Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dr Z amps

Bluesape

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are spying on me. I swear it... :eek:

Seriously, though. I just ordered a Mini Z along with a Dr Z Air Brake from Humbucker Music on Friday. I can't wait until they get here.

I play sessions with a guy that has a Mini Z. It sounds absolutely awesome! I don't know quite how to describe it. Depending on the volume level the crunch just gets harder.

The Air Brake lets you have the full crunch without playing it loud enough to get have someone call the cops. The guy at Humbucker recommended it. Travis (the guy I session with sometimes) doesn't have one. But he plays pretty loud anyway. :D

I hooked my LP Custom up his Dr. Z and man does it sound good. My AVT50 sounded pretty weak compared to it. I'll have to make a recording of it when I get it and post it. The range of tones it can make for such a simple amp are pretty remarkable.

It's not cheap ($699 US), but nothing good is. :thu:

Born on the Bayou

Actually, Flagshipmile, I liked what I heard - rich, warm, creamy overdrive, without losing definition. I'm a blues player with Jimi as an early influence. What I heard through my pc speakers was very pleasing. Now, to find one in Toronto...
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Has anyone here bought or even tried one out? They seem very impressive online, but I'd like to hear from someone who rocks a little harder than Brad Paisley. Any input is appreciated.

I have quite a few of them and a bit about them at: http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/doctorzamps.html

If you are ever near Los Angeles you may try any of mine or borrow any of them for live or recording work.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

I think Bluescape wants to hear a more hard rock metal tone, and someone who plays that style. Dr.Z isn't really for that I don't think.

If you think a Marshall will work for that sort of tone then the 6545 will fit right in there. If you use pedals and want a monster (ala Marshall Major) then look into a Delta 88.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Yeah Myles has a Dr.Z museum. I wish I could come over and play all your amps and then leave with one. Maybe someday!! Just make sure your wife makes me 'surf & turf' or the deal is off!! Just kiddn

Don't worry about my wife cooking .... that is pretty rare with her own school, teaching, and our two boys. Around here if you want much to eat it's get it yourself!

As far as removing ANY amp from the place, she'd probably pay you! On the site you see a lot of Z stuff because I love the amps and support a lot of tours where folks use them. But .... there is also a Marshall area, Fender area, and misc area with Mesa, Pierson, Victoria, GT, Carvin, THD, and stuff I cannot even remember. I have amps that have been out "on loan" for over a decade .... maybe 15 years on one up in Spokane Washington. Carl Verheyen has my Victoria Sovereign, and others are floating all over the USA.

My wife loves it when ANY amp goes out the door.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by ellwood:

Looks like right now I might be in Valencia in a couple of weeks..I will drive down and visit ya for awhile if the trip developes...I look in on a company called 3-D Systems..rapid prototyping engineering technology.

If you have any time in So Cal please feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to get together. If you want a tour of GT I can arrange that too.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Originally posted by ellwood:

Looks like right now I might be in Valencia in a couple of weeks..I will drive down and visit ya for awhile if the trip developes...I look in on a company called 3-D Systems..rapid prototyping engineering technology.

If you have any time in So Cal please feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to get together. If you want a tour of GT I can arrange that too.
Well that sounds great Myles..I will certainly do that if not this trip then very soon I want to hook some vacation time onto the business purpose...I gunna get Flagship Mile to take my gig in Canada and then I can stay over a weekend!!!! :thu:

My wife loves it when ANY amp goes out the door.

Well, if I'm ever out on the coast again, I promise to do whatever I can to make her at least a little happy... :D

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

All you folks are more than welcome and my door is always open.

Well, since I have a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr, a Gerhart 1/2 Watt Gilmore, and a Pierson Champ because of your recommendations, it's the least you can do ;):D -- not that I'm complaining, although my wife's not your biggest fan...........

And now I'm considering a Carr Rambler (or Mesa Lone Star Special) as a complement to the group, but want to talk to you more about that at some point. And I don't want to forget to mention my Kingsley (not your recommendation, but GP's Editor's Pick a while ago, and something you should check out), my favorite "clean" amp, probably because of the 6L6s (I grew up on Fender Twins).

Anyway, the Dr. Z is pretty amazing and definitely the most versatile of my little collection. Can't recommend it enough. :thu:

Originally posted by WaterMan:

All you folks are more than welcome and my door is always open.

Well, since I have a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr, a Gerhart 1/2 Watt Gilmore, and a Pierson Champ because of your recommendations, it's the least you can do ;):D -- not that I'm complaining, although my wife's not your biggest fan...........

And now I'm considering a Carr Rambler (or Mesa Lone Star Special) as a complement to the group, but want to talk to you more about that at some point. And I don't want to forget to mention my Kingsley (not your recommendation, but GP's Editor's Pick a while ago, and something you should check out), my favorite "clean" amp, probably because of the 6L6s (I grew up on Fender Twins).

Anyway, the Dr. Z is pretty amazing and definitely the most versatile of my little collection. Can't recommend it enough. :thu:

Waterman -

Your wife can talk to mine and then maybe you and I can take them to dinner?

The Rambler is a really nice amp. The amp does not really get much louder in the last 70% of it's volume knob travel, it just breaks up differently, sort of like a tweed deluxe but stronger.

The Mesa Lonestar Special with the EL84's - these are getting pretty popular. Lots of the Nashville folks are getting into them as the overall tone in Nashville is moving from less clean to more rock and even harder rock tones.

They are two very different amps but each really cool in their own way.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Congrats on the new amp!

If you go to http://drzamplifiers.proboards41.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1123683149 Zac Childs (Brad's tech for a long time and the guy in the studio with Brad on the current CD and last ones) talks a bit on where the Mini Z was used on the new CD. I think it was used on virtually every track somewhere.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by LPCustom77:

I am in 7th heaven today :cool: . My Mini Z has arrived!!! :thu: !!! I'll be wearing my fingers to the bone playing the rest of the day... :D What am I saying?!? The rest of the week!!! (I'm on vacation this week)

Tell us more!! how does it sound? I've been in love with Dr.Z ever since I visited their website, but I've never been to a store that carries them. It's hard to buy such an expensive amp without trying it out.

Originally posted by Museeip:

Originally posted by LPCustom77:

I am in 7th heaven today :cool: . My Mini Z has arrived!!! :thu: !!! I'll be wearing my fingers to the bone playing the rest of the day... :D What am I saying?!? The rest of the week!!! (I'm on vacation this week)

Tell us more!! how does it sound? I've been in love with Dr.Z ever since I visited their website, but I've never been to a store that carries them. It's hard to buy such an expensive amp without trying it out.
If you think they are pricy, compare to other hand built amps and you find that they are much less pricy and then compare things like even the chassis.

They are an amazing deal, maybe the best value in "ampdom".

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Archived