Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reminder, Clapton's Crossroads...

Compact Diss

From PBS

ERIC CLAPTON'S CROSSROADS GUITAR FESTIVAL

In the summer of 2004, a spectacular gathering of musicians from across the guitar world performed together on one concert stage, as the culminating event of Eric Clapton's three-day Crossroads Guitar Festival in Dallas. GREAT PERFORMANCES presents highlights from the all-day concert at the Cotton Bowl featuring a once-in-a-lifetime showcase of guitar luminaries performing rock anthems, blues classics, and jazz improvisations. Joining Clapton are fellow axe legends Carlos Santana, Joe Walsh, and J. J. Cale; bluesmen Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, B. B. King, Hubert Sumlin, and Jimmie Vaughan; Pat Metheny and John McLaughlin from the jazz world; as well as James Taylor, country superstar Vince Gill, bluegrass player Dan Tyminski from Allison Krauss' band Union Station, and young star John Mayer. Highlights include renditions of classics like "After Midnight" and "Layla," as well as recent hits like Mayer's "City Love."

Watch for the launch of the Web companion on Wednesday, November 24, 2004.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Particularly relevant given the recently revitalized "Dealing with our Clapton issues" thread.

Say what you want (and a lot has been), but there's no denying that Clapton has been one of the most influential guitar players in the history of rock and roll. Often sublime, generally outstanding, and sometimes mediocre, he has a natural talent and feel for the guitar that is nothing short of inspirational. Add to that his modesty and willingness to let others shine, and this DVD should be nothing short of phenomenal.

And check out the Concert for George DVD if there's any doubt about his ability to still play with passion. There are a ton of faster and more technical players, but when Clapton's on, there's no one better at conveying emotion with a guitar. Well, electric guitar, anyway.

WaterMan,

There are a ton of faster and more technical players, but when Clapton's on, there's no one better at conveying emotion with a guitar.
Amen, and pass the geetar to Slow Hands :cool:

Also a good point about allowing others to shine too. Hard to find among the *stars* :cool:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

but when Clapton's on, there's no one better at conveying emotion with a guitar.
I dunno. A lot of players have really perfected the wah-wah face and the "tortured whammy bar" move.

But seriously. You must not be listening to many people, or seeing them. Because there are a lot of people who are 100% committed and connected during the majority of their performance(s). Let's not get too carried away with the hero worship legends. There's a lot worth checking out and supporting from all over the guitar map.

Originally posted by greenboy:

but when Clapton's on, there's no one better at conveying emotion with a guitar.
There's a lot worth checking out and supporting from all over the guitar map.
Well, we agree on this point.

And yes, there are a lot of guitarists connected to their performances. My point, however, is that Clapton has a unique gift that has not always been appreciated (or recognized) by those that worship technique and flash over the art of style and substance -- and for me, at least, musical style and substance translate to connecting with the subtlety and nuance of emotions that we experience in other aspects of life.

Music appreciation, after all is said and done, is about that connection. And it's the range of connection that separates the gifted from the rest.

Like I said, I've heard tons of guitarists that are not about obvious technique or flash that just connect. So i can't feel Clapton is special in that regard, like I might have when I was a kid.

On the other hand, I've heard some fairly complex players who seem to walk with depth and intensity since then, too. So I just don't think he's all that unique in either regard. He's a great guitarist, but he's not all that.

He's a guy that plays guitar and who's been involved in some pretty big things. At one time I thought they were bigger than they look now. Maybe it's the type of rear view mirror I'm using, but the things close by sem more interesting.

He's a guy that plays guitar and who's been involved in some pretty big things. At one time I thought they were bigger than they look now. Maybe it's the type of rear view mirror I'm using, but the things close by sem more interesting.

I remember a show I was watching and he talked

about an album cover were it said Clapton is

God,but at the bottom of the album there was

a dog peeing on the Clapton is God,and he

said that pretty much sums it up.We make our

hero's and then knock em down.He's just a guy

that loves to play the guitar,he never claimed

to be a guitar God, we did.In my book Clapton

has a great spirit,and will always be one of

my favorites.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

• 2 weeks later...

Diss, thanks for the reminder. I'll put it on my calender :rolleyes:

DARKLAVA,

... he never claimed to be a guitar God, we did.
This is the point that many people fail to understand :cool:

He is what he is, and that's pretty damned good imho :thu:

He hasn't changed, we have :o

[edit] Diss, did I miss the link?

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

• 2 weeks later...

No trying to start a ruckus, here. Clapton is one of my favorites from long ago, although I've found other favorites that I appreciate more than EC.

I don't know about Clapton thinking he's a guitar god, but I was recently reading an interview where he said he tries to be a "Guitar Hero" simply because "it's something to strive for". And on a trip to Africa he had to fill some papers out and listed his occupation as "Legend".

I think of Clapton as a brand name. He's like the Kraft of guitar players. Some people just prefer Velveeta.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Yeah, I just got a call that I was missing that show. Who here could possibly complain about a summit of some of the best pickers around getting together and putting on a great show.

Works for me... :D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Seen it last night,great show,need to get the DvD.

Eric still got it as far as I'm concerned.He

seems to hold back at times,but if you challenge him,he rises to the occasion.

John Mayer,man I don't care what anybody say's

this guy is a good guitar player,he needs to do

a guitar oriented album.Vince Gill smokes too,

another guy that doesn't show off but can

kick your ass.After Midnight JJ cale :thu:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I caught the first hour or so, taped the rest to see tonight. LOVED Buddy Guy doing Sweet Home Chicago with EC, Hubert Sumlin and Robert Cray (and a few others in there). I'm with Lava regarding John Mayer, I think it'd be great if he'd do a no-vocals blues cd, or let somebody else sing. He makes my wife nuts with the weird faces, and you know I just want her to be happy! :D Oh yea, Joe Walsh was awesome, takes some kahoonas to wear shoes like that!
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

I was really impressed by John Mayer too. His pop marketing angles need to be $hitcanned, and he needs to be shown as a real musician.

I thought the Buddy Guy segment was excellent too, with everyone getting into the insane 3 and 4 fret bends Buddy does.

Clapton playing "Jingo" with Santana was cool too.

The local fund raiser cut ins were brutal:

Fund Hostess: (gushing) "DID YOU KNOW, that Eric Clapton was once married to Patty Boyd, who was earlier married to George Harrison? And that was inspired by the song Layla! Fascinating!"
:freak: Eric wrote Layla, and was so inspired he stole George Harrison's wife? HAHAHAHAHA

Archived