Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GC Wuss Management!

Dr. Ellwood

Originally posted by Funk Jazz:

Originally posted by ellwood:

Then how do you reconcile a signature line like this? "That's my opinion and it oughta be yours." Maybe more telling than one might think, first off?

a sense of humor :idea:
We have a winner!! :thu:

But in your defense, Ellwood, more than one someone at the HC guitar forums had the same reaction to my sig line.

As I explained to them, it's the tag line of Nashville, country radio icon, Gerry House's character, Makk Trukk, who spouts off sounding like a cross between a salt-of-the-earth, rural type and a Marine. The Battle Hymn of the Republic always plays in the background.

It's a mix of serious issues and humor, leaning towards the latter. Although I did hear one last week in which he seriously lambasted some morons who vocally opposed the war in Iraq at a fallen soldier's funeral procession. Other than that extremely rare occasion, it's a hilarious take on the issues in the guise of an ultra-patriotic citizen.

Anyone who thinks my sig line is serious needs to relax a bit.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by Funk Jazz:

Then how do you reconcile a signature line like this? "That's my opinion and it oughta be yours." Maybe more telling than one might think, first off?

a sense of humor :idea:
We have a winner!! :thu:

But in your defense, Ellwood, more than one someone at the HC guitar forums had the same reaction to my sig line.

As I explained to them, it's the tag line of Nashville, country radio icon, Gerry House's character, Makk Trukk, who spouts off sounding like a cross between a salt-of-the-earth, rural type and a Marine. The Battle Hymn of the Republic always plays in the background.

It's a mix of serious issues and humor, leaning towards the latter. Although I did hear one last week in which he seriously lambasted some morons who vocally opposed the war in Iraq at a fallen soldier's funeral procession. Other than that extremely rare occasion, it's a hilarious take on the issues in the guise of an ultra-patriotic citizen.

Anyone who thinks my sig line is serious needs to relax a bit.

I KNEW I had heard that before! that's where it was! ya

Museeip! excellent analysis to the point..very well thought out and I am very sure accurate in everyway! nice job! I AM impressed and you know what that can mean! Can you imagine that I cannot handle a business situation, like the unfortunate mishap at GC I originally described to start this thread. Can you further imagine that I would need any coaching or mentoring on how to handle any situation? Not hardly. We know what you did to improve your lot in life..you took the high road through education and hard work and it WILL pay off for you, the lessons you learned in retail at GC will serve you well for the rest of your professional career. See you soon..........Lee

Thanks Lee for the kind words of encouragement. Now with all that said I can say that I would, as a GC manager NEVER let that fly, and it didn't while I was there. I guess my point was to demand more from Guitar Center as a company for customer service, not the kid making $6-8/hr.who just works there to get a discount on gear anyway :confused:

...And yes, I will see you soon Lee, get ready for some killer brisket! :thu:

OH YA on the BRISKET!!!! an a little more on the GC thing.. I get the feeling that some of the guys here have more organized and more professional people working at their local GC's or something? I know you and Bruce can appreciate what I was saying! Some guys even seemed to think I should not expect a little different level of service because of the loads of money I have spent at GC.. am I wrong in that do you think? I really dont mean that because I have been a very very good customer for a long time that a fifteen year old kid should not get service but dont you think at least some advantage should be afforded me based on business I have given them? I dunno ..I KNOW that in any business transactions I am involved in with my business I can count on a higher level of concideration.

...They work at music stores because the hours complement their lifestyle (late mornings to evening) and they have knowledge and experience as players of their instruments. Most have no interest in wearing suits anywhere. Many have long or otherwise non-traditional business haircuts, exposed tattoos and any number of other physical or fashion attributes that preclude them from dressing as such in the average sales office. Gibson guitars is the only corporate environment I've ever seen where stereotypical rock and roll image is tolerated.. and even there limits are expanded but still very real in this area.

These are not people who have any interest, as a group, in "dressing for success" in the business mold...

I just wanted to say that I would hope that American corporations lose this sort of "mold" for sucsess. To me some of the most talented, inspiring, dedicated, and pasionate people are the ones willing to have... "long or otherwise non-traditional business haircuts, exposed tattoos and any number of other physical or fashion attributes that preclude them from dressing as such in the average sales office..."

understand? :thu:

OH YA on the BRISKET!!!! an a little more on the GC thing.. I get the feeling that some of the guys here have more organized and more professional people working at their local GC's or something? I know you and Bruce can appreciate what I was saying! Some guys even seemed to think I should not expect a little different level of service because of the loads of money I have spent at GC.. am I wrong in that do you think? I really dont mean that because I have been a very very good customer for a long time that a fifteen year old kid should not get service but dont you think at least some advantage should be afforded me based on business I have given them? I dunno ..I KNOW that in any business transactions I am involved in with my business I can count on a higher level of concideration.

