Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Computer problem

NMcGuitar

Hey folks, I haven't been around too much in the past month or two, so if the guidelines for posting "off topic" have changed, let me know, and I'll pull this thread.

My wife is having a ton of trouble with her computer, and I was hoping someone here might have some suggestions.

I had her type up the problems:

INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR BY ES COMPUTER

- Crash to desktop (closes Windows Explorer) upon opening folders containing images mostly jpgs. This is new this week. Not all folders containing images cause it but once a folder has triggered the crash, I think it always thereafter does so.

Cant access image files in certain folders, even through photo programs (not just opening the folders).

· MSWord freezes upon scrolling to a page in a document containing certain images. This is irregular. Been happening for several weeks. I can sometimes put the same images and text into a new document and the problem doesnt recur but I cant sometimes cant get to the images without the program freezing. Its a bad freeze, usually needing a reboot.

· Overall slow performance , especially going to websites.

THINGS IVE TRIED IN ATTEMPTING TO FIX IT:

· VirusScan

· Spyware Scan

· Going to Microsofts support site (OK, it was a long shot, but I had to try.). I got a windows update the page said I needed. If anything, the problems got worse.

· Cursing.

· Yelling at the cat.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks!

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you loaded the Service Pack 2? Ya know...the one with all of the so called "Security and Firewall" patches :rolleyes:

It (or your virus software)may be thinking tha

.jpeg is a nasty critter or something like that.

You might try running a surface scandisk and defrag...

(I can't believe that I'm saying this - a died in the wool Mac user :rolleyes: however, in my current job I have to nursemaid a bunch of XP machines running CAD programs)

Hopefully someone with a little more savvy can jump in.....

Lynn G

Yeah, SP2 has been loaded.

I just tried doing a defrag, and it doesn't seem to have helped.

I'll try turning off the virus protection and see if I can access the files.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Could be one of several issues. Did you install the virus program after the problems or before? If the virus program was installed after, you could still be infected. Are McAfee's DAT files up to date?

Are you getting error messages or is the computer just freezing? Can you recover with out a restart? Does pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del bring up the task manager?

Have you made any recent changes like new hardware or software/driver updates?

Click on the start button, then "Control Panel", then "Administrative Tools" then "Event Viewer".

In event viewer, click on "application" and then "system" and see if there are any events in there that have a red X beside them.

Get back to me with as much info as you can get. Especially any error messages in the event viewer that correspond with the time and date of the crash.

Run a scandisk with a surface test.

You might be having a hard drive problem where some files are stored in areas on the hard drive that are either bad or going bad.

It's also possible you could be having a memory (RAM) problem. How much RAM does it have in it? And do you have any RAM you can swap in and out to see if the problem goes away?

Also, which file system are you using? (FAT32 or NTFS) If you're using FAT32, you could have corrupt directories and really bad fragmentation that can cause problems like that, too.

So if the scandisk and surface scan don't turn up anything, I'd try a defrag.

You might also want to check out Steve Gibson's website ( Gibson Research ). Steve Gibson wrote a program back in the late 80's called SpinRite that is a remarkable hard drive tool. Highly recommended. I've actually saved data from a hard drive that was going bad using that program. Steve Gibson's a genius in my book.

Born on the Bayou

Also, if all else fails and you are reasonably sure of a date when the system worked well, you can use XP's System Restore function to roll you back to that date. This will undo any HW or SW changes since that time, but will not affect data. This means you may have to re-install security patches (hopefully WIndows Update will do this for you automatically - yuo do have ity set for auto-update, right?)

Archived