Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Howlin' Wolf Story

PBBPaul

I watched this last night on one of the Starz channels. I was reminded of how inspirational Howlin' Wolf was and just how innovative Hubert Sumlin was on guitar. I've been priveledged to play alongside Hubert Sumlin on a few occasions and to have known him for many years. He is a quiet, humble and totally understated guy who brought so much to our music. Howlin' Wolf was just a decent guy who worked hard, supported his family and made great music.

Anybody else see this show?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by stanner:

We talked about this on 12/04 on this list.

Its available on DVD.

Go get it :)

s :cool:

Oops, I missed that one. I don't spend as much time here as I used to. It is a great show though. I heavily recommend it.

One thing that struck me - I have always been a huge fan of Son House's music. I never realized what lush he became in his later years. Damned shame.

Originally posted by stanner:

We talked about this on 12/04 on this list.

Its available on DVD.

Go get it :)

s :cool:

Hey, that's great news. I don't have Starz and I LOVE da Wolf!

"One summer day, she went away ..."

I really don't know what to put here.

Yeah Boyee, Woof was de man!

Despite his tussle with Muddy Waters for kingship of Chicago blues, he just always came in second but his influence on cats like Capt Beefheart (Don Van Vliet) & the late Lowell George (of Little Feat) was significant & his recorded performances are sublime.

Hubert Sumlin, whom I, too, met several times while working at Clifford Antone's club in Austin, is indeed a very nice, gentle fellow---quite unlike the ripping parts he played!

Did this film (I gotta find it) deal with any of the other players, like Pat Hare or Willie Johnson?

Originally posted by Michael Jackson's real nose:

Did this film (I gotta find it) deal with any of the other players, like Pat Hare or Willie Johnson?[/QB]

no it doesnt...it seems its the only dvd the co. is offering...

google it goes to their website.

s

:cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Gotta love Howlin' Wolf and his signature rasp.

Ever heard Monster Magnet's version of "Evil?" It's a beautiful thing.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived