Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GC Wuss Management!

Dr. Ellwood

"Now you want me to accept that you asked for a manager who never showed up? Where were the salespeople? Did you even ask them to intervene?"

Neil, I am not interested if you believe me or not actually! if you accept what I said as the truth or not is of no concern to me. I initially asked a sales person to say something and he offered to go find the manager Scott. That is a fact and I could verify the specific person that I asked initially by a third person that is on this forum. I will find out in the time frame in question here where Scott was! believe me or not.. again I need no coaching from you in this or in anything else.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, I agree there should be some sort of time limit on folks checking out amps and guitars like that. After 10 minutes, if you can't decide whether the amp does what you want, you're just showing off.

Originally posted by ellwood:

..so he stops for a second and looks at me and says "so..you wanna jam!" I said JAM I outa smack ya one!!" he got offended and then really cranked it!

This exchange was management's fault?

Did it occur to you to say "No, I don't want to jam, I'm trying to check out this guitar, and I can't hear it properly - can you take a few minutes off on the Mesa there?"

I can't imagine why he would be offended that you made vague physical threats.

Originally posted by Billster:

First off, I agree there should be some sort of time limit on folks checking out amps and guitars like that. After 10 minutes, if you can't decide whether the amp does what you want, you're just showing off.

..so he stops for a second and looks at me and says "so..you wanna jam!" I said JAM I outa smack ya one!!" he got offended and then really cranked it!

This exchange was management's fault?

Did it occur to you to say "No, I don't want to jam, I'm trying to check out this guitar, and I can't hear it properly - can you take a few minutes off on the Mesa there?"

I can't imagine why he would be offended that you made vague physical threats.

Ya Ok Bill, your right and no it did not occur me.

"Now you want me to accept that you asked for a manager who never showed up? Where were the salespeople? Did you even ask them to intervene?"

Neil, I am not interested if you believe me or not actually! if you accept what I said as the truth or not is of no concern to me. I initially asked a sales person to say something and he offered to go find the manager Scott. That is a fact and I could verify the specific person that I asked initially by a third person that is on this forum. I will find out in the time frame in question here where Scott was! believe me or not.. again I need no coaching from you in this or in anything else.

If this wasn't so pathetic it would be funny.

You took that line completely out of context and spun it beautifully. I wasn't claiming you didn't ask at all, though I can see how my writing was unclear there.

But the fact is you spent a half hour listening to this kid play, by your own admission. In a half hour you managed to ask one salesperson to find a manager and that was it. Is this incorrect?

Had it been me there wouldn't have been a manager involved. I would've found the first salesperson, explained the situation in one or two sentences and they would've turned him down or off. And if they didn't, I'd have gone directly to the next salesman. And if that didn't get results it would be me following a salesperson until I was standing in front of and speaking directly to the manager on duty.

You say you don't need my "coaching", but in the time you spent at GC that day you neither found a solution to the situation nor did you do much about it. Calling Myles's contact at GC is a step in the right direction, but IMO you could've handled this long before you left the store.

Are you really happy with how it turned out that day? If not, I suggest you need someone's "coaching" because you could've had a much better experience if you'd only been proactive in another way than to have (and I love Billster's description so I'm going to quote it) "made vague physical threats." against the other customer.

But hey, you won't hear another word from me.. it's obvious you already had the situation under control. :rolleyes:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

This has been taken care of. But far be it from me to ever criticize a large stores management or the lack of management. Or for that matter a rude stupid kid in a music store that I have spent tens of thousands of dollars in. I guess I can see the pattern... let kids do exactly what they want to do and let large music stores fail to manage anything, and apparently get backed up by other musicians. Strange brew...lives.

"But the fact is you spent a half hour listening to this kid play, by your own admission. In a half hour you managed to ask one salesperson to find a manager and that was it. Is this incorrect?" ....NO it is not correct at all! I asked the salesman to do something about the problem..he said..it was a job for a manager and ran off trying to find Scott!

I guess I can see the pattern... let kids do exactly what they want to do and let large music stores fail to manage anything, and apparently get backed up by other musicians. Strange brew...lives.

Uhmmm... wow.

Aren't you kind of exaggerating there?

This has been taken care of. But far be it from me to ever criticize a large stores management or the lack of management. Or for that matter a rude stupid kid in a music store that I have spent tens of thousands of dollars in. I guess I can see the pattern... let kids do exactly what they want to do and let large music stores fail to manage anything, and apparently get backed up by other musicians. Strange brew...lives.

Hey, I said there should be a policy about the amount of time one can blather through the gear for sale, so I'm not supporting any management on this.

Put up a big sign that says "10 minute limit on unsupervised equipment tests. No Stairway, no Smoke on the Water, no Freebird. If you require additional time, a salesman will assist you with the features of the product."

