Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any lefty players?

tele9001

Hi!

Just wondering if there are any other southpaw players on the forum. I'd love to hear about your axes (rarer and/or stranger the better). We could also commiserate about the fact that when we walk into the average guitar shop, we're lucky to have ONE to try....heehehee...

have a nice day

tele

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um - sorta. I'm a righty who plays lefty since an injury in 1980 (after 15 years of playing righty) forced me to relearn to play lefty.

There ARE very few quality lefty guitars. And most of those are black or sunburst. I have a righty Deluxe Powerhouse Strat, strung lefty, which I bought promarily because it's Lake Placid Blue...

Ibanez is putting out some lefty Artcores. I saw one that's like a double-cutaway, semi-hollow Les Paul. Very nice, and only about 500 bucks.

One of the guitarists I play gigs with is. He plays left, a mexi or squire strat, and a couple of Carvins, who are real good about making lefties - I think pretty much any of theirs is available that way NC. He can also get around a little as an upsidedowner - especially on a four string bass!

I have trouble distinguishing between left and right. I have to think ring finger or throwing hand. So you say you pick with your ring finger hand and fret with your throwing hand?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I have a dear friend, great guitarist and very well trained musician but a sort of "lone wolf" recently...he never partecipated to any forum, but I had him at my place for a couple of months, because of his moving back to Paris, after 30 years spent in Italy. He's a great lefty player, was amongst the founders of the famous french group Magma, but for particular circumstances (kids, well payed job in Italy as session man) he left them before they became a major band.

Currently he parked his equipment in my house:

1 '64 Super Reverb

1 Twin with JBL

1 '60s Gretch Country Gentleman

1 3-pickup/vibrola Gibson SG ('60's)

1 self built Strat (lefty) with mahogany body and ebony fretboard, with original vintage Fender singles, with push-pull switches for Bridge in series adding and Neck phase inversion. (I have the same mod on my strat)

1 Glassmaster lefty strat with Bill Lawrence humbucker at bridge and a temporary DiMarzio humbucker at Neck, no mid.

1 original set of late 50's telecaster p.ups mounted on a self cut light wood body (it was temporary, but it sounds so good that it's still there, despite the fact that the body slightly curved itself at the sides...should be replaced with alder soon) and an uncertain neck...this guitar has a sound that can't be believed!

1 lefty original 60's Fender Precision bass.

1 lefty Epiphone Les Paul, given him by a shop instead of some money he had to get back, it was a good deal, but needs some original pafs...it has a decent sound but not that paf sound we know...

If I was lefty too......all that stuff here...

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

I'm a lefty. I haven't been playing as long as many others on this fine board, but I learned pretty quickly that walking into any guitar store is a pretty useless exercise for a lefty unless you need a pedal or some strings. It's the internet all the way - making sure there is a solid return policy, of course.

My gear at the moment is exclusively from Rondo Music, which always has plenty of leftys:

Agile Cool Cat Hollowbody with TV Jones pick ups

Agile 820 Semi-hollowbody (Gibson 335 clone)

Agile 2500 (LP copy) with Gibson pick ups

Agile 2500 (LP copy) Goldtop with P-90's

I am currently searching for an acoustic (not from Rondo), and am toying with buying righty and converting it. Almost had a Gretsch Rancher on e-bay the other day but got outbid with a mili-second to go...grrrrr.

John

Originally posted by Phait:

Originally posted by Tedster:

I'm pretty sure Phait plays southpaw..

Ya dern' tootin'!

http://www.thecarbonflaw.com/1.jpg

It's a 1997 Fender Strat, Mexican made. More pics here: http://www.thecarbonflaw.com/gear/

Hey Phait, yer holdin yer guitar backwards.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Lefty who plays righty.

I write with my left. (Though I'm better than most at writing with my "weak" hand. ;) )

Throw baseball/football, shoot basketball leading with my left hand.

But I bat righty and swing a golf club righty. (Rarely! Mostly miniature golf, too. ;) )

Throw frisbee either way, but better righty.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

There is nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo way I can play right-handed. It's like trying to wipe your ass with your foot! When I started 8 years ago (sheesh that long ago already...), it was suggested to learn right-handed, because there were so many other options out there for yous' folks :mad: - but no, I stayed left-handed.

