Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What a great night... and post 8000

fantasticsound

Well... I was sitting on post 7999. Just waiting to see how long it would be before anyone mentioned how close I was. But this was too cool to pass up mentioning.

My company produced the past three ASCAP Country Music Awards shows, including tonight's festivities. My job does not afford me the chance to attend.... but... I offered my services, volunteered actually, to take pictures for the company. My friend and producer of the show obliged. :thu:

This was special because Emmylou Harris was being given the ASCAP Founders Award. This included a three song performance by Emmylou and an extraordinary reunion of the original members of her legendary Hot Band, including James Burton (electric guitar), Rodney Crowell (acoustic guitar), Hank DeVito (steel guitar), Emory Gordy, Jr. (bass), Glen D. Hardin (piano), and John Ware (drums).

I took a few pics at soundcheck before they pushed me to the back of the room until showtime.

It was a great night with standout performances by Neil Thrasher who wrote, There Goes My Life for Kenny Chesney and two other hits this year. He was co-songwriter of the year and his voice is fantastic.

The second half of the show began with Emmylou and the Hot Band kicking off the festivities. The were incredible on Blue Las Vegas and two other songs. I had a great time. AND, I sat just offstage with 5 or 6 professional photographers. Me with my little Nikon 775, digital snapshot and my Chinon CM-4 film SLR with a 125mm lens next these pros and their $3,000 - $6,000 digital outfits with 300mm+ lenses. I had a blast shooting next to them with my antique and my near obsolete digital. So what? I got my shots.

It was one amazing night that ended on a high note. As I was leaving, James Burton's son stopped me to ask for a contact so his dad could get copies of some good shots. This led to a short conversation with Mr. Burton who generously shook my hand as they got into their car to the airport. Wow!

I don't often gush over "brushes with greatness", but I'm a bit stunned over meeting James Burton and being privy to such a unique, mini-concert.

I don't mean to brag. I wish I could just bring all you guys back tot he beginning of the show and let you see it for youselves. But that ain't gonna happnen. :(

Anyway, I know several posters have expressed a deep love of Emmyloug Harris' songs and I just wanted to offer up my personal experience being involved with this event.

I wish I could tell you I'll post pics, but I need to make certain not to cause trouble at work with our client, ASCAP.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.

Let me say...there is absolutely nothing about Emmylou I'm NOT in love with... :love: She's coming to Kansas City next week!!! Slobber, drool...

Congrats on your 8000 posts, too! I was wondering why you hadn't been on for a day or two. Didn't notice the 7999...sorry!

Meeting James Burton. Wow...way cool, Neil!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

That's terrific, Neil, and no, it's not bragging at all. Thanks for sharing. I had the great fortune to tour with Emmylou and the Hot Band in '95, as Truck Driver/spot op for 4 weeks in Europe. The legendary Phil Kaufmann was looking after her - boy has HE got some stories. In the band was Rodney Crowell (a great artist in his own right), Glenn.D.Hardin, and, sitting in for James Burton ( ;) ) Albert Lee. The bass player was Michael Rhodes, who was instrumental in me retiring from road duties immediately after this tour and taking up my first love again - bass! (although he doesn't know it!). It was a great tour, and Emmylou was everything I hoped she'd be. She's probably my favourite artist of all time.

Big Hat. No Cattle.

http://www.theshrinks.com/

Originally posted by lakeside studios:

The legendary Phil Kaufmann was looking after her - boy has HE got some stories.

Has anybody here seen the new movie "Grand Theft Parsons" yet? It's about the true story of Phil Kaufman stealing the body of Gram Parsons and cremating it in the desert per a pact the two of them had made previously. I just saw it yesterday, and it's bloody hysterical.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Very cool, Neil. I know James, I've seen him play a hundred times. His son's name is Jeff and man, can he play (lead guitar). I hope Jeff is doing well. He got burned out, quit music, then last I heard about year ago, he was back playing again, this time with some kind of Nashville connection. Maybe he's touring with someone.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by picker:

Originally posted by lakeside studios:

The legendary Phil Kaufmann was looking after her - boy has HE got some stories.

Has anybody here seen the new movie "Grand Theft Parsons" yet? It's about the true story of Phil Kaufman stealing the body of Gram Parsons and cremating it in the desert per a pact the two of them had made previously. I just saw it yesterday, and it's bloody hysterical.

no i haven't. that sounds like a great one to see.