To be honest Lee, I have not been to the Southfield GC in about 8 years. I can only imagine that it has gone downhill. In my opinion you DO deserve first rate customer service ALWAYS. This is true for a first time buyer as well, however, a "relationship" should develop if you are a repeat customer. And with good sales people it will. I am embarassed by the state of customer service nowadays. From Dell to AT&T, to Wells Fargo, to GC, it all sucks, until you find that one guy who knows his stuff. He's a good salesman and unfortunatley he will not work for companies like GC for long. We can all save money on our gear because of GC...is it worth it??? :confused:

I'm not so sure...

Anyway, I need to get back to drawing. Talk to you soon.

John. :thu:

...Some guys even seemed to think I should not expect a little different level of service because of the loads of money I have spent at GC..

Out of curiosity...

It's been pointed out that GC has a huge staff turnover. Did the people who were serving customers that day KNOW that you were a long time customer?

Personally, I've been going to the same store for about 12 years and occasionally, when the regular guitar guy is on his lunchbreak and I get served by a new guy, all that past purchasing history is unknown and I'm just a new customer.

Originally posted by Vince C.:

...Some guys even seemed to think I should not expect a little different level of service because of the loads of money I have spent at GC..

Out of curiosity...

It's been pointed out that GC has a huge staff turnover. Did the people who were serving customers that day KNOW that you were a long time customer?

Personally, I've been going to the same store for about 12 years and occasionally, when the regular guitar guy is on his lunchbreak and I get served by a new guy, all that past purchasing history is unknown and I'm just a new customer.

Vince that is a good question: the original sales person.. the one I asked to say someting to that kid had been there for at least a year Im sure... and he had seen me in there many times..he personally had never sold me anyting of any size ...the manager Scott who he went to try to find knew everyting about my account there, and I dont know but possiably that is one reason the salesperson felt like he needed to find Scott because everyone that works there knows my history there. That said... see it was not only me that had a problem with the sustained beyond reason loud horriable playing the kid was doing!! most of the stores customers where just discusted and I know some of them just flat left the store! This was a completely out of hand situation (you had to be there to appreciate this)

...Personally, I've been going to the same store for about 12 years and occasionally, when the regular guitar guy is on his lunchbreak and I get served by a new guy, all that past purchasing history is unknown and I'm just a new customer.

See, Vince, GC puts a lot of stock into teaching their salespeople to qualify sales. Your job, as a salesperson, in their opinion, is to start an ongoing conversation with each customer to determine who they are (and tell them who you are), what they need (if anything), what they want, where they've shopped, etc.

I know you're not shopping at GC in Milan, but just because you deal with someone who doesn't know you when you walk in doesn't mean they shouldn't have enough information by the time you check out to know if you're a regular customer and all that is related to your being a regular customer.

All that information helps them help you better, but it certainly is designed to help them sell more product to you, as well.

I don't like it when salespeople won't take no for an answer when I'm looking around, but I understand the need to inquire if I need assistance.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

...just because you deal with someone who doesn't know you when you walk in doesn't mean they shouldn't have enough information by the time you check out...

Oh, they DID, that time! :D

I walked in saying "I want to buy an electric guitar", and finally bought one... three or four hours later, after trying about sixteen of them.

After about the third one, the guy just said something like "well, you know where the amp is..." and left me to my own devices. :)

OT:

Hey, Vince, if you need American made small parts that are hard to find in Italy, just PM me. I'll see if I can get them and send them to you. Shouldn't cost much to just mail them. If you've got PayPal, you can reimburse me when you get them.

Born on the Bayou

I have only been playing and shopping in MI stores for 19 years not very long compared to some of you. I have never had anyone when asked in a polite way to turn their volume down or stop playing altogether so I could demo a piece of gear not repect that I needed to hear what I was playing. Even when I was in Germany and spoke all of 8 words in German! A simple, "Hey man can you cool it a minute so I can hear this ax?" or someting to that effect has always worked for me. I could be lucky but that has always worked regardless of the store location day of the week or person playing, Gtr, Bass, Drums, Dj, Rapper (yes I said rapper) even Karoke singers.

