Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT:scott peterson

Gifthorse

Does anyone give a shit about this trial? I am SOO sick of hearing about it. You would think it was the trial of Osama Bin Laden. So many people get killed and abducted in this country, why has this trial been so documented? It is a slap in the face of all the people who have lost loved ones where the trial went unnoticed.

It isn't like this asshole is a star. I mean at least O.J. had an excuse to be in the spotlight. I don't get it. What is the media fixation with THIS case?

My buddy's sister's boyfriend killed her best friend and her Mom to get even with her and it was BARELY covered in the media---thank GOD.

It is like they decided to make Peterson a STAR.

WHY? It is pathetic.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sean Eldon:

this case was big in the media because he killed an unborn baby. simple as that.

Sad commentary on the news media :cry:

It is pathetic.
Even more so considering the reason above :freak:
Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

The case made front pages here in Canada too. I can't say I cared much about the case myself, but speaking as an ink-stained wretch, I have no problem deducing why the trial received the coverage it did.

Apart from the timeless editorial judgment "If it bleeds, it leads", I seem to recall their was some cackle when the case began that the murderer might face charges for killing not only the mother but the unborn child, which launched a brief debate about a possible future impact on the legal debate over abortion ... (I don't think anything came of it though).

There was the mystery around Laci Peterson's original disappearance as well, which piqued people's curiosity, particularly since it seemed she had either fled a loving marriage or been kidnapped.

Many people have an ongoing interest with other people's private lives - and the greater the dichotomy between the pleasant surface (happily married, wife pregnant with child) and the sordid underbelly (actually has a mistress on the side, marriage ends in murder ...), the greater the interest.

There's also pecuniary concerns. I wouldn't say the media decided to make Peterson a star, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the case would sell newspapers by the bucketload.

November is also one of the four months where Neilsen ratings are tabulated; the resulting calculations determine how much TV stations charge for advertising, and murder trials grab viewership -- as does fictional crime drama; witness CSI and its spinoffs. (It doesn't hurt that trials are cheap - you don't have to pay the actors, the special effects budget is pretty small ... heck, you don't even have to hire a scriptwriter, though with the state of television being what it is I'm not sure they do that anyway.)

It is sad that people are dead. It is also sad that they are going to kill another, most likely, when they sentance him. I do not judge the situation ether way. I am just sad that people kill each other at all. Of course, it is hard not to watch a train wreck when it is right in front of you. Not many would look away.

Why is the Scott Peterson case so media worthy? I

Like if there was the worst band in the world the media could decide whether you liked it by giving mass esposure to it.

I believe you could record seagulls with farts and if you marketed it right, it could be a hit.

OK, not really but what about a band like Godsmack?

yup, never heard of the fellow.

I think here in the uk, If a murder has taken place, it will be reported on the news. They are hardly ever glossed over by the media.. sure they handle different stories in different ways.. but generally things are reported , rather than sensationalised.

when it comes to child killers/rapists, give them the exposure.. then someone might sort out what the system can't. (we don't have death penalty)

I don't think i really mean that, but i don't think iv'e ever felt sorry if i've heard one's been killed by their inmate in jail.

:evil: this OT is heavy. :evil:

I heard a reporter one of the network news programs yesterday that said an anti-crime group with big media connections (One of those two-name affairs, "Something-Compton" or "Compton-Something") promoted all the network attention, and when they got into it, they saw it had the potential to be a big story, big as the OJ trial. And the one thing the media can't ignore is a big story; too much money to be made, too much chance of making a career out of it.

What I think is sad is that Peterson was found guilty on circumstantial evidence, rather than hard evidence that he commited the murder.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

i read something somewhere that said:

the reason this story got such huge media saturation was that when the story broke there was like a 3min. window where nothing newsworthy broke nationally and so *everybody* in the media just reported it and it took off...nothing to do w/ notoriety or heinousness or anything else, it just happened while nothing else in that nanosecond was being reported.

s

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Originally posted by stanner:

i read something somewhere that said:

the reason this story got such huge media saturation was that when the story broke there was like a 3min. window where nothing newsworthy broke nationally and so *everybody* in the media just reported it and it took off...nothing to do w/ notoriety or heinousness or anything else, it just happened while nothing else in that nanosecond was being reported.

s

I believe this was part of it, coupled with the fact that they were a very attractive white couple, she was pregnant and he was philandering on her. It didn't hurt that they were also from southern Cal which seems to be the tabloind news capital of the US.

Sad story.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Noodlesbad:

...There was the mystery around Laci Peterson's original disappearance as well, which piqued people's curiosity, particularly since it seemed she had either fled a loving marriage or been kidnapped...

This was the catalyst for everything that followed. Remember, this began as a missing person case.

Then, Scott Peterson's behavior, inconsistant with a husband worried about his missing wife and unborn baby, prompted a closer look by the authorities. (He changed his whole look including hair color and shaving his moustache off and tried to sell his home, IIRC.) As far as criminals go, Scott Peterson wasn't particularly intelligent.

So a simple, yet compelling piece on a missing pregnant woman blossomed into a tale of infidelity, murder, a really odd attempt by Peterson to hide his involvement, and the obligatory, prolonged prosectution.

That's why it made headlines, but I just wish court cases would stay out of the press until after the case has been decided. Talk about a pipe dream. :rolleyes:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Guitar Geezer:

So have they started filming the mini-series yet?

:rolleyes::evil:

Sorry, but they already did this in February of this year. Do a search for "Dean Cain as Scott Peterson". He's the guy who played Superman on the "Lois & Clark" series. It seems pretty pathetic. Here's one link:

http://www.courttv.com/people/2003/1031/deancain_ap.html

Paul

Archived