Neil, congrats on 8000 posts. You are definitely one of the high "signal to noise" posters.

Regarding the gig with Emmy. Might I be the first to say "Aaaaaaaaaaaacccckkkkk". Between her penchant for assembling the finest musicians around for her bands, and her creative drive over a thirty year period, she's tops in my book.

You were certainly in the right place at the right time for this one. :thu:

BTW.... if a pic of Emmy ended up in my inbox it sure wouldn't go any farther than my desktop.

:D

Thanks, guys.

It was extra special because the woman in charge of the ASCAP board (and they made it clear several times that ASCAP is the only U.S. mechanical rights organiztion in which any member can run for board membership) made a wonderful keynote speech and presentation to Emmylou. That would be legendary songwriter, Marilyn Bergman (no relation).

I have to edit some pics today and I'll see what I can post.

Lakeside Studios - Sounds like you had one heck of a tour. Too say that Albert Lee is an acceptable replacement for James Burton is truly an understatement. Both men are fantastic players and gentlemen, to boot.

K - Now that is one.. weird.. comparison. James Burton and Gene Simmons. :D Unfortunately, it wasn't a situation in which I could ask for a pic of me with James. Doh!

One other note. I don't know that many of you will recognize the name, Jimmy Wayne, but he's a rising star on the Country Music scene.

In 2000 I was a house mixer for an historic, hole-in-the-wall pub called The Sutler, here in Nashville. One night I mixed a benefit for a private animal shelter and Jimmy Wayne Barber was a songwriter in the line-up. He had a hit song recorded by Tracy Byrd (Put Your Hand In Mine). His performance was great. Three songs. The hit, a mid-tempo ballad called From Your Heart To Here, and a cover of Sara Smile by Hall & Oates.

After he nailed these songs, I complemented him for the songs and his singing. I remember saying I wished he'd had the opportunity to release "Put Your Hand In Mine" himself, as he sung it much better than Tracy Byrd. He was appreciative, seemed to wander into his own world just a bit, grumbling about how he seemed to be knocking his head against the wall trying to convince a label to back him as an artist.

A little more than a year ago I began to hear the name, Jimmy Wayne, on Country radio, etc. Even when I saw him it was difficult to recognize if this was the same guy because they did a complete makeover before releasing his record.

So last night he picks up several awards for his current songs and, as he was seated near where we were camped out on the floor to shoot pics, I took a moment to walk over and say, "My name is Neil Bergman and I worked with you on a benefit a few years ago at the Sutler. At the time you were upset nobody recognized you as an artist. Well.. now they know. Congratulations." ;)

I could see a glimmer of memory as he thanked me. It was neat to have the opportunity to relay my good wishes to him. Of course, if I'd had more time I'd have kicked him in the shins for not recording, "From Your Heart To Here" on his debut album. :D

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Neil, congrats on the 8K but more so on the chance to see that gig.

Emmylou is my favorite all time female vocalist & the one I would love to meet and sing with.

I don't normally fall over myself meeting big name people but I think I stumble & mutter & end up looking stupid as hell.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Oh, forgot to mention I was on Lower Broad(way) in downtown Nashville at 5:45am last Friday to bring Lilly to the Shania Twain Block Party concert. Diane Sawyer and Robin ? (The news woman) hosted parts of Good Morning America from Lower Broad.

Lilly had a great time, despite freezing a bit. ;) And whatever I might think of auto-tune, lip-syncing, etc... Shania is certainly easy on the eyes. ;)

It seems pretty weird since I haven't crewed a concert in some time.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

My definition of heaven would be having Emmylou sing me to sleep every night. Ahhhhhh...(drifts off into lala land).

And, Kendrix...yeah, Emmylou gets lumped in the "Country" category, but in reality, I'd have to say she fits better into the catchall "Americana" category. Which is to say, yeah, Country, but she's so much more than that.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

My definition of heaven would be having Emmylou sing me to sleep every night. Ahhhhhh...(drifts off into lala land).

And, Kendrix...yeah, Emmylou gets lumped in the "Country" category, but in reality, I'd have to say she fits better into the catchall "Americana" category. Which is to say, yeah, Country, but she's so much more than that.

I saw a show on PBS about the making of her "Wrecking Ball" album:

Interviewer: Is this Country Music?

Emmylou: Well, we're in a country...

'Bout sums it up.

Archived