Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT- Amplifier Effects Loop and Reverb Sequence

phaeton

Hello!

Some time ago, i was dinking around with my Reverend Goblin* and my small array of effects pedals. Just for kicks, i put my TubeScreamer in the effects loop instead of in front of the amp. However, I noticed that it was midboosting/distorting the reverb tails along with everything else. Seems to be an indication that the effects loop comes AFTER the reverb tank in the signal path.

Is this a typical sequence?

The only other amp i ever had with an effects loop was a Quantum Terminator 25R (remember those? :eek: ) but i didn't have any pedals or anything at the time so i never used the fx loop.

I realize that I can just put whatever affect into the input of the amp to have it in front of the reverb, but as we all know the sequence of everything gives us different flavours, and sometimes that can make or break an effect. I don't own or play with a lot of stompboxes, but I plan on building an outboard tremolo and i'd kinda like it after the preamp but before the reverb.

Am I wrong?

*Limited Edition Modern Vintage Instant Classic Collectable You-Snozt-You-Lozt Reverend Goblin 5/15 combo and I owe it all to my kind and beautiful girlfriend who bought me one for christmas......

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's how it is usually done. All my amps with effects loops - Mesa Boogie MkIIB, Tech 21 Trademark 60 and my *brand new* Goblin all have the loops after the reverb and tone stack.

To me that makes sense because I only use time warping effects in the loop. I always put any signal enhancers before the input. I don't use many effects. Mainly a Line 6 DL4 in the loop and a Carl Martin compressor, MXR Double Shot Distortion (and sometimes a Thomas Organ Cry Baby) in front of the amp.

By the way, I am so impressed by the goblin, it just feels so good to play. It is so responsive to dynamics that I only use the distortion when I *really* mean it, mostly I just control the grind with the guitar volume control and playing dynamics. I hate that they quit making amps.

Jamie

But never fear, you're safe with me... Well maybe. - Les

Archived