Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Smooth,Sustaining Tele sound?

tchipman

Here's a question for you tone guru's out there. There is a tone I keep hearing coming from a telecaster and I don't know what amp or what FX if any but I really like it. You hear it on Vince Gill albums and other country pickers songs. Very clean, but ballsy, and what seems like endless sustain. Does anyone here know how to get that?
All my stuff is here: www.timothychipman.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good gear and a good ear will help ya, but if ya don't have that stuff, compression is the key for that tone.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Thanks to all. I have a Super Comp but it makes so much noise now that it's not usable. I called the factory and they want almost $70 to fix it.(the guy said it was a leaky cap)I did like it though and need to replace it. I'm thinking Route 66 or even the old dyna comp. Any opinions?

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Vince Gill's tone may be due to boutique amps and guitar mods. I don't know his actual setup, but a lot of big acts are going with Dr Z, Matchless, Tom Anderson, etc.

he uses two Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve amps, stock from the factory, and a '53 tele. he's not really a gearhead type of guy.

I know a lot of his tone comes from his hands but I still wonder about that smooth, clean, sustain. Has it got anything to do with the guitar. (Danny Gatton got a tone a lot like it too.) Vince is a great artist anyway. Thanks for that info.

Originally posted by tchipman:

I'm thinking Route 66 or even the old dyna comp. Any opinions?

I love my Demeter Compulator, it's the first compressor I've used that really enhances tone instead of squashing the life out of it.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

and sometimes a clean tele is not as clean as you think.

I think that having an ultra clean tone is probably the biggest myth about country tone. I've found that if you don't have at least a little hair it's really hard to cut through.
www.myspace.com/christondre

I know exactly what you mean Guitarzan. That tone I speak of is not clean at all but very articulate. I'm really tired of heavy distortion, the fuzzy kind where all you can hear are big 5th's chords. But you're right, that tone is not clean. It's the same tone (almost) that Joe Walsh got when he backed up James Taylor's Steam Roller on the Clapton festival DVD.

Originally posted by tchipman:

Here's a question for you tone guru's out there. There is a tone I keep hearing coming from a telecaster and I don't know what amp or what FX if any but I really like it. You hear it on Vince Gill albums and other country pickers songs. Very clean, but ballsy, and what seems like endless sustain. Does anyone here know how to get that?

Can you give an example of a song by Vince that has the tone you're looking for? I have almost all of his records...
www.myspace.com/christondre

Archived