Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Discovering new "old" music

Darcy H

Ever stumble into some music you should have known about but somehow missed?

I've got a pretty good collection of blues and some obscure stuff as well, yet somehow Johnny Winter got through.

Listening to "Hustled Down in Texas" right now....wow!!!

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. Although not really "obscure", I just rediscovered the Rolling Stones. I was pretty familiar with everything on Hot Rocks (who isn't?), but then I bought Some Girls and Exile on Main Street - two very different albums from different eras but great in their own right. I had no idea that I would/could be as "into" the Stones (and Keith Richards) as I am right now.

Mike

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

When I hear mainstream bands mentioned I hardly think of the word obscure. But I know what you mean. Memory Pain on that Winters is a fave too. That's all good stuff. Some of the coolest stuff there ever was though, seems to draw blank stares on these forums. A real pity.

He has a finger picking piece.... I think that it is Dixie and the Battle Hymn of the Republic melded together. As I remember it, it was killer. Haven't heard it in years though.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Bands with big catalogs like the Stones and the Who have a lot of good songs sitting on albums that aren't known for being their best. There's a lot of great stuff on Pete Townshend's solo albums, but every "classic rock" station keeps beating us over the head with Who's Next.

All hail the back catalog! :thu:

This happens all the time, and Billster you are oh-so-right about "classic rock" stations. Thank goodness for CD players!! The C.R. station in Cincy plays Creedence and Bob Seger to death, it got to the point where I just don't listen to that station at all anymore. It all comes down to the people you grow up with, family and freinds, and the music or groups you pick up on from them. My music teacher has turned me on to some good music, another benefit of taking lessons.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Yeah, I recently purchased the Derek and the Dominos Layla album for the first time and was amazed at how many really good songs were tucked in there. Made me feel kinda silly having waited so long. I mean, obviously I'd heard a good chunk of the album from the radio cuts but there's so much more to it. And the guitar tone is primo throughout.

It's like some comedian's bit about seeing a great older movie and wanting to run to work the next day and talk to everybody else about it; they all just look at you like you're an idiot.

None more black.

I remember hearing Linda Ronstadt's "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" years ago, thinking it was a great song, and reading the credits and seeing that Warren Zevon had written it.

I finally got to hear the late great Warren's version yesterday. :thu: Warren was da man...

Yep. Johnny Winter ruled my world back in the 70s. One of my favorite tunes is his re-working of "Rock Me Baby" off Still Alive and Well. The MoFo kicks azz.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

He has a finger picking piece.... I think that it is Dixie and the Battle Hymn of the Republic melded together. As I remember it, it was killer. Haven't heard it in years though.

Bill

Wasn't that Chet Atkins that did that? Maybe I'm wrong...

This happened with me and Nick Drake. Never heard of him until the Volkswagon commercial that used Pink Moon. I downloaded a bunch of his songs and like them all. I will definitly be buying the CDs. What a great talent he was.

Marc

Searching for a new sig

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

A couple of years ago, I discovered the Texas Tornados/Doug Sahm legacy. As a fan of Los Lobos and the Iguanas, I truly dug it.

After moving down her I became reacquainted with Doug. He's the Patron Saint of San Antonio Rock..So much diversity in his stuff over the years :cool: I think that I have just about all of his stuff in my I-tunes now (thanks to my friend Jaime!) There still is a movenent here to erect a statue of Doug (sorta like Stevies in Austin) but no-one has stepped up with the cash to persuade the City Council :rolleyes:
Lynn G

Originally posted by Tedster:

[QB]I remember hearing Linda Ronstadt's "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" years ago, thinking it was a great song, and reading the credits and seeing that Warren Zevon had written it.

I finally got to hear the late great Warren's version yesterday. :thu: Warren was da man...

...QB]

WZ wrote that as a gentle jibe at his friend/mentor Jackson Browne. Jackson has apparently returned the favor by recording PPPM for the new WZ tribute album.

Originally posted by Hush.:

This happened with me and Nick Drake. Never heard of him until the Volkswagon commercial that used Pink Moon. I downloaded a bunch of his songs and like them all. I will definitly be buying the CDs. What a great talent he was.

Marc

Yeah, I bought the entire Nick Drake catalog for the same reason. Sounded so new.... and he died in 1974.

If the Pink Moon style is what you liked best, just buy the "Pink Moon" CD.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Originally posted by rog951:

Yeah, I recently purchased the Derek and the Dominos Layla album for the first time and was amazed at how many really good songs were tucked in there. .

I can probably play four or five of those tunes, still. Yeah, great stuff. Same with Steve Stills "Manasas" album..... 2 disks of stuff, but in and among the typial are wonderful songs like "The Task" and "Johnny's Garden" (why I learned to play in open G...).

Bill

Steve Martin

GOD I LOVE THAT ALBUM! I used to have it years ago...always played "So Begins the Task" and "Colorado"

I remember it kicked off with "Song of Love". Cool tune too.

Thanks for reminding me...I have to add "So Begins" to my live acoustic repertoire. Plus, I've gotta pick that one up again. Too much good music on it.

Originally posted by Hfx_Buzz:

[QB]Ever stumble into some music you should have known about but somehow missed?

That's why God supports national public radio here in Canada & in the U.S.A.! :freak:

I write stuff all over the place when I hear it so I can track it down. To think of the small fraction of music we actually experience it's rather unfortunate.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived