Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vox Tonelab

Jedro

Anyone here have any experience with the Vox Tonelab box? If so, does it do what is says it does? I mean, when it says "Pyromania", should I expect Steve Clarke to rise from the dead and bring his ax? I've been looking at one but just don't have the time to sit and tinker all day. I'd like to get some feedback on it.

Thanks!

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good friend bought one of the amps with the Tonelab built in, and he liked it a whole lot... for a while. Then eventually he got tired of it and went back to his old tube amp.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I heard a guy playing through one the other day at a store, it sounded pretty good. There have been a couple threads about the Tonelab in the recent past and a lot of good things have been said. I keep meaning to put one through it's paces... Anyway, these may help...

http://www.musicplayer.com//ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/19/t/011097.html

http://www.musicplayer.com//ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/19/t/008191.html

Go that way really fast.  If something gets in your way, turn.

I'm very happy with my tonelab and valvetronix ad120 combo - the combo and vc-12 footswitch came first, but a gig in an orchestra pit playing "Jesus Christ Superstar" made a 120 watt 2-12 combo too big and too loud to be practical -

I got the tonelab, hooked up the vc-12 footswitch, and hooked direct to the pa.

The sound and FEEL is great, the unit is easy to program, nearly all parameters are on the face of the unit with no menus to wade through.

It sounds great for recording - I haven't tried it through a guitar amp since I have the ad120, but I have no doubt that it would work great in that application as well.

Here are some links that I think will impress - the demos are with the combo, but the tonelab is essentialy the same circuit - the tonelab has the option of mixing and matching cab types with amps that the combo doesn't have, or you can bypass the cabinet completely to plug into a regular amp. the tonelab also has an extra control for the effects - Hope this helps! Joe

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/vtoverview_movie.htm

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/vt_audition.htm

Joe Taylor

Hi,

Anyone knows what the midi in/out on the tonelab does? I am hoping that it will allow me to use the midi out to record my guitar in midi .. but common sense tells me for the money, it's not likely.

Pier.

* Godin Freeway Classic * Seagull M6 * Timothy S10J

That would be neat, but it's not... I'm using the midi jacks to sync with the tonelab software on my computer, I'm assuming one could also sync with other processors or floor controllers. BTW, the vc-12 works great with the tonelab.. Hope this helps! Joe
Joe Taylor

Originally posted by DIAMOND DUST:

I'm using it for blues/rock and jazzyer type stuff, but this dude has got some killer Steve Vai/Garry More tones. Check it out. Go to the top of the page.... :cool:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=11274308#post11274308

DD I checked the guy out and he smokes and

the lab sounds great but have you played out

with it? Like I said before for recordings

and bedroom jams they sound great,but when

you take em out live they turn in to a differant

beast.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

• 2 weeks later...
I play out with a ToneLab SE all the time and cannot say enough nice things about it. I play it through a Carr Rambler and get a gorgeous tone. Occasionally in rehearsal, I'll play it through the P.A. system and it still gets a great tone, although not as good as with the Carr.

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

I play out with a ToneLab SE all the time and cannot say enough nice things about it. I play it through a Carr Rambler and get a gorgeous tone. Occasionally in rehearsal, I'll play it through the P.A. system and it still gets a great tone, although not as good as with the Carr.

Ken, is it an improvement over the Rambler's regular input stage? Those are nice amps!

-Steve

-----------------------------------

Sometimes ya gotta find out what it ain't, to find out what it is...

I gotta say...I have a Digitech RP-7 I like a lot but that has drawbacks especially for me, for live playing (too difficult to see what you chose as mod, dist, etc.)

So I have been really, really tempted by this Vox Tonelab SE. Seen pictures, read reviews, here also, looked at the manual...

Haven't TRIED it of course, but the other day was the first time I ever even SAW it live...and my GAWD...what a HUGE pedal this is!

For some reason I wasn't prepared for just how wide the thing is, and how much floor space it takes. I've been using stompboxes, and probably use more space now, but not with one monolith.

It didn't turn me against it, but it did make me pause a litte.

When I have some money, I think I need to try one out.

Or better yet...while I'm still broke just to be safe.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

• 2 weeks later...

Ken/ElevenShadows:

I'm considering one of these Vox SE unit and I read where you're using it live through your Carr and getting good sounds. Question: Does the VOX allow you to bypass the cabinet emulator? Or do you have to just tweak the eq?

Originally posted by GigginPig:

Ken/ElevenShadows:

I'm considering one of these Vox SE unit and I read where you're using it live through your Carr and getting good sounds. Question: Does the VOX allow you to bypass the cabinet emulator? Or do you have to just tweak the eq?

Yes you can bypass the cabs. You just push a button to shut it off. I have been running the SE thru my Univalve with the cab off and it makes a huge difference in the tone and amount of distortion. With no cab it really tightens things up in front of an amp. It responds more like a bunch of analog stompboxs than a digital amp modeller. Which is great. But, thru the eff loop of an amp, or direct recording, the cab emulations are killer. :cool:

Archived