Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: so, how much you payin' for gas?

pollock

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in the Dallas area, it's running about $2.77. I heard that it's up to $6 a gallon in Georgia! Wonder if that's just a rumor.

Sure glad my 03 Civic gets 33 mpg in the city. I drove to East Texas last week, and got 40 mpg on the highway.

Here in Ontario it's running about $1.26 per litre which in American would be $4.77 per gallon. :eek:

This is actually being factored into whether or not we move closer to where my wife and I both work. We both drive 50 miles a day getting to and from work. Two cars. That's 500 miles a week for work + everything else we do with 4 kids!

That's a lot of gas.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

The spike in gas prices in my opinion is dispicable and treasonish. Most of these gas stations aren't even dealing with the higher prices yet and by the time they would all the supply issues would be solved or illeviated due to the reserves being tapped. This is price gouging folks and the federal gov needs to fine those that are taking advantage of this situation to line their pockets.

Mix of Rock, Metal & Heavy Fusion

http://www.visualcliff.net

My new band...Melodic Hard Rock

http://www.fallofechoes.com

Originally posted by robbue:

The spike in gas prices in my opinion is dispicable and treasonish. Most of these gas stations aren't even dealing with the higher prices yet and by the time they would all the supply issues would be solved or illeviated due to the reserves being tapped. This is price gouging folks and the federal gov needs to fine those that are taking advantage of this situation to line their pockets.

Damn straight! Here in WA, we get our fuel from AK, and our prices have skyrocketed. The independant gas station owners are really hurting also, since the big chains get 'first dibs' & much better prices from the refinerys, which leaves these guys with the overpriced leftovers.

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Originally posted by robbue:

Actually, it's not the gas station operators that are to blame. The pricing comes from the wholesalers who base their prices on the futures market. If you want to blame somebody, blame the futures traders.

Around $3.00 per gallon here in the Cincinnati area. 42MPG in my '99 Civic 5 speed, so it's a big hidee-ho to me. I'm thanking the good Lord I have (a) a car to drive, (b) a job to drive it to and © a family and house to drive home to. It's all realative...
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Prices in California have almost always been well ahead of the country, until Katrina hit. For the past year we in the Bay Area have yo yo'd between 2.75 to 3.00 for super premium...this morning in San Francisco it was at 3.10.

What the hell is going on in Georgia? I also saw on the news that gas was going at 6.00...I hope Lee F. is driving a hybrid! (My sister lives in Atlanta too...she drives a Land Cruiser...oh my.)

John

Reporting from Georgia - Athens: As cheap as $3 as much as $3.50 for what I saw. Someone was reporting that a couple of brothers who owned BP stations where really gouging just north of Atlanta. But I also heard they were fined $10,000. They've been announcing the phone number to report gougers on the radio all day.

Yesterday afternoon there were lines wrapped around all stations. Today it is cool as can be with no waits at most places. They've got the two main gas lines working again, though not at capacity yet.

Let's face it. We were paying way too much before all of this carnage took place. My one oil company stock has gone up over 200% in the last year and went up another $5.80 TODAY.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

What happened in Georgia is the stupid news media. They were on TV yesterday telling everyone here that there was going to be a gas shortage. So, what happened? We had a run on gas stations resulting in, you guessed it, a gas shortage. And today, the SAME TV stations were talking about how dumb people were going out and buying all the available gas.

I bought gas today because I had to (when I finally found a station with gas) for $3.35 a gallon. My pickup was nearly empty. It cost me $81 (24.2 gallons in a 25 gallon tank) to fill it back up. Even that station didn't have any "Plus" or "Premium" gas.

My wife was one of the panicers. She went out on Wednesday morning and filled her car up even though she had 3/4 of a tank and only drives about 75 miles a week (and gets 35 miles to the gallon in her Toyota). Yeah, she only bought about 4 gallons of gas, but it was 4 gallons she didn't need.

There were crazy lines at the gas stations yesterday all over Atlanta. All drummed by the idiots in the local media giving dire warnings about a gasoline shortage.

People are so easily paniced...

Born on the Bayou

Update from Georgia - announcing on the radio today someone was charging --> $9.99 <-- a gallon for premium. And yes, the government is going to prosecute.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Here in Columbia, SC I paid $2.99 Thursday night (but others I saw were as high as $3.29) and they had already run out once. They didn't think they'd have any more gas(oline) for a while, but I saw them selling gas (still $2.99) the next day.

I HAVE to go to Rock Hill (approx. 90 miles) this morning, so I'll try to give 'ya all an update later. btw, my lounge on wheels (1993 GMC Conversion Van w/ 5.7 litre) gets a marvelous 14mpg around town and 17+ on the highway :(

Also, at the USA Today site these further explanations of the gas prices/supply:

Will We Run Out?

Some out; some $6

Oil Refineries

All very interesting. Forum your own opinion (pun intended).

And, for all 'ya all in California: If you had the chance to sell your gasoline in California for $3.10/gallon or Atlanta for $6.00/gallon; where would you sell it? :rolleyes: It's called Capitalism.

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

i am in the same boat as the other canadians.

but i looked to the future after our prevous bullshit prices in the early months of this year and got rid of our Ford Windstar and bought a Toyota Matrix...ha ha ha.

and as far as i am concerned the prices are bullshit, the usual scam.

I'll echo Guitarzan's sentiment here.

We were warned of prices hitting $1.00 a litre here. Everyone freaked out and had a fit. Now it's up to $1.40 a litre.

A few months from now, the government will come up with some sort of "tax break" and drop the price down to 90 cents a litre and everyone will cheer and say what a great government we have, forgetting that just a year ago the prices were at 60 cents a litre.

there has been a trend with auto makers to build bigger and more powerful cars/trucks and once the masses started buying all these beasts the price went up......hmmm

recently it seems that gas economy was second to "Show off factor" by buyers compared to past years.

curious to see how this affects the auto makers..

Archived