):D

Originally posted by LPCustom77:

"...Of course, I had to order the Maestro. I just hope the new ones sound as good as the ones they made in the 70's which is what I had."

Hey, you'll have to post a review-thread on that when you get the RI in your mits!

Here's hoping your classic oldy turns up, and in fine condition, too!

dont be too disapointed if new stuff doesnt sound like old stuff but........it DONT!!!!

for one thing -they cant,simply because most of the innards that were used are no longer available...

somebody gave me a new Fuzzface and just for fun we ayy/beed it w/ my original ARBITER fuzzface-two completely different machines...

i feel sorry for the younguns who have nothing to compare when they are off to fuzzbox...

btw GC doesnt carry ElectroHarmonix @ least here in sf,ca.

also btw BIGMUFF ROOLS!!!

s

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

"...Of course, I had to order the Maestro. I just hope the new ones sound as good as the ones they made in the 70's which is what I had."

Hey, you'll have to post a review0thread on that when you get the RI in your mits!

Here's hoping your classic oldy turns up, and in fine condition, too!

Originally posted by stanner:

dont be too disapointed if new stuff doesnt sound like old stuff but........it DONT!!!!

for one thing -they cant,simply because most of the innards that were used are no longer available...

somebody gave me a new Fuzzface and just for fun we ayy/beed it w/ my original ARBITER fuzzface-two completely different machines...

i feel sorry for the younguns who have nothing to compare when they are off to fuzzbox...

btw GC doesnt carry ElectroHarmonix @ least here in sf,ca.

also btw BIGMUFF ROOLS!!!

s

I built a germanium Fuzz Face kit for a friend ;) and also a couple of silicon Fuzz Faces for myself. I like my NPN silicon better than the germanium fuzz or the PNP silicon fuzz.

...And if you're wondering what a Big Muff Pi sounds like, listen to Little Acorns by the White Stripes. :wave:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

...My wife cleaned out this closet last year and I told her not to throw out any of my BOSS pedals. I'm thinking she threw out the fuzztone because it looked _really_ ratty...

Dude, you have GOT to have a talk with your wife! My fiancee (wife in less than 2 weeks! :eek: ) knows better than to throw out ANY musical gear. Something like, "Honey, that ratty old Fuzz pedal? My Granny bought me that in 1976, so it's almost 30 years old and vintage, which means I could sell it for thousands on Ebay. Now, do you think you can remember what you might have done with it?" :D lol

Originally posted by chad:

...My wife cleaned out this closet last year and I told her not to throw out any of my BOSS pedals. I'm thinking she threw out the fuzztone because it looked _really_ ratty...

Dude, you have GOT to have a talk with your wife! My fiancee (wife in less than 2 weeks! :eek: ) knows better than to throw out ANY musical gear. Something like, "Honey, that ratty old Fuzz pedal? My Granny bought me that in 1976, so it's almost 30 years old and vintage, which means I could sell it for thousands on Ebay. Now, do you think you can remember what you might have done with it?" :D lol
Heh...YES!!

I just made a major breakthrough. I just bought a Fender Prosonic head, and told my wife "this is an INVESTMENT...I can fixit up, or even not do anything, and sell it later for a profit!"

Not sure she bought it though.

I bought it though. The argument I mean...also the amp. It had been sitting in the music store for 2 years...I can't believe that, but they never advertised it and it is not a "normal" music store...I think I can sell it later if I need to.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Bummer about your pedal.

I use a combination of an Ibanez TS-9 (the Tone-Lok version of the Tube Screamer), and a Boss Blues Driver. Between the two, I can get almost any fuzz sound I want.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Thanks, all, for the commiserations. You guys are really nice. But they are no longer necessary!!

I found my fuzztone this afternoon. And, of course, I wasn't looking for it when I found it.

I had to go talk to a producer this afternoon about some session work next Saturday morning (have to catch a plane that afternoon and needed to reschedule the session). On my way home I decided I'd drop by and visit with the mother of my (two years deceased) best friend.

