Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hit the road, Jack

LiveMusic

Saw a gal play a coffeehouse last weekend. She was going to play a gig next night in Louisiana, then head for New Mexico for a couple, then to Arizone for a couple, then backtrack and play a few more. Heckuva lot of driving. Alone. She likes that.

Artists who I like, I watch where they tour and I keep the names of clubs they play. Other than assembling them like that and contacting these venues and send a press kit, how would you find out where to play, say, if you wanted to go see Aunt Sally in California and play SOLO guitar gigs along the way? Well, I guess an agent would do that but I don't have one.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tedster:

You may want to drop this guy a line:

http://members.tripod.com/DavidCuliner/music.htm

David's done just the sort of thing you're talking about...traveling across country, playing solo gigs along the way at any place that would have him. Good musician and a heckuva nice guy, too...

Tedster, I thought of you when I posted this. Thanks for the link. Anyway, I was going to tip you off to this girl... we've been discussin backing tracks... listen to this girl's song -- "Mayday." Click on the band version. I was thinking of you... this would not be that hard to do backing tracks on. I don't mean this song in particular, I'm just talking about the arrangement. A little bass, a little percussion, maybe a bit of strings.

BTW, I love her song... I think it's a fantastic song and I hope she does well. She's very good performing live, too.

Actually, here is a direct link --

Mayday - Wendy Colonna

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Hey, great tune! Really nice, laid back stuff. Voice maybe a little like Natalie Merchant.

Seems like it'd be pretty straightforward. Strings on a keyboard. I'm no keyboard player...but, actually, that sort of song lends itself well to whatever arrangement you give it, acoustic guitar, piano, whatever...anything would work.

Keep me posted...thanks, Duke...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Not sure how it is down there, but up here most clubs have an agent who books the room. The owner wouldn't dare book a band that wasn't though his agent.

If you want to tour the country, play the big clubs and do the "bar band" thing full time, you will need an agent.

Archived