And if the kid was rude to carry on like he was, that doesn't give you license to be rude and act superior because you might have more money to spend, or that you had to wait. You could have interrupted him and asked politely for a brief respite, without having to corral a manager. Do you require direct supervision to decide who goes into an elevator first?

Originally posted by Vince C.:

I guess I can see the pattern... let kids do exactly what they want to do and let large music stores fail to manage anything, and apparently get backed up by other musicians. Strange brew...lives.

Uhmmm... wow.

Aren't you kind of exaggerating there?

Not really Vince..go back and read all the dialogue and you will see.

Not really Vince..go back and read all the dialogue and you will see.

Well, believe it or not, I'm not about to join rude kids and the GC staff in trying to gang up on you. I don't think anybody is, really.

But seriously, if you really WERE there for half an hour and so on, then that was a complete waste of time.

Next time, pull rank on the kid. Or hit him with a Chinese LP.

If this incident happend on the weekend and it's now Wednesday... well, shit, I'm sure you'll agree it's not worth carrying all that frustration around. Especially seeing as how the kid is long gone, huh?

In the meantime, people have suggested all sorts of solutions, contacts and so on... we're HARDLY supporting either GC or that pesky kid.

Wow. All this mishegoss over a dippy kid blowing on a half stack. Is there no possibility that you were once the dippy kid annoying some seasoned pro like yourself, and this is just payback?

Criminy, get over it, already. And if there is a next time, get in the manager's face right off the bat. If you don't get satisfaction then, find another music store to spend your tens of thousands in, or do your shopping at Musician's Friend.

Life is too short to waste this much time on something this trivial.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I'm going to be civil because you asked, and because you seem to be truly confused.

Nobody has defended this kid for playing long and loud.

Nobody has defended GC management for letting this occur. (Though, in their defense, we don't know from your posts that they are even aware of the situation. For all we know, the salesperson dropped the ball. No one has defended the salesperson, either.)

The comments here have only been directed at your actions in response to the situation, not the underlying situation.

I can only speak for myself, but I've seen others who have echoed that, from your description, this kid was a nuisance and you shouldn't have had to say anything for them to turn him down. How does that equate to a tolerance of his behaviour or a thumbs up to GC employees for ignoring the situation?

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Flashback:

Originally posted by Billster:

10 minute limit on unsupervised equipment tests. No Stairway, no Smoke on the Water, no Freebird.

Now that's CLASSIC! :thu:
:D

Back in the late 80's, a shop I frequented had a little sign on top of the amp corral that read "No Sweet Child" with a little picture of a tophat. :D

Just saw your post about the salesperson. He does deserve your ire for either:

1. Not getting a manager involved.
  2. Not returning and making sure something was done.

Frankly, I think he should be reprimanded for not handling the situation himself. We certainly didn't have to defer to a manager to shut someone down anywhere I've sold MI gear. That's ridiculous.

Picker - I had no idea you're Jewish.. or did you just grow up around Yiddish speakers? :thu::D

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Aaaaaaah, to live in Canada and be GC free.

I frequent the local Long & McQuade in Cambridge, Ontario. I got a full half hour on an Epiphone Elitist Byrdland, unplugged, without the annoyance of the full out gear audition. Of course I got there right at opening time on a Friday when the annoying kids are in school, and the ones that dropped out of school are still sleeping. The store manager even pulled out his personal '67 Gibson Byrdland so I could A/B them. The Epi is verrrrry nice, at less than 1/2 the price of a current Gibson Byrdland. Long story short, I added yet another "made in Japan" guitar to my wall.

L&M sales folks are not on commission, so it's really easy to go to the salesman who has the skill you need for the gear you need. No feelings get hurt and everybody is working for the same team.

The commission sales force at the local Future Shop is a commando team of personal space violators. I've been literally grabbed by the arm and directed to a cash register so that sales gerbil could get the sale. No matter that I did not talk to, nor need to talk to any sales gerbil to pick up an ink cartridge.

I spoke to the store manager and he elicited an apology from the aggressive sales gerbil. I asked for one directly, but the sales gerbil felt he did nothing wrong.

I fear the day when GC decides to enter Canada by buying out L&M.

Peace,

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Originally posted by picker:

Wow. All this mishegoss over a dippy kid blowing on a half stack. Is there no possibility that you were once the dippy kid annoying some seasoned pro like yourself, and this is just payback?

Criminy, get over it, already. And if there is a next time, get in the manager's face right off the bat. If you don't get satisfaction then, find another music store to spend your tens of thousands in, or do your shopping at Musician's Friend.

Life is too short to waste this much time on something this trivial.

Hay, all I did originally was to tell what happened to me at GC at that list sale! That's it! The rest is my reaction to other peoples comments? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Funk Jazz:

you know, the idea behind forums like these is exposure to other opinions and new ideas.

if you solicit comments, you sort of have to live with those comments. you know?

Then how do you reconcile a signature line like this? "That's my opinion and it oughta be yours." Maybe more telling than one might think, first off?

Archived