Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audience Recordings!

hey everybody, im new here as u can probably tell, but i was wondering if any of you could help me out. heres my question(s): i have a lot of old audience recordings of live shows, what can i do to make them sound better? lets assume that these are audience recordings and not like a soundboad dat. i read an article on the site about mastering, but i was wondering if you would treat such recordings differently.... thanx for your help

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by shylow: [b]i have a lot of old audience recordings of live shows, what can i do to make them sound better? [/b][/quote] I've found that a BBE Sonic Maximizer does a good job of restoring clarity & definition to those sort of recordings (its best use IMHO). I have one in my home stereo system for exactly that purpose. It won't help with tape hiss, though. That's the cheap (3-figure) solution. There are also expensive (5-figure) ones that I have no experience with.

What kind of equipment do you have? Reel to reel, cassette, cd? Your best bet would probably be to purchase a stereo DAW for your computer. Noise reduction is a godsend for old hissy tapes. You can also compress and eq if necessary. You'll also want to spend as much as you can afford on a high quality stereo analog to digital converter to get the music into your computer. Then a cd burner to create the final product. Jason

Archived