Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

danelectro

vikingrat

alright,im confused.is danelectro still making guitars or not?according to the new gp buyers gude they are up and going and owned by HHI.the same company that handles bc rich and olp.yet there is nothing about dano on thier web site.the danos from the 90s are getting costly

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know, no. Danelectro is no longer producing reissue guitars. Wait till NAMM and we'll se if a new reissue line is coming out. I wouldn't be surprised. The '90's Dano's were made in Korea anyway.

Since the '90's Dano's are getting costly on the used market the Jerry Jones guitars are looking more and more attracive. Now there's a Dano on steroids!!!

I love my '90's reissue Dano's but I would never take them on the road.

I checked into the issue of discontinued Danelectros a while back and never got a responce from their customer service department. :( I think they're discontinued. I've got one of the '59-DC re-issues. Neat guitar, but it's limited in the variety of tones it will deliver.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

why then,did guitar player put that in the buyer guide?if its a typo thats lame.guitar player seems to be more on top of this stuff than guitar world who seem to make so many mistakes in their tech articles you wonder if they do any research at all.danos have been out of production since i worked at guitar centers so i see no reanson for this to be in a 2005 buyers guide unless somebody submitted this product info.im slighty obsessed with this matter.i need a hoppy other than guitars i think

Bluestrat

I've got one of the '59-DC re-issues. Neat guitar, but it's limited in the variety of tones it will deliver.
I can't agree less on that statement! I have a reissue DC '59 and can get stunning shimmery clean tones, faux jazz, tele twang, authentic roots, garage, blues, nasty slide and with a dirt pedal it rocks!

Dano's are incredible guitars for not much $'s, Many say that the older ones are better than the reissues, I can't say one way or the other. I assume that there are great ones and not so great ones from the past and present.

One tip I picked up from an old time dano player was to turn both the volumes down to about half and work a blend of the two pickups from there. Try it! Bluestrat you might be surprised!

:wave:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I don't think they're still making them either... and my DC-12 12 string Dano isn't for sale. They're cool guitars. :thu:

Amen to that...my blue metal flake DC-12 is one of my favorite and also least expensive of my guitars (at least when I bought it). The combination of the 12 string sound with those pickups is a real winner.

I had no idea they were discontinued.

Tom

http://www.digitalaudiorock.com

The Protools Plugin Preset Co-op

Originally posted by Vortex:

One tip I picked up from an old time dano player was to turn both the volumes down to about half and work a blend of the two pickups from there. Try it! Bluestrat you might be surprised!

:wave:

I've got a thing for high-output pickups, and the ones on the Dano are weak. It's like no matter what I do it still sounds clean, which doesn't work very well with distortion in my opinion.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Originally posted by tld:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I don't think they're still making them either... and my DC-12 12 string Dano isn't for sale. They're cool guitars. :thu:

Amen to that...my blue metal flake DC-12 is one of my favorite and also least expensive of my guitars (at least when I bought it). The combination of the 12 string sound with those pickups is a real winner.

I had no idea they were discontinued.

Tom

I have the blue metal flake color too. Great guitars - and a no-brainer at the $200-300 or so price point they were selling at. I have no idea what they go for these days.

I've got a thing for high-output pickups, and the ones on the Dano are weak. It's like no matter what I do it still sounds clean, which doesn't work very well with distortion in my opinion.
Man, when I see your Princeton and Magnatone amps I see a winning combo with the Dano. But that's just me.

I understand your high output pickup thing, but I wouldn't call the lipstick pickups "weak". I find you can load on as much gain as you can handle and the Dano gets down and nasty. Roll the tone back until the "tweeze" or too clean turns into "definition" and go to town. The woman tone thing with sizzle. Nasty in a good way! But that's just my twisted idea of good tone. This isn't a lecture.

The DC is a different animal than say a Les Paul or Strat it just takes some experimenting. Jimmy Page didn't use one and sound "weak"!

As of the time this message is posted, there at are least 9 Danelectro guitars on EBAY UK, mainly re-issue U2s but at least one shorthorn and a 7 string. www.ebay.co.uk - go look!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I almost bought a Dano a few times...

...but the only thing that stopped me, and that I really hated on them...was that shitty vinyl/faux-leather strip that they glued to the sides of the bodies.

On every new one I ever looked in the stores...that vinyl/faux-leather strip was always coming unglued and it look so friggin's cheap!!!

But over all...they had a very cool vibe to them.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by miroslav:

I almost bought a Dano a few times...

...but the only thing that stopped me, and that I really hated on them...was that shitty vinyl/faux-leather strip that they glued to the sides of the bodies.

On every new one I ever looked in the stores...that vinyl/faux-leather strip was always coming unglued and it look so friggin's cheap!!!

But over all...they had a very cool vibe to them.

That "faux leather" was actually tolex, like that used on many guitar and bass amplifier cabinets. ;) Of course, it's not as resiliant as a single edge strip.

:P

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Jerry Jones makes improved Danelectro instruments. I have a bass made by JJ and it totally rocks. This is my main instrument. Gotoh tuners and bridge on a masonite hollow body. I also own a re-issue Dano baritone and an original 64 Bass. the 64 has a great vibe but the design has many dead spots and does not get played live as a result. I really like his refinements to a classic design. Jerry Jones Web Site

P.S. You can buy a Jerry Jones instrument from a dealer cheaper than buying direct. Boston Guitars is a dealer but there are others

http://www.themayocks.com

Hear The Mayocks on Rhapsody and Itunes

Originally posted by Dilligan:

I had a Dano Convertible model just like this one a few years back. It had cool jangly tone, but it was impossible to intonate so I sold it. The pickup was pretty much useless, so I would just play it unplugged around the hizzous.

That's one of the great things about the DC-12. The bridge actually has 12 saddles. My intonation wasn't too good from the factory, but I was able to get it perfect. It tunes easier than any other 12 string I ever had to tune.

Tom

http://www.digitalaudiorock.com

The Protools Plugin Preset Co-op

Originally posted by Vortex:

Man, when I see your Princeton and Magnatone amps I see a winning combo with the Dano. But that's just me.

I understand your high output pickup thing, but I wouldn't call the lipstick pickups "weak". I find you can load on as much gain as you can handle and the Dano gets down and nasty. Roll the tone back until the "tweeze" or too clean turns into "definition" and go to town. The woman tone thing with sizzle. Nasty in a good way! But that's just my twisted idea of good tone. This isn't a lecture.

The DC is a different animal than say a Les Paul or Strat it just takes some experimenting. Jimmy Page didn't use one and sound "weak"!

When I first got the 59-DC I had a Peavey Rage 158, which was a good match if you wanted that raunchy Creedence Clearwater fuzz distortion. It worked good for electric blues too. :) The Princeton and the Magnatone work great with the Dano too, but the Dano can't really overdrive them without a booster of some sort.

When I said "weak", I meant that the output of the pickups are low. The DC resistance is only about 4k, as compared to the 8k of a Strat or Les Paul pickup. The Dano won't overdrive a non-master volume amp like the hotter pickups will. The Duncan Invader in my Del Rey will start to overdrive the Princeton when the volume is on 3, the Dano takes a lot more volume, say around 8.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

• 1 month later...
I was at NAMM and saw the new Danos. It didn't go over and play them. They don't have the white tape around the side and they were shaped like the DC2. They looked sort of plain without the tape. I'd surprised if they really are much different than the first reissues that were the Pro model.

Home of the L.A. Line 6 Users Group

http://www.instituteofnoise.com

Archived