Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

80's covers

spiral light

Somewhat influenced by the Lennon covers thread:

There seems to have been a surge of interest in bands covering 80's music. The initial ones I can think of are:

Heroes - Wallflowers (not as good as original)

Blue Monday - can't remember who did it (hmmmm)

Cars - Fear Factory w/Gary Numan (surprisingly good!)

Someone also covered a tears For Fears song recently too.

The question, when are we going to hear "Club Tropicana" by Wham! covered by Korn (or some other such band)?

www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm waiting for the Jessica Simpson cover of Irene Cara's "What A Feeling (Flashdance)" . . . or maybe Ashlee can just lip sync it on the Regis show.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

nirvana did a bowie cover of The man who sold the world as well

and orgie did the blue monday cover...

my take on em?

well if the band covers a song at a show or something, just for fun, then thats cool. there showing people what they liked and grew up on...when you cover a song and make money off it and it gets you your first hit...i think thats kinda sad

Originally posted by Dave da Dude:

How 'bout "Saturday Night Fever"? :rolleyes::D

Have you heard Ozzy Osbourne's version of "Stayin' Alive?"

or Malibu Storm doing "Photograph" as a lazy country ballad?

or "Shock the Monkey" by Coal Chamber and Ozzy?

or "Tainted Love" by Marilyn Manson?

or Britney Spears doing "I Love Rock and Roll"

My favorite 80's cover, though, is the Pretenders' "Message of Love" done by Saliva. A nice take on a very straightforward song.

"For instance" is not proof.

Dweezil Zappa did "Saturday night fver" some years ago; twas pretty cool and like 6 guest guitar players, one huge solo..

Orgy did Blue Monday...

I was too young to get into music back then, but there was a lot interesting things going on in that 80 - 84 period. Sure, some may not like it. Pop back then was way better than the Pop we have today. Nowadays, almost everything sounds "fabricated".

So much more of an "Industry" right now..

zeronyne, Have you heard Ozzy Osbourne's version of "Stayin' Alive?"
no ... I'll look for it though ... it HAS to be better than the original :rolleyes:

TeleCarlos, So much more of an "Industry" right now..
yeah ... kinda' sad :cry:

.. it used to be that, while of course a business, at least people were having fun :cool:

.. from what I can tell now .. its all business :freak:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by GTRBass:

Then there's Mariah Carey destroying that Def Lepard song "Bringin on the heartbreak".

She also did a horrible version of Open Arms, which amazes me.

And as for Pat, Boone, have you heard the rest of the tunes on his metal album? They are really awesome big band renditions. My favorites are "Holy Diver" and "You got another thing comin'"

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by TeleCarlos:

Dweezil Zappa did "Saturday night fver" some years ago; twas pretty cool and like 6 guest guitar players, one huge solo..

Orgy did Blue Monday...

I was too young to get into music back then, but there was a lot interesting things going on in that 80 - 84 period. Sure, some may not like it. Pop back then was way better than the Pop we have today. Nowadays, almost everything sounds "fabricated".

If I'm remembering the right thing, he did "Stayin' Alive", and DONNY OSMOND was the vocalist!! :eek: (I've got a copy of that somewhere - I should see if I can find it...)

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

Originally posted by TeleCarlos:

Orgy did Blue Monday...

If I'm remembering the right thing, he did "Stayin' Alive", and DONNY OSMOND was the vocalist!! :eek: (I've got a copy of that somewhere - I should see if I can find it...)
Here it is. I like my band's version better...

http://www.osmond.com/donny-zone/sounds.html

Mike

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

And as for Pat Boone, have you heard the rest of the tunes on his metal album? They are really awesome big band renditions. My favorites are "Holy Diver" and "You got another thing comin'"...

Of course Pat's been doing this sort of thing since his extremely white covers of Little Richard tunes in the 50s. I didn't used to think so, but now I think Pat's got big ol' cojones for trying this; he knows the kind of ridicule he's letting himself in for, and does it anyway, 'cause he wants to. You go, Pat!

There was aband called Alien Ant Farm that did a heavy metal version of Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" that was pretty cool.

Anybody remember that stupid teenybopper band called "Truth to Power" or something like that, that did a dance oriented medley of "Free Bird" and one other song? I still get the cooties just thinking of it. As a matter of fact, since I typed that, I"m going to wash my keyboard.

There's a singer/songwriter named Emm Gryner that did an album called "Girl Versions" which is all 80's metal tunes done in a piano/vocal Tori Amos style. :thu:

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

Do you remember Celine Dion doing AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long"? The horror, the horror...

Come on now, she plays a damn fine air guitar. :freak::confused:
"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

Originally posted by billster:

There was aband called Alien Ant Farm that did a heavy metal version of Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" that was pretty cool.

Anybody remember that stupid teenybopper band called "Truth to Power" or something like that, that did a dance oriented medley of "Free Bird" and one other song? I still get the cooties just thinking of it. As a matter of fact, since I typed that, I"m going to wash my keyboard.

There's a singer/songwriter named Emm Gryner that did an album called "Girl Versions" which is all 80's metal tunes done in a piano/vocal Tori Amos style. :thu:

Tori Amos did a good cd of covers a few years ago (Strange Little Girls I believe it was called).

As for more dance oriented stuff, the Pink Floyd remixes (Meddle, DSOTM & WYWH) are all good stuff.

www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

One of the coolest covers ever: Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive by Cake. :thu:

Also, KC and the Sunshine Band's I'm Your Boogie Man by White Zombie.

Someone recently did Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man too, but I can't remember who. It's good, but not as good as the original. :(

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Archived