Anyway, she asked me to inventory his guitar effects (again -- she thinks her daughters are hocking some of the stuff) and his amplifiers as well as check out the Hammond B3 he had (no it doesn't have the Leslie). While I was going through the amplifiers, I found, in the back of a Haynes Jazz King II amp (unknown vintage, unknown power, does not appear to work) my Maestro Fuzztone pedal. I know it's mine because I scratch my initials in the bottom of my pedals.

The thing is I don't remember loaning it to him. I know I must have but I don't remember it. It was even in the box (I keep all my effects in their original boxes unless they are in my stompbox). I'm absolutely certain Ron didn't take it without my permission.

The funny part is that I must have loaned it to him well over two years ago because he died in August of 2003. No wonder I hadn't seen it in so long. I probably haven't used it in about 6 or 7 years anyway. He may have had it that long (we were best friends for 23 years).

The one I ordered is backordered anyway, so I'm just going to cancel the order.

Happy happy joy joy... :D

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by Blue Strat:

The one I ordered is backordered anyway, so I'm just going to cancel the order.
Can't hurt to have two Maestro Fuzz-Tones around.... And if you don't like it, I'll buy it from you. :thu:
Sorry, I already cancelled the order. MF says they won't have any until October. I was going to be really blue if I had to wait that long.

Born on the Bayou

Yeah, I understand that. I got impatient last time I tried to order something from MF. I called their number and an automated message told me that I could either wait or place my order online. I'd been trying to use their stupid website that morning but couldn't get logged onto their site under the name all my credit card info was under because their system wouldn't recognize my password. :mad:

So, I called http://americanmusical.com and got an operator right away, and ordered what I wanted without waiting. :thu: Having to wait to place an order for anything pisses me off! If they don't want my money I can damn well spend it somewhere else and will.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

My wife cleaned out this closet last year and I told her not to throw out any of my BOSS pedals. I'm thinking she threw out the fuzztone because it looked _really_ ratty

Your... wife... decides which pedals to... throw out?

I'm aghast. What a planet. ;)

Originally posted by Vince C.:

My wife cleaned out this closet last year and I told her not to throw out any of my BOSS pedals. I'm thinking she threw out the fuzztone because it looked _really_ ratty

Your... wife... decides which pedals to... throw out?

I'm aghast. What a planet. ;)

Actually, it was easier keeping an eye on my son when he was three than trying to keep my wife from doing something like that. :eek:

I have to be _very_ specific with her. I think she has come to resent my love of my music and my instruments. My love of music has never faded. My love for her on the other hand. Well, let's just say we aren't newlyweds anymore. :rolleyes:

Born on the Bayou

I have to be _very_ specific with her. I think she has come to resent my love of my music and my instruments. My love of music has never faded. My love for her on the other hand. Well, let's just say we aren't newlyweds anymore. :rolleyes:

Mine's a bit like that too. She enjoys my playing, but can't quite understand why anybody would want more than one guitar. She can understand it conceptually, but she'll never really feel it.

went to my room..duh DA da da

to get my fuzz...duh DA da da

not in my closet..duh DA da da

didn't know where it was..duh DA da da

i found my crybaby..duh DA da da

under the bed..duh DA da da

but no fuzz tone was there..duh DA da da

dats what i said...

i gots no fuzz tone

i gots no fuzz

i gets no satisfaction, unless it go buzz

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

went to my room..duh DA da da

to get my fuzz...duh DA da da

not in my closet..duh DA da da

didn't know where it was..duh DA da da

i found my crybaby..duh DA da da

under the bed..duh DA da da

but no fuzz tone was there..duh DA da da

dats what i said...

The "dats what I said" bit set me off, and speaking of Muddy Waters...

went to my room..duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

to get my fuzz...duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

not in my closet..duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

didn't know where it was..duh DA da da da (boom, boom)

I found my crybaby...duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

I found my wah ...duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

but no fuzz tone was there..duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

dats what i said...

Effff duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

UUUUUU duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

Zee duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

Zee duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

That represents "distort"

Effff duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

UUUUUU duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

Zed duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

Zed duh DA da da DA (boom, boom)

I'm loud WAY past "8"

and so on and so forth :P