Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So I've been looking around...

jane

I posted a thread awhile back asking about what to get for a first electric. I've played through all of these (and they all feel okay), and I have to choose sometime this week... so I'm looking for opinions on them

Ibanez GAX30/GAX70

Ibanez GRX20

Samick Torino 1 or the Avion 2/3

Epiphone Special II

Marshall MG15CD 15 W

Peavey Rage 158

Fender Frontman 15R

Randall 15W solid state

Kind of leaning toward the Ibanez GAX30 or one of the Samicks and the Peavey amp. Any opinions on the Samicks? Other suggestions/things I should play before I decide?

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Marshall MG15CDR doesn't sound good until you crank it up. And then it's a little thin on the low end. The overdrive is also more towards a screech than a growl. This one hums more than I like, too. The reverb has a little more noise than it should. The amp sounds great on clean until you crank it up loud. Then it starts to distort.

The Fender Frontman 15R is okay. But it sounds just a little muddy. It's got a nice bottom end, though. It has a nice crunch to the overdriven channel and the clean channel sounds pretty good. But the reverb is a little weak IMHO. The combination of full overdrive and reverb in this amp is _evil_.

The Peavey Rage 15 sounds really good, but it clips with a popping sound if you play it too loud.

All three of these will get far more than loud enough to get you thrown out of your apartment... ;) Or have the neighbors call the cops.

I haven't had any experience with the others in your list. But I will say this. The Peavey Classic 30 (although much more expensive) is a great home amp. And the Fender Frontman 25R is, in my view, a much better amp than the Frontman 15R.

Born on the Bayou

Nooooo, please don't ask for any more suggestions. Do a search on this subjct of buying a guitar and you'll find these threads go on for pages with way too many posts. You need to go with what feels good to you and sounds good to you. That being said, I would check harmony-central.com and read the reviews there giving more weight to those who have played the longest.

If you can't play real well yet, pick the two that feel the best to you, then have a sales person demo the guitar for you so you can hear what it sounds like with different techniques. Lastly, have them set it up for you as part of the sale. The local shop that sells Samick and Schector sets up all of their guitars before they leave the shop. And they don't charge for it, either.

Samick apparently has been around for a long time building guitars for other companies. I might be wrong, but I understand they hired Bob Bennet to design their own line of guitars. They make some solid low end guitars and some higher end models - one of which won the Guitar Player Pick award.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I have a Samick bass. When I went out to buy a bass, I had a choice between it and a Fender P bass. I tried them both and the Samick just blew the P Bass out of the water.

I think that Samick is one of those brands where sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't, but when you do get a good one, it's really good.

I played a Samick Royale 3 today. It was quite nice. If I can sell a Schecter PT Blackjack, it would be high on my list of ones to look at.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I have a Samick Royale II. LOVE it. I played a couple of Avions. One played AWESOME (I fought to keep the credit card in the wallet). Others were OK. A properly set up Samick will be a great guitar.

Samick is likely the maunfacturer of the Epiphone.

I like what was said above:

"If you can't play real well yet, pick the two that feel the best to you, then have a sales person demo the guitar for you so you can hear what it sounds like with different techniques. "

Do what I always do: ask the sales person, "If I was your brother/sister, what would you tell me to buy?"

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Archived