Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Producer royalties ?

Hi All, here is the situation : We had a nice demo album that we send around. A guy that heard it (claimed to be a producer) send us some edit maps (only changing the structures of some song - moving the chorus forward, shortening the intro, etc..) came and mix the songs in our studio and sign a producer contract with us - giving him royalties plus broadcasting rights. After some time we have decided to rework the songs : parts were taken off, new parts played in, structures changed, new backing were sang etc... all the songs were mixed again and loads of live instrument recorded. Here is the question : Does the guy deserve royalties? Does editing and mixing make him a "producer " in the first place. ? now that all the song were reproduce, re-record and remixed .... It is not a money issue - if he should get royalties it will come from the record label anyway, it is a principle thing. We feel like we were conned, is it so? Finally, if it does get to court, who will decide what should happen? thanks for any input . Danny ------------------ Visit http://www.DarlingNikkie.com/sounds for free MP3's

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have three questions: 1) Did you keep [i]any[/i] of his work or suggestions? 2) Was the contract limited to apply to the masters created with him or did it include any masters of the songs he worked on? 3) Has he already been paid some money for his work, or was it done entirely on spec? Legally, I can't answer your questions, but ethically I would say that he deserves to be paid in some way for his work whether it was used or not. Perhaps not in the way mentioned in the contract, since the songs were reworked, but in some way at least. You may want to renegotiate with him and see if you can find a fair solution before things get out of hand.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Legally - I don't care. Labels problem. Ethically - I agree. We thought of letting him sign along for 2 of the song which still as some of his ideas - but he insist on the full amount. Do you regard structure editing as producing ? (not cutting parts but rearanging choruses and verses)

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

Archived