Hey Chad, I'm not good at negotiating prices down but I sort of felt when I was there that it could be done. I thought they were really decent people, but I've not had any problems with instruments our anything from them. I'm sorry to hear that you did, because as left shops go that is the biggest I've seen. I sat there and played one acoustic for at least 20 minutes and eventually bought it. They didn't pressure me or do any of the crap I get in just about every shop I've been in.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Lefty who plays righty.

I write with my left. (Though I'm better than most at writing with my "weak" hand. ;) )

Throw baseball/football, shoot basketball leading with my left hand.

But I bat righty and swing a golf club righty. (Rarely! Mostly miniature golf, too. ;) )

Throw frisbee either way, but better righty.

same for me.. I write and play pool with left hand.. and throw things, hit things and play guitar right handed. (whenever i see someone play 'lefty', i can't help but think how ridiculous it looks. )

Drawback: I'm always loosing my watch. since its on the wrong hand, i have to take it off whenever i play guitar, or the things clangs against it.

Advantage: I would think it better to have your fret hand as the more co-ordinated hand.

in fact, why is convention the way it is?

Another lefty present and accounted for. Definitely sucks having, at best, one guitar to choose from! Could be worse, could be a left handed player in Bagdad. Anyway, I have two strats, a MIM that I upgraded with better p/ups, and an American deluxe that just blows the other out of the water. Carvin and Warmoth are good sources if you want to build your own. Gibson is really the one major player who doesn't make many lefty axes.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

I wouldn't have had you down as a lefty Lefty.

:D

Originally posted by LeftyBlues:

Gibson is really the one major player who doesn't make many lefty axes.

Yeah, that is strange..

maybe an SG would be the same either way, they're soooo symmetrical.

apart from the knobs.. and the lead socket. Oh and the string grooves. But apart from that they could be a hit! :thu:

Not too long ago I had a post here about a double neck lefty SG on ebay! It was over the pond, GB I think, veddy expensive, but neat to know that it existed. Lefty Epiphones are pretty common, come to think of it, I'd love a dot, or Caino, or....
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Originally posted by LeftyBlues:

...Gibson is really the one major player who doesn't make many lefty axes.

This isn't exactly true. Gibson, when I was there in late 2001, made quite a few lefty instruments. But sales of lefty instruments were so few as to make it a big risk to make extended runs or many models as lefty instruments.

Additionally, for better or worse Gibson is very cozy with Southpaw Guitars. Southpaw orders special order runs of some Gibson models otherwise unavailable as lefty instruments. If you want a lefty Gibson the Gibby website says isn't available in a lefty configuration you should check with Southpaw before giving up.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I think people play as to which side is most comfortable. One would think having their strong hand to do the fretting would help, but, in fact, for most, I'd reckon it's the rhythm hand that's the answer.

BTW...interesting factoid, especially for any country aficionados. "Lefty" Frizzell was right handed! He got the nickname "Lefty" from his mean left hook..that helped him out during his bar-playing years. I just found that out.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Chris_C:

Advantage: I would think it better to have your fret hand as the more co-ordinated hand.

in fact, why is convention the way it is?

Yeah I've always wondered that myself. It seems TOTALLY natural to me to have my stronger hand be the fretting hand, I've never understood why righties don't want to play the other way. :D

But I'm glad it worked out that way cuz it would suck trying to find lefty vintage model guitars. Unless I pulled a Bobby Womack and learned to play upside down.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Well, I'm a lefty - but I play righty, so I can't commiserate. :D

Me, too.

The whole idea is wierd to me. I mean, do we have left handed cars? Lefties seem to be able to get through doors okay. Left handed computers? Left handed pianos? I learned to play a guitar the way it was handed to me. I don't think that it is a left/right issue. If it is, I should be a better player than I am, since my left hand is on the neck, where all the hard stuff happens. :eek:

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by Chris_C:

why is convention the way it is?

Two contributing factors:

Coriolis Force (or Effect): tendency for any moving body on the earth's surface to drift sideways from its course because of the earth's rotation. In the Northern Hemisphere the deflection is to the right.

Also, for lefties who play righty, the amniotic fluid circulated counter-clockwise while their mothers were pregnant.

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Archived