That said, I did work for one of the largest GCs in the country for over a year through 2 X-mas seasons. I was a sales associate, a Department Manager, and briefly an Assitant Store Manager. During that time if ever anyone anywhere in the store was interfering with another customer that I was dealing with either in person or on the phone I personally asked them to turn it down or turn it off out of repect for the other customers. I never had to be asked by my customer. I have had customers escape the guitar area (our store was big and every area was seperated) becasue it was unbearably loud. I would intervene on behalf of everyone in the store. A Triple Recto full stack totally cranked for 5 minutes and you should get that it is loud, they can hear you in Cambodia, Dude, enough.

It is really about the professionalism of the people you choose to deal with. If you have a job regardless of pay or management do it well or get a differnet job. There is no excuse for bad salespeople anywhere. Period. If the sales guy at GC had to get a Manager just because he lacked the professionl people skills to ask some stupid punk kid to turn down an amp for 5 minutes then he should get a job in a factory because he clearly has the wrong career path.

This scenario could have happend at GC or Sam Ash, Long & McQuade (Canada's GC), or ANY music store with out a professional staff taking care their customers.

Open the pod bay doors HAL!

This my stupid web site.

http://home.comcast.net/~mark2112/

Can we just be on Central Daylight saving time!!!

Originally posted by LPCustom77:

OT:

Hey, Vince, if you need American made small parts that are hard to find in Italy, just PM me. I'll see if I can get them and send them to you.

Wow... I'd been toying with the idea of asking people about that, but I thought it would have been a bit forward. You must be a mind reader! :D:thu:

I'll DEFINITELY keep it in mind. Would you believe that I've been waiting since (ahem!) April for a pickup? GAS is definitely not encouraged 'round here.

I was thinking that I could make things easier by working out what the charges are from the US Postal site and paying for postage and all that up front through paypal. It'd be mainly pickups and not for the time being anyway.

Thank you very much for offering, and if I can reciprocate, I'll be only too happy to do so. :)

Originally posted by LPCustom77:

OT:

Hey, Vince, if you need American made small parts that are hard to find in Italy, just PM me. I'll see if I can get them and send them to you.

Thank you very much for offering, and if I can reciprocate, I'll be only too happy to do so. :)
No problem, dude. Just let me know and we'll work out something.

Born on the Bayou

Mark2112.. I guess I got very unlucky..I assume you read the whole thread here... anyway yes of coarse a good manager or salesperson could have handled it with ease I guess the part I cannot understand was the inability of the salesperson to say something himself and feel he had to got get a manager to handle it, and then never come back at all!!

Lee,

Does Marshall Music still exist in Allen Park on Southfield Road? I also remember Pyramid Guitars on Grand River near Middlebelt (I think... It's been years).

Not surprisingly, we have GC here. That's where I bought my practice amp. I went in there knowing exactly what I wanted so I made the salesman's job easy.

However, I always hated dealing with the big Mc-Music stores so I'm looking for some smaller Mom and Pop places. There's still a few around.

Yep Marshall is still there! corner of Allen Rd and Southfield! (good memory KPB!) and Pyramid Guitars in no longer there but ya that was an excellant place.. some of the techs from Pyramid are still around though! here and there..my guy who I always use was from there Jeff Branch. Theres another guy forgot his name that FlagShipMile (on the Forum) uses from there .they are spread all over I think most of them work out of their houses.

I know Anderson Music. I lived right off of Cherry Hill as a kid so I know what you're talking about. If I remember correctly, they mostly sold pianos/keyboards. I think I bought an occasional strap or some strings from them.

Damned... have I hijacked your own thread? Sorry.

To get back to it a little. I'm impressed with the GC here in what they have on display. The fact that I see a Mesa Boogie in a store these days is amazing because for the longest time, you had to mail order them (same with the Carvins). But... I don't know if I'm going to buy anything big there.

I may have no choice though as I believe only they and Sam Ash sell Gibson guitars and I'll probably be in the market for a 335 (or maybe an Epiphone Dot) next year.

KPB wrote"The fact that I see a Mesa Boogie in a store these days is amazing because for the longest time, you had to mail order them"

That's funny Randall Smith seems to have no desire to allow any mail ordering or E-tailing of his Amps and Cabinets at all. Not even from specialized boutique stores. They won't even ship stuff out of their Hollywood factory store. You buy it you are walking out the front door with it. It is a violation of their dealer agreements to sell the gear any way but direct to a customer in your store and they cary it out Period. This is my understanding.

I am a Boogie owner M2000 Bass head. It is friggin' killer!

Open the pod bay doors HAL!

This my stupid web site.

http://home.comcast.net/~mark2112/

Can we just be on Central Daylight saving time!!!

Archived