Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So what is it?

Darklava

But its even worse when everybody admits they have some of their parents' music around for token enjoyment ; } ...It's like an afirmative action movement for records or something.

Hey man,

I dig slayer and megadeth, and i also have lots of my parent's stuff under the wing too. I can assure that it's more than just token (or tokin') enjoyment ;)

Some of us kids grew up on this stuff too, ya know ;)

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slight comic dig there, phae, that's all... But there's some grain of truth there. Practically everybody in the thread professing love for the same two or three icons? How come that love was not in evidence in any of a gazillion other posts? Hell, it's like asking for catsup in a cantina.

Slight comic dig there, phae, that's all... But there's some grain of truth there. Practically everybody in the thread professing love for the same two or three icons? How come that love was not in evidence in any of a gazillion other posts? Hell, it's like asking for catsup in a cantina.

Naw, it's all good :D

I remember in High School (this would be 1988-1992 for reference) there were a lot of kids that put on that whole post-modern hippie thing- they'd listen to stuff like Hendrix, the Beatles, the Dead, and maybe dylan. The hardcore ones had Pink Floyd's Dark Side and The Wall. They'd flash all sorts of peace signs everywhere and wear tie-dyes and bellbottoms and stuff....

You know, a really oversimplified romanticist understanding of a way of life that they were trying to recreate. No real concept about protesting wars, saving the environment, buddhism, taoism, vegetarianism, living in communes or having polyandrous marriages. Never been camping, never hitchiked anywhere, never played frisbee in a park....

well, you get the idea. I'm sure this is the same element you were referring to ;)

I was just joshing you anyways in the previous post :P

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Jim Soloway:

For the last several years I've been listening to a lot of world beat music: Brazilian fusion, Afro-pop, latin. It's all music that I have absolutely no clue how to play which allows me to listen with a lot less judgement and a lot more pure enjoyment.

You can likely pull in CBC fm from where you are and get Global Village. It's a great little exploration into worldbeat sounds and combines interviews and background to help it happen.

Back to the source as it were...

It seems strange to have to bring it to anyone's attention here but Quebec is... dare I say... a distinct society. There's music coming out of Quebec that's every bit as exciting as that coming from Europe. I'll admint... music with sub-titles does suck to listen to but it's worth a try.

It's astonishing how most if not all North America can ignore Quebec... if we can only give Celine Dion the hint. :D

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived