Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic Amp Dilemma

Warthog

Hey Guys (and Gals),

I'm in a dilemma and knew you all could give me some good advice. I tried posting this on HC but it got no response. It seems that folks on HC would rather spend time cursing and fighting than actually talking about music.

I am currently running my Taylor T5 through a Reverend Kingsnake Head and Neo 212 cab. I'm wanting to A/B the T5 to an acoustic amp as well and I just can't make up my mind. Back in the mid-90's I really wanted a Trace Elliot and am looking at them now. Considering the TA-50R or 100R. I'm also looking at the SWR "Blonde" series acoustic amps as well as the Fender Acoustasonic series. I keep wanting to love the Trace amps (pre-Gibson) but I find mixed reviews. Truth be told, I'd love a Rivera Sedona Doyle Dykes but I don't have 2 grand to spend. I'm looking in the sub $700 range.

You acoustic aficionados, please help. What do ya'll use?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ULTRASOUND AMPS !! Exactly what you're looking for, WAY more fidelity than those famous Trace amps, I know it since years ago I used to play through a friend's Trace "lunchbox", as we called it. Very transparent, I think for $700 you can get a 100-watter w/ effects. Look 'em up on the web.

I have the older AG-50DS2, love it --bought it new for $460 in a Chicago shop. I've heard AER amps are better, but they're German and cost way too much here in the US.

I A/B'd it against SWR, Crates and Fender, and as far as fidelity, transparency and signal-to-noise ratio were concerned, it won by a lot. Mine was more expensive than the Fender, but I think cheaper than SWR (don't remember now). Check one out.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Apart from Ultrasound and AER you may also want to try Schertler (I think these are Swiss) but I'm afraid they are over your budget cap, too.

My MySpace Space

This one?: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/488502/

I'm intrigued. The description says Channel 1 is optimized for piezo pickups. Have you tried channel 1 for vocals? I guess to further narrow it down I'm looking for a 2-channel amp so I can run vocals and guitar at the same time ala coffee shop situations. Is the Ultrasound good for that?? My T5 doesn't have piezos. How are the effects? Effects are not too important to me since I intend to introduce delay, reverb, etc. through pedals. Of course, if they're good I'll use them.

Thanks for the input!!

Originally posted by MILLO:

Apart from Ultrasound and AER you may also want to try Schertler (I think these are Swiss) but I'm afraid they are over your budget cap, too.

Really, price is not a huge factor if it's reasonable. I could go up to $1200 or so if it was worth the extra cash. Never heard of Schertler...any experience with them? Thanks much for your help...

Originally posted by Warthog:

This one?: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/488502/

I'm intrigued. The description says Channel 1 is optimized for piezo pickups. Have you tried channel 1 for vocals? I guess to further narrow it down I'm looking for a 2-channel amp so I can run vocals and guitar at the same time ala coffee shop situations. Is the Ultrasound good for that?? My T5 doesn't have piezos. How are the effects? Effects are not too important to me since I intend to introduce delay, reverb, etc. through pedals. Of course, if they're good I'll use them.

Thanks for the input!!

If you read the description you'll notice channel 2 also has mic input. My 50-watter does, too, and yes, you can run vocals and guitar. My amp has more limited features than this newer model. On the newer ones the effects are foot-switchable. You don't have to have piezos for it to sound good --I don't use a piezo, but a CHEAP Schatten design contact p/up. I have tried piezo-equipped guitars through mine and yup, even though I hate piezos, it's one of the best sounds I've heard coming from a piezo.

I've never tried that 100watt model, so you should try and see if you can find one to test-drive w/ your T5.

Maybe you should also try to find the AER's, if you can go up to $1200. Never tried one b/c the one I wanted was way more than I could pay at the moment I bought my amp, but everyone told me they were better and even more transparent. Given the fact mine was more transparent than the other more popular/common brands, I gotta think the AER is quite possibly the shiznit. I heard some dude at a store trying one and it WAS very nice, but it's hard to judge when somebody else is just strumming chords w/ a crappy guitar. Never tried Schertler or Rivera either.

Someone in this board has an AER and swear by it, don't remember who.

My MySpace Space

Carvin makes a great amp for you, but since it's not sold in stores, you can't check it out first, but they will refund you if you're not happy with it. The SWR Blonde is also a nice unit. It and the Carvin can double as PAs.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by ellwood:

Here's another stupid idea from ME :rolleyes: I use a OLD Shure Vocal Master for acoustic stuff with the small monitor column and it sounds great! or any little PA system sounds great and you dont have to have a dedicated acoustic amp?

How about this one?: http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=AG100D&CID=GA

1/3 the price of some of the others...

Comments?

I have a number of clients that use the Rivera Sedona amps and love them. It seems that their website is in the process of rebuild so there is no info but you can always call them or email them for info.

This Fender offering is also a great acoustic amp:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2213100010

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

I have played through a Carvin AG100D and was extremely impressed with its tone and versatility. Very nice amp for relatively little money. You can see it here... http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=AG100D&CID=GA
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Archived