Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So what is it?

Darklava

We all have our favorite music we like,but is

there any other music you guys like?

Me I like big band era music,and singers like

Dean Martin,Bing,Nat God Cole.Its just something about that stuff that makes me all warm and fuzzy

inside.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always had a fondness for garage rock. and 70s hard rock, but recently I find I've been listening to a lot of Miles Davis, from Silent Way to "Live-Evil," and also picked up a copy of McLaughlin's "Devotion."

I also listen to pre-war gospel and polyphony (I'm particularly fond of The Hilliard Ensemble and Arvo Part's choral work).

There's a few for me.

I like a lot of jazz (I especially dig John Coltrane and Sonny Rollins), I'm a huge fan if celtic music (if you ever get the chance, check out Beth Patterson, or a band called The Poor Clares), and, of course there is a lot of classical that I like also (nothing like listening to Segovia playing Bach as you sit and read the Sunday paper and drink your coffee :) ).

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by Noodlesbad:

I also listen to pre-war gospel and polyphony (I'm particularly fond of The Hilliard Ensemble and Arvo Part's choral work).

Arvo Part :eek: . That guy wrote some wild stuff! :thu:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I like it all. Well, I can't really say I like something on a genre-by-genre basis. It's easier for me to say what I don't care for...but, I won't say something sucks. I'll just say I don't care for it.

What I do like is a good song...whether it's metal, basic rock, country, folk, big band, what have you. If it's a great tune, I love it.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

(nothing like listening to Segovia playing Bach as you sit and read the Sunday paper and drink your coffee :) ).

You betcha! Local public radio has 5 hours of classical every Saturday & Sunday morning.

I've been enjoying a lot of ethnic music the WERS plays in the afternoons. Click the link for webcast! 2-5 pm eastern standard time Monday-Friday :thu:

I like the music of these guys:

http://www.brakka.com/images/GGV/jimi.gif

http://www.420recordsgroup.com/images/GGV/HendrixFire.gif

Oh yeah - and this one too:

http://w1.161.telia.com/~u16118940/031231/mallow_hendrix.gif

Originally posted by greenboy:

I like the music of these guys:

http://www.brakka.com/images/GGV/jimi.gif

http://www.420recordsgroup.com/images/GGV/HendrixFire.gif

Oh yeah - and this one too:

http://w1.161.telia.com/~u16118940/031231/mallow_hendrix.gif

Wow your good. :love:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

There's so much crap and so much good stuff from every single genre and era, but I'd definitely agree with Greenboy's choice for starters.

Plus late 50's early 60's cool jazz. The good stuff from that era can be pretty transcendant.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Non-guitar oriented music that might make me suspect in the eyes of some:

Sinatra, Dean Martin, Louis Prima, Kraftwerk & Bananarama. :thu::D

There are more oddities for sure, but these are the ones that came to mind immediately.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Bing is great...just sounds so effortless and incredible phrasing.

Someone I have been listening quite a bit to lately is Louis Armstrong...his really early stuff that he recorded with the Hot Fives and Hot Sevens. Amazing.

John

There's a strange one to bring out of the closet... I grew up watching so many old musicals that it's hard to escape the reminessance brought on by hearing Bing, Nat, Dean or any of that Gershwin stuff. It was the backdrop to my life as a result of my parents age... not mine.

Our house had an intercom system thoughout (in the 60's!) so dad pumped big band, classical and show tunes through the place all the time.

He bought a reel to reel back in '68 so he didn't have to keep going back to the changer to un-jam the thing. (too many records pinching the drop clip :freak: )

..wow.. don't travel down that road very often. Sorry 'bout that.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002GA9.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

You kiddin me frank me too.I was always a Jackson

Five fan,hated Donnie Osmond.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

yeah i like the J5 as well. the only person i hated more than Donny was Jimmie!!!!!!

Thats funny :D

I think the osmonds were the first to clone,

tell me they don't all look alike.Did I say that

right?

Being a Scot, I quite like to listen to bagpipes once in a while - saw the 1000 massed pipes & drums at the Cowal games once, and the sound/noise was awsome!! But I could listen to Stephan Grapelli all day!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I go through phases, i.e. i went through a modern swing revival phase, i went through a surf guitar phase, a blues rock phase, right now i'm going through a progressive hard rock phase...

I'd say that the stuff i like that (by my definition) doesn't fit in at all are The Cardigans and Kraftwerk.

Spaghetti Western guitar stuff.

Celtic Music.

Flamenco.

Not sure how else to describe this, other than "lite jazz instrumental / elevator music / supermarket music / telephone hold music", but some of this stuff i really dig. Weird, i know.

I really really dig a lot of video game music. Legend of Zelda had some great stuff.

Breath Of Fire series is great- BoF III was chock full of the lite jazz stuff i mention above, Bof V Dragon Quarter has some hard-driving syphonic stuff that just freaking rocks.

Oh gawd, Sim City in all its incarnations.

I hate The Sims but the music is excellent- a new-1950's shopping channel type of thing, vaguely reminiscent of The Simpson's theme tune.

Music written for T.V. Commercials.

There is so much great stuff out there in some of the wierdest places.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Practically my entire collection of CDs and tapes and vinyl is the stuff your buddies didn't play at keggers through their eightrack systems with the speakers sitting on the roof.

So I figure I'm set for life.

There's a lot of stuff I like to listen to. Reggae for one... I'm a big fan of Marley and Tosh, some Jimmy Cliff, Black Uhuru, Linton Kwesai Johnson, etc.

A LOT of African music floats my boat as well, Ladysmith Black Mambazo is awesome, but I like a lot of traditional drum groups from Ghana and Nigeria in particular. Am also a HUGE KODO fan (KODO are a group of Japanese Taiko drummers). In fact nearly any drum/percussion oriented group is likely to catch my attention.

I also like a lot of early jazz, mostly 20's through 40's jazz, plus quite a bit of early blues, folk and country. And I dig the good Celtic stuff too.

Classical, I have to be in the mood and I'm picky about it, but the stuff I like, I like a lot. Chopin is probably my fave. Same thing with musicals only more so... there are a few musicals I LOVE but most of them I can't stand. :D

I also like a lot of 60's and 70's funk like the Meters, Parliament, etc. Stax and Motown R&B. I guess I just like a lot of stuff, even though Brit Invasion oriented rock and pop is my big thang.

Got tons of all that. And when I start a thread about some of the artists or styles, or someone else does, everybody wants to talk about Slayer or Megadeath. Damn. I hate it when that happens ; }

But its even worse when everybody admits they have some of their parents' music around for token enjoyment ; } ...It's like an afirmative action movement for records or something.

Archived