Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Country Players: a general statement

Dr. Ellwood

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll tell you why... It's cause country fans don't put up with rock star BS. ;)

I've played with a fair number of country artists, including some big ones, and I have lots of friends in Nashvegas. Every year the have FanFare in which all major and up-and-coming country artists go shake hands with and sign autographs for the fans.

The cats that I played with that were on the way up, would hang after the show untill the last fan left. The cats that were on their way down didn't...

Country artists tend to be, and the fans want them to be, "regular people"...

Also, and this may be a generalization, country artists are a bit more on the religious side. They tend to be a bit more thankful and appreciative of their careers.

Not all though, some of my friends have worked with major artists that have had major egos, but thier careers don't seem to last as long...

www.myspace.com/christondre

"Nash-Vegas" session-players rule. Some monster players out there. I've met some very busy, very pro gigging Country players who weren't famous but treated me and anybody else who played with the utmost of friendly, gracious familiarity and humility. A real 'we're all in this together' attitude prevailed, and we were made to feel that they were 'in our corner'. And some of these guys were in a "battle of the bands"-event, competing against us, and we couldn't hold a candle to 'em! Still, they acted like our biggest supporters and buds, even though they had only just met us.

And I've noted that pedal-steel players are ALL eccentric at the least, and full-blown bull-goose insane at the extreme. But almost all real friendly, good folks! Many of 'em are very inventive "D.I.Y."-sorts that make a lot of various electric and mechanical contraptions. I once told a bass-playing friend of mine about my observations, and he at first thought it was ridiculous. It didn't take him long to come back and tell me I was dead-on right! :D

I can see the down-to-earth, friendly, "regular people" vibe that gtrwiz cites, I'd tend to agree with him there, for sure. I'd guess that snotty attitudes don't always go as far as they might in rock and pop circles. (I'm guessing it's a pre-requisite for the Sony Records payola-stable and the whole diva/boy-band scene, almost as much as pitch-correction software... ) :rolleyes:

Add a little old-fashioned politeness and "mind your manners" social etiquette civility for which the South in particular is famed for, and it's no wonder that the Sex Pistols- or "The Great Kat"- didn't come from Tennessee! :D

Note that Elvis, who was more than a little Country and came from the background we're referring to here, once reminded his band on-stage, over the mics, that "Led Zeppelin" was "in the audience", and to be sure to play their best for them. Later when the members of Led Zep visited Graceland and met Elvis, he sternly reprimanded them for cussing and asked them to speak politely!

For me, anyways, "Country" music- the radio/TV-hit variety- is often a lot more fun to play than to listen to. I do tend to throw a LOT of steely, country-ish ingredients into my bluesy, jazzy rock mix. Kinda hard not to. To the point that more than once, noodling around unplugged on an electric in front of people who hadn't heard me play before, I've been asked, "Hmnh, COUNTRY player, right?!"! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Too many rock stars take the "rock is rebellion" thing way too seriously. be nice to the people who make it possible for you to make a living at music, or you won't make music for a living very long...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by picker:

Too many rock stars take the "rock is rebellion" thing way too seriously. be nice to the people who make it possible for you to make a living at music, or you won't make music for a living very long...

Too, right. :D:thu:

Born on the Bayou

Maybe it's because they all believe in Jesus?

That's a joke folks (on more than one level).

Actually one of the kindest and most gentle guitarists I ever had the pleasure of knowing was John Connelly from Nuclear Assault. Really. And I've certainly met some seriously misogynist, racist ratfuckers who played country music.

I think that suggesting that there is any relationship between the type of music you play, and whether or not you are an asshole is pretty stupid. Then again, I tend to think that lots of people are pretty stupid, so I suppose one could argue that such a statement is "folk wisdom."

I suppose this isn't going to go over well.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

I dunno any country guys really, though I like that style of lead playing the best.

I don't care for most of the stuff on the radio, rock or country.

Lots of players are nice when you meet them. To me what impresses me about someone is whether or not they are interested in someone else. Some guys are real nice and act all humble, but they could care less about you or anyone else. They only talk about themselves.

You know the type, sometimes we get them in the forum. They post their shit but really could care less about checking anyone elses stuff out.

Or guys that 'act' humble even tho you know they aren't. Whenever someone 'acts' it is lame.

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Lots of players are nice when you meet them. To me what impresses me about someone is whether or not they are interested in someone else. Some guys are real nice and act all humble, but they could care less about you or anyone else. They only talk about themselves.

I have no interest in anything you have to say! :D

Actually I think you hit it, right on. ;)

Originally posted by FormerOceanwaySlave:

And I've certainly met some seriously misogynist, racist ratfuckers who played country music.

Me too, although I think the ones I've met preferred squirrels over rats for their romantic escapades. They liked them for food, too.

However, right now I know a couple country guitarists that are some of the nicest people I've ever met.... I don't know about your experiences, but many pop/rock (with their $5,000 rigs, egos to match, and a few power chords --ULTRAPREMATURE rock star syndrome) guitarists aren't very nice and humble, and these country guys in particular definitely ARE nice people.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Hey gtrwhiz you sound like you are a pretty accomplished player, you have any stuff online we could check out?

I am practicing my ass off tonight for no reason.

