Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any lefty players?

tele9001

This discussion comes up from time to time and it never seems to get resolved. None of us (that I know of, anyway) is left handed by choice - it just happens. Also factor in that everybody is different, so that we get a bunch of variables involved. No doubt there are left handers who learn to play right handed, just like they may learn to throw a ball right handed. It's possible if they did this that they'd be very good at it, but possibly not as good if they'd done it left handed. It's also possible they'd do it better right handed - who knows? Myself, I could probably play right handed but it just would never feel right, you know? How do I know? I tried it! I doubt I could learn to throw right handed either, at least not as well as left handed. The thing is, why force yourself to do something that doesn't feel natural? It'd be different if there were no left handed instruments in existence, but there are! Seems every time I get into these discussions I piss somebody off, but I sure don't mean to., You'll note I didn't mention "throw like a girl" in this reply. Oops, just did! That'll get 'em going. Let's all live in peace and harmony, shall we?
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Originally posted by Chris_C:

Advantage: I would think it better to have your fret hand as the more co-ordinated hand.

in fact, why is convention the way it is?

Yeah I've always wondered that myself. It seems TOTALLY natural to me to have my stronger hand be the fretting hand, I've never understood why righties don't want to play the other way. :D

But I'm glad it worked out that way cuz it would suck trying to find lefty vintage model guitars. Unless I pulled a Bobby Womack and learned to play upside down.

Totally! :thu: what you said!!

Although i was ignorant to this fact about Bobby Womack!? ..like hanging from his feet, really? wow, that is impressive.

Archived