Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Info On Pickups

Jedro

Anyone here a "pickup guru"? I'm thinking about swapping out my Lace Sensors for something different. Only thing, you can't try 'em out before you buy 'em (although, I think someone once put out a system that you could pop in different pickups easily, maybe it was Seymour Duncan).

So here's what I've got going. My guitar is a 1983 Zion strat. It's an alder body with rosewood fretboard. And a Floyd Rose. My current pickup config is 1 humbucker and 2 single coils. I'd like to stay with that.

The best word to describe the tone I'm going for is "open". Not massive gain, not too much sizzle on the high end. Maybe more focused on the low-mids rather than upper-mids. I also use Boogie amps, if that means anything.

I've researched through Seymour Duncan's website and have come up with what I think would be good choices if I went with the Duncans. I just don't want to limit my field of research to only one brand of pickup.

So what pickups are you guys using, and are you satisfied with them? Any info is appreciated.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my pacifica has 2 vintage staggered singles and a bridge position '59 humbucker. i like the '59 because of the balanced and not over hyped response. as for single coils i like what i have but i don't know if you would dig the single coils. they are vintage type, bright but not hurtfull. i am sure you will get alot of response suggesting a JB in the bridge. alot of people love the JB.

i can't say how these would sound to you, your guitar has alot to do with the sound.

Read Kinman's and Lawrence's sites - the stuff on tone, the various pickups/sets. Even if you don't go with them (I think the Kinmans are the best single coils around - with Bill Lawrence being a good choice too), the info on both sites is some of the most illustrative around and is going to be of great value.

Seymour Duncans are really nice pick-ups but everybody and every guitar brand us em

some really nice sweet pickups are Lindy Fralin they sound prety close to what you are looking for, also some killer bad ass pickups for clarity and focus Joe Barden, and if you want some smokin pickups Rio Grande check there web sites and also chack reviews for them on harmony-central, good luck gettin pickups and sweeting up your tone will be like gettin a new girl friend youll be wearin your ax-out

I changed out my Lace Sensors (which I hated) with a set of Kinman FV-HMS pups. These are the Hank Marvin Modern Fat Tone set which are hotter than their AVn Blues set and provide fatter and ballsier tone, but still with good highs with no shrill. These were pricey at $275 a set of 3 but the tone is great.

I would also not hesitate to try the much more affordable Bill Lawrence pups. I suggest you phone Bill and I'm sure he can give you good advice on what pups he has to fill your needs.

Archived