I don't have a web site yet, but you can check out my brothers site: http://www.kentondre.com/

Go to The Compound menu and under clients there are sound clips. There's a bunch of stuff on there, but some personal faves are: Sounds Under Radio - Overflow, Pat Green - Winter Wonderland, AM Sunday, Mike Rosenthal - Get Out of My Way, Rufus Mcgovern - Good For Nothin'. We started the studio together, and he took over when I decided to move to LA. My bro is a killer drummer.

All the stuff on the site is tasteful sideman stuff, I've got a couple of things from a friends cover band demo that he let me rip on. If you're interested PM me and I'll email you an mp3.

I'm writing for my first solo record right now, the plan is to start recording in October...

Nice. I listened to all of it. Nice studio. I liked Overflow the best as far as songs. Matson Belle had some cool sounding stuff. You sound excellent on every song you mentioned. Your bro rocks too. Winterwonderland has nice accompanied guitars, all of it sounds pro.

The mixes sound nice on everything. Good job

Actually one of the kindest and most gentle guitarists I ever had the pleasure of knowing was John Connelly from Nuclear Assault. Really. And I've certainly met some seriously misogynist, racist ratfuckers who played country music.

I think that suggesting that there is any relationship between the type of music you play, and whether or not you are an asshole is pretty stupid. Then again, I tend to think that lots of people are pretty stupid, so I suppose one could argue that such a statement is "folk wisdom."

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

Hay Alan... you are probably right! but no problem as long as you really believe what you say! I post things that the guys dont like ALL the time and get my butt kicked about it but they are very cool people and we get by it! Im thinking that most times when they see one of my posts they think "OH NO its that ass hole Lee again NOW WHAT! :wave: Lee in MoTown :thu:

Nice. I listened to all of it. Nice studio. I liked Overflow the best as far as songs. Matson Belle had some cool sounding stuff. You sound excellent on every song you mentioned. Your bro rocks too. Winterwonderland has nice accompanied guitars, all of it sounds pro.

The mixes sound nice on everything. Good job

Thanks Flagship. When I get a chance I'll check out the links on your sig. The Sounds Under Radio stuff is my fave too. Winter Wonderland was for a Chrstmas compilation that included Willie Nelson, Alan Jackson, Norah Jones, etc. If I'm not mistaken it charted @ 36 or so, on Billboards Country chart. I can't wait to make my record, I'll finally get to play exactly what I want without anyone to answer to but myself. :D

Originally posted by ellwood:

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

Hay Alan... you are probably right! but no problem as long as you really believe what you say! I post things that the guys dont like ALL the time and get my butt kicked about it but they are very cool people and we get by it! Im thinking that most times when they see one of my posts they think "OH NO its that ass hole Lee again NOW WHAT! :wave: Lee in MoTown :thu:
oh no it is that @$$h0le Lee again!!!!! :eek:

More stupid and useless facts:

! More Afro-Americans listen to Rap & HipHop than Oriental-Americans & more Afro-Americans are involved in violent offences than Oriental-Americans.

? Does this mean Rap & HipHop are causing violance

! More White-American listen to Country than Native-Americans & more White-Americans enlist in the military than Native-Americans.

? Does this mean Country music is particularly suited to building a human killing machine.

! People often get irritated when encountering Hare Krishna singers at airports.

? Does all Krishna music insite agression or just the those songs suited to airports.

! More Viet Namm draft dodgers who fled to Canada enjoyed listening to and playing Rock & Roll music than those who listened to or played Classical.

? Does this mean that it was more dificult to get into Canada with brass or woodwind instruments?

Remember that... while some funny things are simply a result of ignorance you should take care not to find ignorance as something funny.

ya... country folk are fine people... be they north or south and Ellwood does look like the Devil.

(....wearing a ball glove just in case!)

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

" ! More Viet Namm draft dodgers who fled to Canada enjoyed listening to and playing Rock & Roll music than those who listened to or played Classical.

? Does this mean that it was more dificult to get into Canada with brass or woodwind instruments?"

:D:evil:
Originally posted by Ricochet:

"She's pretty familiar with the devil, then?"

Mama always said he was the only man she let park his shoes under her bed, and that I should never, ever forget to sign the father's day cards she picked to mail out to someone every year...

Originally posted by ellwood:

:evil: "yes my darlings....welcome to my DARK SIDE HOOOHAAAA.... "

I sure wish Vicky Valencourte would welcome me to her dark side hooohaaa...

("Mama? What's a 'hooohaaa'?")

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

quote:
Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

[qb]" ! More Viet Namm draft dodgers who fled to Canada enjoyed listening to and playing Rock & Roll music than those who listened to or played Classical.

? Does this mean that it was more difficult to get into Canada with brass or woodwind instruments?"

:D:wave:

.. the rest is just observations and oversimplifications :thu:

I heard this yesterday with regard to the goings on down south...... "suspension of disbelief"

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

This is an interesting line: how did we get from country pickers being nice people, to people looking like the devil?

Is it possible to do both at the same time, or the reverse??

Seriously, lots of country pickers PLAY great, which is the main thing to me... since I don't come into actual contact with any of them these days! That's not to say I wouldn't mind playing with them, just to see what licks I could steal, and vice versa.... ongoing shameless thievery, and still legal, than God!

Archived