Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

some Godin info if one is interested

Guitarzan

i was new to Godin a few years ago( when i bought my first Godin) and it has turned into a bit of a passion lately. i have discovered info and have had opportunity to help some who needed some info on certain models.

i have found some more info on Robert Godin and his factories and will post them here if anyone is interested in learning some more about this brand.

Article on Robert Godin

this is a condensed version, i have heard some more details on his aquistion of Norman guitars, but seeing my memory is slack i will not add any to that story.

factory info...

1. Princeville PQ, Wood processing, making of tops, sides, bracing etc for acoustics.

2. 2nd factory in Princeville, complete manufacturing of A&L, and some low end Seagull, Norman, S&P, La Patrie.

3. Richmond PQ, manufacturing Fort cases, wood processing and storage, warehouse for Fort stands.

4. Richmond, new assembly plant for Godin products for the CDN market is under construction.

5. La Patrie lower factory, necks and bodies for all product. CNC machine for Godin bodies.

6. La Patrie upper factory, huge full-blown assembly for acoustics.

7. Montreal, sales offices and some warehousing.

8. Two warehouses in US, one in east & one on west coast.

9. Berlin NH, assembly of Godin product.

10. They have taken over their own distribution of product for Holland and Germany, so, sales offices and warehouses there.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I acquired a Godin Artisan ST a couple of years ago and I haven't seen another one like it.

http://www.crystalblack.com/Pictures/ArtisanSTBody.jpg

http://www.crystalblack.com/Pictures/ArtisanSTHead.jpg

Was this guitar not very common? Or do they just not make these anymore? It plays great, it's nice and light, the body has a nice shape and it sounds good, too. But I rarely play it.

Born on the Bayou

i have seen a few on ebay, Godin was flying under the radar when those were made.

that has the wilkinson convertible bridge doesn't it? when the arm is down it locks, or is it a regular wilkinson vs100?

the more common artisans i have seen are figured tops with faux binding ala PRS.

i would guess that is very early 90s.

but Godins early stuff is still somewhat of a mystery to me.

Hmmm. I haven't played with the tremolo much. The guitar lives in its case under the bed in the spare bedroom upstairs (along with my Explorer and three other guitars). I'll have to drag it out and check out the tremolo. I believe it is an early 90's model.

Unfortunately the original owner (my best friend) has passed away and I bought it from his mother. So I'm at a loss for information about its history. I didn't even know he had it until we inventoried his stuff. (the spooky thing is that he had four guitars exactly like mine...) And I didn't know about any of them.

Just had an idea. My fuzztone might be under the bed up there...

Born on the Bayou

the convertible bridge has a section that attaches to the back plate, a mechanism that swings with the trem arm locks into the backplate when in a rest position creating a "hardtail" clever but i have never had chance to try one. probably a bugger to setup properly.

If set up correctly, those Wilkinson Convertables (sp?) are way cool!

Anybody know if they can still be bought, new (or "New Old Stock", not used)?

As for the Prince of Princeville, didn't I see someone posting here under that display-name recently?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Convertable, convertible, whatever, any idea if they (the whammy-bridge) can still be had?

Yes, right over here:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=CWG&CID=GTR/K

I think those may fit the Am Std Strats directly, so no additional work's required. Not sure, though. The thing I love about those units is that the arm's as sturdy as an Original Floyd Rose, and that it can take a lot of abuse. Great with locking tuners, plus a graphite or LSR roller nut.

That may be my future as far as trems go. Hmm.

While I appreciate the reply, Taz (thanks!), that's not the "Convertible" model, that locks into a fixed position when the arm is swung down and away, is it?

Carvin used to offer it as an option on their guitars, but later dropped it; my guess is that too many customers had difficulty when changing to a different gauge of strings and the like.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 3 weeks later...

i have seen it on ebay, why did you remove the pickups?

i read your info and it seems you are sure about the instrument. are you really after info or are you cleverly spamming us?

we do have a post at the top for items that are forsale.

you could hang around and talk guitar, or feel the wrath of the spam missles!

Archived