Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

affordable, good amp?

MILLO

This is another one of those very generic gear-related threads:

List amps you think that being sold new or used (typical prices you've seen on ebay, retailers or being sold by individuals), can be thought of being 'affordable' and that you think sound great for gigging, are quiet in operation, have a fat-sounding, not too bright or dark clean channel, and a smooth, not harsh, buzzy or fuzzy distortion channel. Let's say between $300-700. Combos or heads, preferably tube amps (either 6L6 or EL34 based), and let's add "lightweight" to the list of qualities.

Would those Traynor amps fit in this category?

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Traynors are a lot better than the units that bore that name back in the '70s, but I know guys who have had trouble with them, and others who gig steadily with them and sing their praises.

Also, beware of the Jack Daniels amp. It's nothing more than a repackaged Peavey Classic 30 for a lot more money. If ya like it's sounds, just get the Classic 30.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I don't know about lightweight, but the Traynor YCV50Blue uses EL34s ... it's a shade over your price range ($704 from Musician's Friend). I've found it to be a problem-free amp, but I only bought it last November, so that doesn't mean much.

On the other hand, I've also tried the Peavey Classic amps and they also are good for the price.

Mkay, sounds like I should try a Traynor. Gee, but why aren't they available as heads?

Also, the reverend sound slike a good choice but I'd need to wait, and most likely they'll be sold out when I'm ready to buy.

My MySpace Space

If you get a combo you can upgrade the speakers if you want. If you use a cabinet realize this is a big part of your tone. I think Orange makes the best cabs around, just my opinion tho. I don't have one but if I did I bet you would shit if you heard my head through it. The classic has as much distortion as you would ever want.. In fact I consider it a high gain amp.

Clean channel headroom? I know that in theory, the higher the power rating the larger headroom the clean channel will have.

I'd assume the Fender has a very nice headroom. What is its headroom like? What about a Classic 50 head (I'd assume the 100 is fine in this department)? When do these start to breakup?

I'd need a REALLY clean, "clean" channel.

My MySpace Space

The Classic clean sound is great. The only draw back to it is that it doesn't have a separate EQ, but really it sounds great anyways.

I haven't played through a Classic 50 head. Mine is 100 (only one I have seen actually) and they have recently made a Classic 30. I couldn't comment because I haven't played through one. I think the distorted channel on the Classic is great. It is the best of both worlds really and it is pretty cheap.

I had a Traynor before, the only one I have tried is the one I owned for a few days. It was the blue 1 speaker combo with EL 34 power tubes. It sounded good in the store but with the band it sounded like a mosquito. That is something to be aware of when you are shopping for amps. Sometimes it can fool you in the store and then when you get together with the band it doesn't sound so good.

As for breakup in the clean channel on my head, I have to turn it up really loud, but it does happen. I think mild class A distortion is cool for the clean. Unfortunatly for me I really don't have that option because my amp is too loud.

As I stated before, make SURE you have a good cab to play it through. You could get teh best Marshall on the planet and it would only sound decent or OK through an OK cab.

I was thinking of getting a head and an Avatar 2x12, the one w/ the Vin 30 and the G12H30... In the end, my Carvin MTS 3212 combo's clean channel is not that bad, although its distortion channel is kinda rough, harsh, blagh.

There's nothing nice about the dist channel, it's definitely a metal rhythm player's amp... I mean, it is useful, it's not THAT bad, it's just not very smooth, like I said... My FD-2 through the clean channel sounds smoother than the MTS' distortion channel, even though the MTS is a tube amp--its distortion channel has clipping diodes. I guess it really needs to be cranked up to get a smoother dist sound out of it, and since it's a 100-watter and I haven't been gigging, I haven't set it even on 5 for more than 2 minutes. Anyhow, it's not the right distortion sound for the band I just joined, which is like a soft-pop-funky-R&B-thang-meets-Sadé-meets-modern-Brazilian-pop.

There are mods available for the MTS to make it sound smoother, but I could just try to sell it and get something that wouldn't need a mod to sound the way I want it to....

or I could just stick w/ it and use the FD-2 for the OD sounds.

flagship, mow much does your Classic head weigh?

My MySpace Space

Archived