Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Airlines & guitar carry-on policies

hard truth

Does anyone know which airlines are most cooperative with letting guitarists carry-on their guitars? Or which airlines are best at protecting your guitar when they force you to ckeck it in as baggage? Which airlines have the worst guitar policies?

Perhaps we can unify to pressure airlines to accomodate musicians' needs.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just flew Chicago to New York on United. I called ahead to see if I could bring my guitar on board. I was told I could not unless it would fit under the seat or in the overhead. Otherwise, I could buy a seat for it or check it in as baggage. Since I have a flight case for it, I thought that checking it in would be ok. On the flight, I noticed there was a guy with a guitar in a gig bag. The flight attendant said nothing and he went right in. It turns out that guy was John Abercrombie. We spoke at the baggage claim and he said that United was usually pretty good about letting you board, but that he found that Delta was very strict about it. I wish I had brought mine on board too, because as it turned out, the guitar was not on the flight with me :eek: . It had been put on a later flight, and when it did arrive the pickguard was damaged :mad: . I know it was taken out of the case, because a brand new unopened bag of picks in the storage compartment had been opened.

Paul

A around 1993 I started shipping my guitars UPS before I left for a trip and would either have someone where I was going sign for them or get there before they arrived. It makes traveling so much better. It didn't matter if you could prove to the fight attendant that the instrument fit perfectly in the overhead rack or not, and the tags from previous flights still sitting on the guitar case didn't offer any reason to the flight attendants to be more reasonable about it. For me I'll never do it any other way.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Archived