Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kids say the darndest things

Billster

So my toddler son has this little "Jam with Elmo" guitar toy. It has three buttons on the neck that play tunes like the Sesame Street theme in a comically distorted rock guitar tone, and other buttons you can play little "hot licks" with. It's the most horrible thing ever.

DISCLAIMER: I did not give him this toy, but I still love his Aunt who gave it to him.

Anyway...

Tonight we're driving home and I have Blow by Blow playing in the car, the track "Scatterbrain", with that nasty fuzztone guitar tone...

Joseph: That sounds like my guitar.

Me: Well, I guess it does.

A few minutes later, a particularly fast line in "Cause We've Ended as Lovers"...

Joseph: There's my guitar again!

Me: I guess so.

:D

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

He's destined to be a distortion fiend now; his fate is sealed! :D:cool:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon3.gif Hmmnn, any Photo-Shop guys able to do a good image of Jeff Beck with said Elmo guitar? :D

Quick & Dirty:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a141/quickie1/ElmoBlow.jpg

heres another funny story involving little kids and guitars. the other day i was sitting here at the computer jammin along to some led zep and my little brother walks in. Hes about 7. He asked me if he could try playing. So i turned on communication breakdown and sat him down with the guitar. he just played every string open along with the whole song. he asked if he could try again so i put on black dog. he did the same thing that song. after it stopped being cute it got kind of annoying because i was trying to watch the yankee game. so i popped in some headphones so only he could hear the music. bad desicion. then all i could hear was the open notes he was playing. i tried to unplug the headphones but he said he liked em on better. so i had to sit there for a half an hour listening to out of rythm open notes watching the yankees lose. then he decided he had had enough and he says. can i play your guitar all the time. so now i must frequently listen to open notes being played over great tunes. sometimes i put on some Rolling Stones and with Keef's open g tuning the guitar blends in a lil. it gets very irratating but i am very happy he finds an intrest in it. i think i might find a very simple song(maybe twinkle twinkle little star or mary had a little lamb) and try and teach him. who knows. maybe i have the next hendrix for a brother.

Originally posted by guitarisawayoflife21:

...i think i might find a very simple song(maybe twinkle twinkle little star or mary had a little lamb) and try and teach him....

Since he's already trying to jam to Zep, I'd strongly suggest you teach him a very simple riff like Whole Lotta Love, or my favorite one string ultra easy first thing to teach a beginner to play on a guitar: the basic Bad to the Bone riff.

He'll get a much bigger thrill outa that stuff than twinkle, and be more likely to become instantly addicted....which is good of course. :D

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Heh, it's amazing how easy we think 2-finger chords are ... and then try to teach someone who's never touched a guitar before and see how amazingly difficult it can be!

Heck, even single-note stuff (bass or guitar) can be hard for the beginner ... unless they're open strings! *laugh*

It can be more painful to listen to young ones learn/practice violin than guitar, IMO. My uncle learned when he was an adult, and his cats took offense to it and would attack him whenever he drew the bow across the strings. (They could tolerate his guitar and banjo just fine.) :D

Seven sounds a bit young to me, but some kids start learning drums as early as 3. *fear* (Billster, maybe you should get jr. a drum set and hide the Elmo guitar.) :D I picked up guitar when I was 9, thanks to my step-dad and older brother. GIAWOL, you're a good brother, man! :thu:

Kids can be really funny. My wife brought my son to a gig when he was about two years old (and sat _way_ in the back). We were playing rock covers and he actually liked the song "Don't Fear The Reaper".

For years whenever he heard that song on the radio, he would look his mom and say "Daddy's song!!". We tried to tell him at first that that wasn't me. But he didn't get it. So I just smiled after that with a really warm feeling in my heart. :D

Savor it Billster. They grow up soooo fast. :(

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by guitarisawayoflife21:

heres another funny story involving little kids and guitars. the other day i was sitting here at the computer jammin along to some led zep and my little brother walks in. Hes about 7. He asked me if he could try playing. So i turned on communication breakdown and sat him down with the guitar. he just played every string open along with the whole song. he asked if he could try again so i put on black dog. he did the same thing that song. after it stopped being cute it got kind of annoying because i was trying to watch the yankee game. so i popped in some headphones so only he could hear the music. bad desicion. then all i could hear was the open notes he was playing. i tried to unplug the headphones but he said he liked em on better. so i had to sit there for a half an hour listening to out of rythm open notes watching the yankees lose. then he decided he had had enough and he says. can i play your guitar all the time. so now i must frequently listen to open notes being played over great tunes. sometimes i put on some Rolling Stones and with Keef's open g tuning the guitar blends in a lil. it gets very irratating but i am very happy he finds an intrest in it. i think i might find a very simple song(maybe twinkle twinkle little star or mary had a little lamb) and try and teach him. who knows. maybe i have the next hendrix for a brother.

tune your guitar to a chord!!! ;)
- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

Archived