Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about 1970's ACOUSTIC Amp

GreggTL

Does anybody know which model of ACOUSTIC Amp (circa early 1970's) was the one which was kinda tall, like their bass amp, but had an acoustic HORN which maybe looked like a bass port, which was situated up above the speaker? I'm very appreciative if you know the model #.

Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, yes, an Acoustic 150.

I had the head and the horn, but not the cab. I got a pair of EVM 12-L SROs for my high school graduation and played that amp all summer. I remember an outdoor gig where the neighbors came from miles around to tell us how loud and bad we were.

I still have the EVMs, but the head was stolen by my roomate to buy drugs. If anyone knows where Funky Al ended up, I'm still huntin' for him.

A keyboard player I occasionally jam with has the Acoustic cab w/2x15's and the Screaming Banshee horn. The amp head is SS and has all the sonic problems associated with SS. Guitarwise, nah! Fender Rhodes Electric Piano-Grrreattt!! The Doors used them the one time I saw them at Vancouver's Pacific Collisseum. They used them for the PA as well. Talk about a lousy sound. No bottom end, They sounded like a loud 6 Transistor radio.

Terry Cath, the guitarist w/Chicago used an Acoustic with a 6x10 cab and got a good sound out of it with his old SG/LP Custom(I think it was)

They just never caught on. Like all big SS amps, in the arena at full blast, they just don't cut it. Transistors are too digital and cold, tubes are warm and inviting. Get the marsh(all) mellows.

's mel gibson,

... Transistors are too digital and cold, tubes are warm and inviting.
I must respecfully disagree.

Maybe in a big arena it might be true, but in a small venue I always thought that my Roland JC-55 was nearly perfect (1972 Martin D-18 w/ Seymour Duncan in-hole SA-1 pickup), imho.

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Archived